TerraEarth Forums

TERRANIGMA ORIGINS: Updated 2/02/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like the idea?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

TheKing2
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Good to hear your doing your work thoroughly. I'm actually looking forward to playing your game too. I mean I love working and playing my own creation, but its a completely differnent thing playing a map you already worked a dozen times than something that is completely new to you. I quess you know what I mean^^

So, I watched the videos you uploaded, and here is my feedback so far (I'll provide sort of a list of things that need to/should be improved):

- Regarding the mapping: Its not that bad to begin with, but the maps really need more detail. Some little things laying around, etc.. more important, don't do recangular mapping (Terranigma Origins - Snow passage: the lake/river is basically just a straight line, this doesn't look naturally. Try improving it, by using a river-graphic that has softer edges, or simply by mapping the river more.. damn, I don't know the right word. Well, lets say, just avoid having a straight line of more then 5-6 fields anywhere. Just go one field down, map further, go up again, map further, go 2 up, ... hope you know what I mean. Looks way better that way).

- Regarding the graphics: Well, I'm not a huge fan of the rpg-makers rtp graphics. I assume you are using these, aren't you? Actually I imagined Terranigma-Graphics mixed with these to look much worse than it acutally do. I'd say, its fine, but I'd prefer a personal look (if you don't have a graphics-guy or are talented there yourself, there is not much you can do about it obviously). But its up to you.

- Sound/Music: The music is ok too, its missing, like the graphics, that kind of retro-feeling, but unless you use the original graphics+music, there is no way around this. Its not really necessary, just keep graphics and sounds like you want them, only change things if you get something better. But the screaming/moaning-sounds just annoy me. I'd simply remove them, as they sound out of place.

- The shield should not protect Ark from enemys, just projectiles. Not just because it was that way in terranigma, but I think it makes fights way to easy if you could just keep your finger over the "invincible"-key if things get thight.

- Arks walk-cycle looks messed up. It consists of 6 frames, wheres you are probably using the standard 4 ones. There are scripts around this limitation, and I would highly suggest you to get one for RGSS3, as most graphics of Ark are using more than 4 frames.

- If possible, I suggest you to get pixelmovement. It really makes things look and play more fluently. Until then, you really need to turn the movement speed down. Together with the broken walk cycle, Ark walking looks strange. What battle-system are you using anyway? I'm not a huge fan of this hack-and-slay-like thing with combos, etc, but I'm waiting for a demo or the release before I make up my mind.

- When Ark gets hit, you use his death-animation. You should use the correct one, looks much neater.

Thats about it. I know there is a lot of criticism, but keep in mind that its meant to help you.
Quote:

Story was originally written by an actor/ author who is listed on IMDB his name is Rico Banderas aka Rixtarian. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3648989/#Actor)

Sounds really cool, I just hope that he worked with you and not that you've stolen his work Wink Can you present a little bit of the story for us?

Quote:
Also note in Terranigma Origins you use a sword and spear as mentioned 4 years ago this is clearly logical and was approved. Even official art of Ark has a Sword when he is in Zue.

Hah, I've often seen this picture but never noticed the sword until yet. Its good to have a variety of weapons, though^^

So far, I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing more from this, just keep up the good work.
Rixstarian
Level 1: Huball

Gems 19

PostRixstarian Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

W/ the graphics, they're fine, regarding the system.

Map layout, a bit more reshaping ought to be done, yes.

Re: Shield issue, in Terranigma, the original, you could actually protect yourself from certain melee attacks. I play tested the game, & having it work directionally, as opposed to the omni-range protection of Terranigma's original system is more punishing, so it should be fine.

The combat system he's using to edit uses the same hit animation even for death, so it's not something that can be altered.

As for story, yes, it was a joint effort. It was enacted specifically for this project, after all.
TheKing2

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Re: Shield issue, in Terranigma, the original, you could actually protect yourself from certain melee attacks. I play tested the game, & having it work directionally, as opposed to the omni-range protection of Terranigma's original system is more punishing, so it should be fine.

I highly doubt the first part, as I've tested that thousands of times with each and every enemy that there is (in general, I think it wouldn't be unrealistic if I said I'm the person who definately spent the most time in Terranigma overall), but maybe I left out some. Ok, but if it doesn't protect you in all 4 directions, then I agree that it should be balanced out.

Quote:
The combat system he's using to edit uses the same hit animation even for death, so it's not something that can be altered.

Everything that is scripted can be altered. If I knew the name of the combat system he is using, I could give it a try myself. For my project I'm using the XAS, and I even edited things that are basic structures of it, aside from my custom made scripts. So it may or may not be easy to alter that, but it is definately possible. In the best case it would use the same constant at function calls for death and hit, that would mean creating a second constant. In the worst case it would call the same function, which means c+p'ing the function, renaming it slightly and altering the graphic there. Just quessing, but it's not likely to being anything other than that.

Quote:
As for story, yes, it was a joint effort. It was enacted specifically for this project, after all.

Thats fine, and it definetly made it easier for you to develope a good story. If you work with many people its easier to come up with something good, having to create a storyline all on myself was quite an exhausting progress, given that I didn't have any experience though.
Rixstarian

Gems 19

PostRixstarian Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I highly doubt the first part, as I've tested that thousands of times with each and every enemy that there is (in general, I think it wouldn't be unrealistic if I said I'm the person who definately spent the most time in Terranigma overall), but maybe I left out some.

Evidence: One such instance is the Dignal in the Ra Tree. When he roll charges, I was able to shield against it.
ergz
Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi King I respect u for copying Terranigma completely but I don't want to. I want to be original but maintain the terranigma feel. Which I have done. I'm making it in my own style. Only some things will remain original like some actor sprites and monster sprites and item sprites. Yes a lot of the tile sets r rtp they have been slightly modified. Some r mixed with terranigma tilesets where it is appropriate. For the so called screaming and moaning hahaha nearly all modern RPGs make the same sounds look at all the zelda games. It makes it more real. In addition my beta testers didn't mind it, however I will remove the charged sound I was told it gets annoying. Regarding the music some music is from teranigma some is not. This is personal choice. People I spoke to agreed for more tracks. Your personal preferences r due to u making ur game in what u believe is the correct way. I respect that and i dont judge u. Everyone has different views and is entitled to those views.I do agree with some of ur points but a lot of them r personal tastes. As for battle system or course it can be modified but my scripting is limited. I'm using XAS battle system as well. However note that Ruby scripting is slightly different in xp and vx ace. I will post the script for the vx ace battle system in this forum if u could modify it as per your suggestion it would b greatly appreciated. As mentioned all feedback i agree with I will try to incorporate . Where I do not agree will depend on whether it is feasible timely and personal choice. Thanks for the feedback and help. Any suggestion is welcomed Very Happy

Last edited by ergz on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
ergz

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps more info will b uploaded shortly . Take care all Very Happy
TheKing2

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
Hi King I respect u for copying Terranigma completely but I don't want to.

Thats perfectly fine, I don't want you to copy Terranigma as I've done. I do respect you for making your own thing, additionally it is better so that our games won't get compared too much. As you've choosen to create your own style no one can say "your game plays more than terranigma like his" or vice versa. Saves some trouble and is totally fine with me.

Quote:
I do agree with some of ur points but a lot of them r personal tastes.

Thats absolutely right, I though about directly mentioning that but as I see you got that point. Take this personal opinion of mine as you like, maybe you get some ideas of it, who knows Wink

Quote:
However note that Ruby scripting is slightly different in xp and vx ace. I will post the script for the vx ace battle system in this forum if u could modify it as per your suggestion it would b greatly appreciated.

In case of functions., yes, but syntax is mostly the same. If you post the code then I will easily be able to edit this. I already quessed that you were using the XAS, however the HUD looked kind of different. Did you create it on your own?

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and help. Any suggestion is welcomed Very Happy

Yeah there is something more, after I watched the intro-video on youtube:

- punctiation. As you may or not be aware, or may have already fixed it, punctuation is messed up. Grammar is fine, but there are missing some dots and mostly comma, and I thought there is on dot where a question mark should be. I don't need to explain why it is important to fix these, I would personally recommand reuploading the video. The intro looks really dark and stylish but the punctuation personally gives me the feel of it being not the professionally.

- regarding the story: I find it interesting so far, however there is one thing I do not understand: The black guy, Azmodai, mentions something about dark gaias resurrection. Didn't you mention this was a prequel? At least from the original Terranigma pre-story, as far as we know, Dark Gaia never had been dead. You might have added this fact as part of your own story which is fine, I did such things myself, or is this a scene after the end of Terranigma? One more thing, which is really just personal opinion: I've seen many attempts at a terranigma sequel/prequel, which mentions dark gaia getting resurrected. I think that to being a little bit unrealistic, even from the point of a fantasy story. Think about it: Humans like Ark get resurrected by e.g. light gaia. But dark gaia is a godess himself, with enormous powers, and probably not even a soul. His dead vanishes the underworld, and in order to resurrect this all, there would be an enormous power needed, even stronger than dark gaia. If Dark gaias resurrection really is the major part of the story, I wonder if/how you thought about that part? Would be glad to hear Smile

- this point is a little vage as I do not know the story, but: If resurrecting dark gaia is really the plan of Azmodai, you shouldn't really mention that directly in the intro. Just saying, I found it out to being better not to mention such things to early in the game. I would recommend you to just have him say "My plans for dark gaia are getting one step closer to fullfilment", or anything like that. This keeps the excitement from that pretty cool intro video. It also saves people questioning about dark gaias death (I think mentioning dark gaia and resurrection will have most people thing about a sequel).

Thats my feedback for the intro video. I like it so far, except of the punctuation thingy these points are more or less my opinion.

Just one thing to say, though:
Quote:

Where I do not agree will depend on whether it is feasible timely and personal choice.

The second point I respect you for doing so, but for "feasible timely".. I think it is not a good choise to judge from that point of view. If you can make your game twice as good but take it three times as long to finish, I would say you should do it. I quess you know what you are doing here, too.. My own experience was that I could have finished my game a long time ago. I just took my time to rework and improve everything, in a manner that it is definately not "fealisble timely". Time shouldn't be a factor here really, if you take a month longer to develope it but include a really cool feature, its worth it.

Good look with your further work Wink
ergz

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks soooo much about looking at the script for me that's real nice of u total respect! Yeah your right regarding the commas and so forth rixstarian is going to proof read it. I just want to get it all down 1st. Regarding The HUD yes I modified the script myself and made the grafix myself. Regarding the story: u misinterpreted the part about dark Gaia no fault of yours. I can see how it can be easily misinterpreted. Total valid point!!!!
. I will adjust this in the backstory of the game. This is what is meant: "dark Gaia is not dead". He is alive but in the underworld. He wants to come to the over world. Azmodai, belial and Ishtar are dark gaia's generals / followers. They r helping dark Gaia come into the overworld. Hence resurrection into the overworld. Regarding hiding this part of the story is wrong. U misunderstood the meaning behind the game which only by playing u will understand. I will explain it tho cause it does not ruin the game. Dark Gaia being resurrected is not the big thing. The big thing about this game is how the hell did ark die??? What else did elle do in asterica when she got godlike powers??? Did ark diie from drinking the goblet? Why was ark buried in Dryvale. How did Ark and Ell get linked??? How did the world finaly get destroyed. How did the continents get destroyed. All these mysteries and more that where behind terranigma 1 are answered in this game. And it is the quest for knowledge and understanding about the original game that makes this story truly wonderfull. It truly links the past to the present terranigma which we have all come to love. Hopefully it will entice people who have never played terranigma to play it. Excuse spelling I'm on this on my mobile lol.

Last edited by ergz on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
ergz

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out the link on the 1st page of this topic. It has the heading "for more information about the game click the link below". I have yet updated the info on this forum but the Info on that link is totaly up to date . I will update this one soon.

Also question.
I'm sure u can answer this for me since u actualy re-engineered pandoras box.

If I make an event that teleports u to a special map example inside pandora's box. How do I get the character to teleport to the exact same location that he just came from on prior map??

So far I have this logic:
If button is pressed " example x"
Teleport hero from map 1 to map 2 co-ordinates x,y.

The above logic works . But for event 2

If button is pressed "example x"
Teleport from map2 back to map1( which could be any map that the player just came from prior to this teleport)

I can't get the above to work properly.

I can return from map 2 back to map 1 (by using gamedata mapid= variable) but I don't know how to tell the program the x and y co-ordinates for the hero to return to. I need this for my custom combo system. Where players can create there own moves by combining special attacks with rings. If I can't do it I will change the system.

I somehow need to store the x, y co-ordinates as two separate variables. Variable 1=x , variable 2=y. But how do I do that?

If u can answer the above my problem would b solved. If u have a better method let me know.Cheers
TheKing2

Gems 434

PostTheKing2 Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now I understand. Obivously as you said "resurrecting" can be easily misunderstood here. Now it makes sense, sounds very interesting to me so far, I just hope you find a better word for resurrection here.

Quote:
If u can answer the above my problem would b solved. If u have a better method let me know.Cheers

Well in RPG-Maker Xp you could store players x/y-coordinates directly in a variable. I could probably write a little script to provide this function to the vx ace in now time, but..

However, this won't work with what you said that you want. Let me explain why:

When teleporting the player to a different map, all events and therefore all enemys will reset. Hp, position, just everything. And thats the least of your worries, really. I used to have the box as a map, and aside from all the bugs it caused, it was a pain in the ass to handle it. For every new item, I had to create dozens of events to handle all cases, and so on..

So you have two choices:

- look for a script that stores all events when entering the box and restores them when leaving. Won't get you rid of the other problems, too, so you could just

- learn RGSS3 and write the box as a scene(it's doable, I knew only little bit about C++ and learned ruby to an extent that I could write my own box-scene in less than a few days of time). This is the optimal solution, at least from the game's quality point of view. Using a Scene for the box won't cause any trouble, when you switch back to the Scene_Map everything will be just as you left it. You can also use algorythms to handle item display/usage, etc..

I would even help you out with the second option, but I'm just too busy at the moment, being in the pre-release beta-phase of my own game now. Hope my answer helps you out, too
ergz

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks heaps. Yeah its pointless ur right. Image being in a boss battle and trying to do that the boss would b full health again hahahahhaha. All good I already had a plan b prepared in case I hit a wall like that. I'll probably post my XAS script tomorrow . Just got heaps to study got exam in 2 weeks. After that it's full commitment to the game can't wait!
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in the intro I noticed a misspelling myself: "sole" should be "soul" Very Happy

/so terribly, terribly behind

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
ergz

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

inferiare wrote:
Yeah, in the intro I noticed a misspelling myself: "sole" should be "soul" Very Happy

Very Happy
Yeah a lot of people mentioned that lol. Thanks, always good to have people check over things as other people sometimes miss out. Fixed in game.

I'll fix the video when I have time.
ergz

Gems 622

Postergz Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

https://rapidshare.com/files/3663949905/XAS.txt
JacobyFirox

Gems 17

PostJacobyFirox Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to be able to test this game. After playing through Soul Blazer and Terranigma, and playing Illusion of Gaia through for the millionth time, I'd love to be able to get a first crack at playing a new game in the franchise, be it unofficial or not. I like the way it's looking so far, and when it gets finished, I can't wait to play. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: