TerraEarth Forums

The Pro's and Con's of Resident Evil 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:25 am   Post subject: The Pro's and Con's of Resident Evil 4 Reply with quote

(Although it's been out for a month now, I've felt oblidged to write up a quick review of the game)

I've been playing games for years now. I've found some games, though pretty weak, I became enveloped in them, to see them out, or to just say I have beaten it. It's fun as hell to do- but, not everything fun is usually all that good. Case and point: Resident Evil 4.

Don't get me wrong. It's probably the single greatest Capcom game ever produced (I can't say anything for the Devil My Cry series, as I have not played any of them) however, the game has many varied flaws, and it's something that comes down to what works: Formula.

The first three Resident Evils, in my opinion, were brilliant examples of how a game can be old yet still stand the test of time. Zombies are never gonna go away, we'll always have a reassurgence at some point. However, Resident Evil 4's first flaw is the loss of the zombie. The idea of villagers somehow possessed is pretty cool though, and is the basic "Replacement" for the zombies. But I kinda miss the zombies that grab you, and bite you, while blood spurts out as they bite. That would've been something pretty cool to see in the (Yes, THE) best looking game on the market.

However, instead we have villagers who just shake you violently and toss you away.

Also another loss is the crate system, as instead you have an atache case, and any weapon/item can be discarded. Now, only ammo/health/weapons can be placed into the atache case, as everything else (Valuables/artifacts/keys/) have a complete menu of their own.

The actual targeting system takes a little time to get used to, as the other games were basically auto-aim button, and just fire. Add's the difficulty up a notch, but once you've got it down, the game becomes fairly easy enough.

I really don't want to go into any boss battles, but some of them (One of which you take on Two El- Gigante's) was nearly impossible- I was down to two bullets in my handgun (After firing three 100 rounds of machine gun fire, nearly 50 shotgun shells, 20 handgun shots, and about ten grenades (Of various types)

Anyway, some of the boss battles are extremely cool and inventive. The story is as good as they come- something has infected the populus of a town, and a single person is sent in to retrieve the president's kidnapped daughter. The actor's is above par here- Leon's cold, and uncaring of the outside world. The original actress who played Ada (Sally Cahill) returns, and puts on a B+ performance, better than RE 2. The bad guys are a little annoying, but that's no difference from any other RE game. The girl you have to save, as always, has the loudest and most obnoxious voice you could imagine.

All things asside, Resident Evil 4 by all startards is a great game, and a sign of relief, for people awaiting the continuation of the story (After RE: Code Veronica back in 2000), but after all the wait, it's, for the most part, worth it, although I hope zombies are due for a return in the next time.

Controls: 8/10 (The controls during button taping scenes sometimes do not work, but otherwise very good)

Replayability: 6/10 (Secrets, but not enough like RE 2 for multiple play-throughs...)

Story: 7/10 (The usual Resident Evil fare comes again, big disaster, island/town about to explode)

Overall: 7 (Good game and definately worth playing, so, if you can afford it and want to, go out and get it (Or else)

SBiF
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I love finding flaws in games like that...

As for the DMC series, there are a lot of things left to be desired, but they're still fun to play (and you don't have to worry about reloading ammo! XD)

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
0c.
Level 4: Living Statue

Level 4: Living Statue

Gems 1,053

Post0c. Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hey SBiF, did you imply sound and graphics to your overall?
well, thx for the reivew, good to see some gamers opinion on this one.

I'll probably play the import from the UK, or maybe visit Blade in Austria to get RE4 Wink
Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you want a freaky game?
play any of the Silent Hill games (particularly SH:3)
try and sleep after a good 3 hours of that Sad
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freaky is in "Fatal Frame". In "Silent Hill" you get shyte like guns and stuff, in "Fatal Frame" you're armed with a camera. I can't play that game for long... Confused

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
and I was very peed off with the GBA requirement
I was sitting with Rarno and a mate of mine, all our controllers plugged in, waiting for the start screen then after selecting Multiplayer, it says connect your GBA, which was really just a huge kick in the teeth Mad
Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionicle the Game were very disappoinment one for me. It supported to be adventure/RPG or quest game when I saw a '01 trailer but few years later, it changed to short-time platform with little of bosses or not doing something heroic like Zelda. Collect the crystals to unlock secrets? Boring. This whole game wasnt match any of Bionicle things like masks became whole heads or bodies dont look like Lego-type.
'01 trailer, found in mini-cd along with any of marked 2001 toa sets, show a washed canister rest on shore of Mata Nui then blast off the pieces of Onua, Toa of Earth, into beach. Later, he woke up and put himself together. He pick up his mask (my favorite scene) and wander deep into heart of Mata Nui. Message appear and announced about new game and when it's release to public. But it support be out in Fall '01 but it did come out in Winter 2003. Mad

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Axe Kazama wrote:
I just bought Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
and I was very peed off with the GBA requirement
I was sitting with Rarno and a mate of mine, all our controllers plugged in, waiting for the start screen then after selecting Multiplayer, it says connect your GBA, which was really just a huge kick in the teeth Mad

yes ... quite annoying ... we were all ready go around in a team on a game we had never played and kick arse ... and out comes this message saying we need gba's and the connectors Mad ... luckily our mate had bought Tales of Symphonia(correct spelling?) ... we had about five battles before we died ... my character was slooooooow Sad ... axe and our mate were just sucky Laughing
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Crystal Chronicles can be cool if you're willing to shell out a ton of cash for all the stuff you'll need.

ToS is better, since it's all on controllers. My brother has wanted to join in the battles lately, and he's a real liability. Neutral

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing FF:CC is fun with multiplayer though, if you have the connectors and friends to play with. Here in the states, if you preordered it, you got the GBA connector with the game.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Muerte

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

well we all got the connectors today, since axe has 2 gba's our mate has one and i have one t'was all good Cool Guy

however unfortunately for axe he had to go to work so our mate, me, and axe's two little bro's played FF:CC ... t'was awesomic Very Happy
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, it's probably more fun with four people, but it's still fun even with two people. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Muerte

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

4 people makes it confusing at times Neutral
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus there'll be a lot of arguing over the artifacts at the end of the level. Very Happy

Muerte

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

nope ... just a lotta 'goddamnit' when i get the artifact for an extra heart Very Happy ... only the first time i didn't get first ... and i still got what i wanted ... extra command slot Very Happy ... and the reason i didn't get first pick then is cause i didn't read which one i was supposed to be doing ... 'don't use focus attacks' or something ... of course that was all i did other than the odd cure Neutral ... pays you to read
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: