TerraEarth Forums

Does it get any better?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamechampionx
Level 8: Amarante

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:11 pm   Post subject: Does it get any better? Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to play Terranigma for the umteenth time. So many people rave about how fun it is but I can't seem to enjoy the levels. The five towers are fun but Greycliff was like pulling teeth - drab scenery, very little to be interested in.

I'm currently in Zue, I got three rainfall alters sorted out, and then I follow the logical path that leads me back to the beginning of the level! Ok, so I decided to leave and come back and then the level reset itself! This game is literally driving me up the wall.

Does the level design get any better later on in the game? I enjoy the play style (minus the magic system) and the story but the levels aren't doing it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

compare the level design to other games on the snes and they will all lose (chrono trigger, zelda, lufia, secret of mana 2/3 etc.).

Quote:
I'm currently in Zue, I got three rainfall alters sorted out, and then I follow the logical path that leads me back to the beginning of the level! Ok, so I decided to leave and come back and then the level reset itself! This game is literally driving me up the wall.

no offense, but i first beat the game when i was like... 10? Very Happy
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
compare the level design to other games on the snes and they will all lose (chrono trigger, zelda, lufia, secret of mana 2/3 etc.).

Quote:

no offense, but i first beat the game when i was like... 10? Very Happy

lolroflmfao Laughing

but i have to admit, the zue lvl design really is kinda strange cause i always had trouble finding the altars =/

the fascinating thing about TN is its story... i had to play though it for at least two times to get it, i mean, whats REALLY going on XD you'll see as you advance further in the game, young gamer, so strave out into this vast world and return as an immortal hero~

uh, something like that Very Happy

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
gamechampionx

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with you psychokind - Terranigma's level design doesn't trump the majority of the games on the SNES. It seems like they try to make the levels really non-linear but most of the paths don't really lead to much. There aren't many good treasures you find as a result of trudging through all of the extra locations within the levels.

I liked Secret of Mana, where the palaces had additional paths leading to bonus items like weapon orbs.

I'm at the beginning of the third chapter right now. That last dungeon (the snow level) was a bit better than some of the earlier ones which is kind of reassuring. I'm sorta holding out for some good story at this point and some good dungeons to come up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry, as soon as you found the star stones, you'll be like Surprised, Eek!, Scared, Exclamation, Question, Yikes! and Mouth drops open

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:
I'm at the beginning of the third chapter right now. That last dungeon (the snow level) was a bit better than some of the earlier ones which is kind of reassuring. I'm sorta holding out for some good story at this point and some good dungeons to come up.

youre about through the intro to the game now, the awesome stuff begins soon. (sylvian castle is one of my favourite in any game).

have fun in louran ^^ took me a while to figure that place out when i first played
Level 4: Living Statue

Gems 1,053

Post0c. Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:

I liked Secret of Mana, where the palaces had additional paths leading to bonus items like weapon orbs.

And thats really lame. Yo can find those in almost any game, you know where you gotta go, but you are forced to take the wrong path to get the extra.

I rather liked the idea of Terranigma's "take the worng path and you know you fucked up".

I must admit Terranigma got boring after the underworld, that flower part was ok, that bird part was boring, but helping simba the lion was very cool Very Happy

Anyway, look forward to chapter 3 + 4 (the humans part), thats were the game gets REALLY exciting.

I forgot to say: Don't you EVER use a FAQ or a walkthrough for Terranigma... NEVER
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

0c wrote:
I forgot to say: Don't you EVER use a FAQ or a walkthrough for Terranigma... NEVER

indeed. its not worth it. enjoy the game, and all its frustration (cough starstone locations cough)

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

After starting chapter 3, I was sent on a little quest to find some girl. After talking to the townspeople for a while and wandering around aimlessly, I go to find her.

I get to her and she tells me to go away. I figure it's one of those cutscenes where you're about to leave the area and she tells you to wait or something but she actually just lets me run away, so I go back to the guy who sent me and he tells me nothing new.

Apparently, I was supposed to sleep in the inn, causing the town to turn into zombies. Then, I got back to pick up the girl, and the path to her room is blocked off, I have no idea of where I'm supposed to go and there's no story development presented.

I don't think I'm going to bother finishing the game.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:
Apparently, I was supposed to sleep in the inn, causing the town to turn into zombies. Then, I got back to pick up the girl, and the path to her room is blocked off, I have no idea of where I'm supposed to go and there's no story development presented.

You definitely should stop playing Terranigma. I swear I never said this to anybody before Very Happy

Gems 1,053

Post0c. Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:
After starting chapter 3, I was sent on a little quest to find some girl. After talking to the townspeople for a while and wandering around aimlessly, I go to find her.

Wandering around and talking aimlessly to people will lead (in several occasions) to some very interessting gameplay-changing sidequests.

Quote:
and there's no story development presented.

You don't seem to enjoy non-linear gameplay as you seem to need a strict plot line to advance. Well, u shud just give it up.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:

I get to her and she tells me to go away. I figure it's one of those cutscenes where you're about to leave the area and she tells you to wait or something but she actually just lets me run away, so I go back to the guy who sent me and he tells me nothing new.

but ur like 2 dungeons away from the most awesome dungeon in the whole game 0_0 not to mention the bitchiest boss.

and yes louran is annoying. basically you have to drop down a hole somewhere, get a holy seal, then walk through a wall some zombies are walking through (outside the inn). oh and theres a dog involved, need to find a scarf for him to sniff.

lol first time i played louran the zombies and music creeped me out. but now i find its quite fun

Gems 3,076

Postgamechampionx Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stopped playing actually.

I like non-linear gameplay when there's enough back-story and reason for doing what you're doing. The game seemed linear up to a point and then just stopped making sense to me. I mean, there was a single plotline which ended up with me in Louran and the plot just seemed to basically die off when that girl refused to follow me.

How was I supposed to know about that inn thing?
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:

How was I supposed to know about that inn thing?

well, common-rpg-sense: if an inkeeper says sth that differs from "you want to stay? it's 20 gold a night" - rest!

i personnaly think that it's not a good thing to blame a game's story or self-assert that the plot is ending if you're just not able to come up with conclusions Very Happy

Gems 1,053

Post0c. Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

gamechampionx wrote:

I like non-linear gameplay when there's enough back-story and reason for doing what you're doing.

Thats not "non-linear". Non-linear means you have plenty of options to do things that have absolutely nothing to do with the story line.
Non-linear games like Terranigma and Fallout just won't give you that clear line to finish the game and that's the way you get to explore the whole game.

Quote:
i personnaly think that it's not a good thing to blame a game's story or self-assert that the plot is ending if you're just not able to come up with conclusions Very Happy

Very Happy Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: