TerraEarth Forums

Stories of awesomeness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:17 pm   Post subject: Stories of awesomeness Reply with quote

I was in the middle of a game, and the battle I was in panned out in an awesome way. So I thought I'd share the story, and see if anyone else has some kind of story where they just lucked out, beat the odds, or put some serious skill to work.

My story today:

I was playing FF IV (DS version), going in to a boss fight against Mom Bomb. The battle started out with no problems, until it exploded after storing up its energy. I guess I was fairly under-leveled, because even with everyone defending, it still killed Cecil, Rydia and Edward (leaving Yang with about 500 HP and Rosa near death).

The next turn, one of the mini-bombs attacks and kills Rosa. Yang is the last man standing.

I threw a couple of kicks with Yang, but I could see he couldn't handle them all on his own. Especially since they started self-destructing and really taking his health down.

After a bomb self-destructed, Yang was left with 1 HP. Not exaggerating, not making shit up... my last surviving character had 1 HP.

And here's where it turns around:

- On his turn, I got a phoenix down in for Rosa.
- Waiting for their gauges to fill, and Yang's comes up first. Another P. Down for Cecil.
- Rosa hits 'cura' for all 3.
- Wait for their turns... Cecil easily withstands a couple of attacks.
- Cecil gets a P. Down for Rydia.
- Yang gets a P. Down for Edward.
- Rosa hits 'cura' for all 5.
- A couple of offensive spells later, the fight is over.

And not only did I very narrowly avoid a game over, but all 5 came out alive, thus allowing everyone to share the experience gained from the fight. Plus, it capped off a pretty cool comeback to boot. Cool Guy

So, how about you folks? Any stories you want to share?

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a similar story with FF8, fighting the GFs Sacred and Minotaur (aka the GF Brothers)

hardly as intense as yours, but basically i was attacking them, and since i was confident i could win (having played the game before and knowing how to "abuse" limit breaks), i didnt bother using the 'float' spell to nullify their regeneration.

so i had squall, quistis and zell, i believe. attacking, i manage to kill one of the brothers. the second brother then uses an attack that deals damage to everyone, killing zell and quistis, and leaving squall on about 100hp. (thats not a big amount, considering the guy's attacks deal about 150 damage each).

by my calculations, he would have had close to 1000 hp left, and my attacks only deal 200 or so damage at best.

what do you know... i get a limit break. and that finishes him. i must have mis-calculated the remaining hp, it didnt do as much damage as i thought i needed.

being a boss inh ff8, no exp is awarded, so i was rather content with the victory. not really a comeback, just a last turn ditch that happened to go in my favour.

i also had one for lufia 2, playing on retry mode. (4x exp and 4x gold). the first time you fight gades, you're supposed to lose, get laughed at, and continue with the story. so, using save states, i went to see if i could beat him. turns out, he does the exact same thing no matter what you decide for your characters.

basically, i knew who he was going to hit, and approximately for how much damage. this is where all the 'champion' spells come in. so i heal whoever is going to be hit, and everyone else attacks with all their might.

in the end i did win, but one of my characters died. as a result, i got an uber item (the Gades Blade, pretty much has the ability to hit 8 times in one turn when used), and a massive load of exp. the character that died (Selan) ended up about 7 levels (no joke) behind everyone else., as she is supposed to be the most initially skilled fighter in the game

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came off another close boss fight in FF IV. At this rate, I'll have about half a dozen stories just from this game.

Fight against Cagnazzo:

I went in to this one having not saved after fighting Baigan... I forgot it was coming (having not played FF IV for years now). So a game over would have sucked.

The fight started off ok; I quickly figured lightning to be his weakness, and had my mages casting their strongest spells to chip away at him (and keeping his Tsunami attack at bay). Yang's kick also came in handy.

It wasn't a hard fight at first, but I quickly ran out of supplies; I only had a few ethers, a couple of phoenix downs... fortunately, plenty of hi-potions, which let me conserve my white mage's MP for raising and group healing.

Damn Cagnazzo retreated in to his shell, so I just pounded away at him (which he negated by healing repeatedly... I hate Cagnazzo).

And then... uh oh... my mages are out of MP, and can no longer cast lightning spells. He builds his water surge up and unleashes Tsunami, which instantly kills everyone but Cecil.

Thinking he had to be near death by now, I had Cecil engage him in some one-on-one combat for a while; fortunately, Cagnazzo is an idiot and wasted a fair number of turns casting slow and paralysis spells, which wasn't affecting Cecil. He fired off a couple more Tsunamis too, but I could heal enough before it hit to survive.

Once I got ahead of him (healed up plenty, and he was casting slow spells), I got to use my last phoenix down for Yang. One last kick from Yang finished him off (which did about as much damage as 3 of Cecil's attacks... so Cecil probably could have finished the job himself, but what the hell... at least Yang got some experience out of it).

With only two out of five people alive, there was plenty of experience for them to share. Cecil leveled up 6 times afterwards, and Yang 3 times.

If I hadn't brought Yang back to life, Cecil could have gotten around 10 levels for that.

Not quite as tense as my last story (though seeing 4 characters die at once isn't cool), but still a good victory.

Seriously, fuck Cagnazzo. Fuck him in the butt. Mad

u8312n008
Level 2: Whisp

Level 2: Whisp

Gems 40

Postu8312n008 Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i was playing thief deadly shadows, on the part where you need to snek past lady elizabeth. well i sniped one of her thugs and get this, the other thug killed her, so then i just sniped him, lol
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. While playing my import of FF4, Cagnazzo and Mother Bomb kicked my ass (same reasons you got your ass kicked, dark knight). Changed up my strats a little, and they died. Of course now I'm stuck in my import version, since I can't read too much moonspeak and I need to go through the magnetic cave. Sad

However, I have the English version, so. Cool

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: