TerraEarth Forums

Next Zelda game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 am   Post subject: Next Zelda game? Reply with quote

Do we know anything about the next Zelda game they're going to make, or if they are even planning to make another one. I can't imagine them not making more games. maybe I'm just impatient, but i cant find anything about any future games on the internet.

Anyways, anyone got any hopes, expectations and such that they wan tout of any future games. Personally i would just want to see them try something incredibly different then the usual Zelda formula.

-The Fence Master
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard something about them making a 'real' wii zelda. twilight princess was intended to be a cube game, after all. i dont have a source, but this does seem a logical move.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
ive heard something about them making a 'real' wii zelda. twilight princess was intended to be a cube game, after all. i dont have a source, but this does seem a logical move.

Let's all hope so. Since the Zelda-games were always using the full bandwidth of technology the chances for a real good sword-swinging next Zelda are pretty good. Hopefully it will be as good as the Dragonball fighting-games Very Happy

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:

Let's all hope so. Since the Zelda-games were always using the full bandwidth of technology the chances for a real good sword-swinging next Zelda are pretty good. Hopefully it will be as good as the Dragonball fighting-games Very Happy

but lets hope it isnt anything close to a fighting game... so many games waste their potential by becoming fighters... (im mainly thinking of the anime-based games)
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So far there are no anoucements regarding the next Zelda beyond the announcement made by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata that the Zelda production team is "working." Prior to that the only announcement regarding future titles was that Twilight Princess would be the last "traditional" title. Which would make Phantom Hourglass either the first in a new wave of Zelda games, or a shrewd spin off capping the end of the old games.

No one knows what's in store for the Zelda series now. There are several directions they could go. Such as:

1.) Make "interaction" games that utilize Wii and DS features, therby killing the glory of the Zelda series completely
2.) Take it in a more "RPG-ish" direction ala Zelda II.
3.) Make an actual sequal instead of prequals and spin-offs.
4.) Or the most likely, re-invent the wheel ala Ocarina of Time/Wind Waker. (i.e. new art direction/story direction/recurring characters)

Whatever they do, if they don't direct it towards the hardcore consumer, the series will most definately die. After all, it's been a downhill slide ever since Ocarina of Time came out and made the story more complicated than it needed to be. (but then again, there aren't many who care about that...)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

1.) Make "interaction" games that utilize Wii and DS features, therby killing the glory of the Zelda series completely

Gotta disagree with this one. The only Zelda that's used any specific 'interacton' features was Phantom Hourglass (I'm not counting TP, since it was never intended for the Wii; it was ported to strengthen the launch), and PH was fantastic.

A new Zelda is in the works for the Wii, so its functionality won't be tacked on at the last minute. Nintendo pretty much always takes care to really polish their top titles, so I have no doubt that a Zelda with Wii-specific functions could work really well. Especially if they make good use of this Wii-mote plus accessory, or whatever it's called.

Quote:
3.) Make an actual sequal instead of prequals and spin-offs.

Also this one. Majora's Mask followed OoT, PH followed WW. If I'm not mistaken, Link's Awakening follows LttP as well.

After OoT, MM comes next, with WW and PH following after. TP takes place between those two pairs, which would make it a sequel and prequel (as is my understanding). I guess Minish Cap is a prequel, though it's questionable whether Four Swords / Adventures count, since their intent was on multiplayer gameplay.

At any rate, to answer the original question, yes... a new Zelda is in the works. But that's about all we know about it. It'll use the Wii's features somehow, since TP was the 'last Zelda as we know it'. A lot of people were hoping Nintendo would show something at E3, but there was no word of it.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you think about it though, the only games that really take place after the original games are the ones in the ALttP story arc. The majority of the Zelda games have been backstory and sequals to backstories.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. But it's hard to say, since there's still no canon timeline.

Miyamoto once said in an interview that OoT was the oldest story; the first in the timeline. 6 years later, Minish Cap comes along, and that one is often accepted as being pre-OoT. Others say it isn't. Who's to say it's a prequel or not?

And that's definitely not the only example.

Even if you accept that the early games take place at the end (and there are always timeline theories that do and don't), it's hard to fault Nintendo for prequels. They've given themselves hundreds (or thousands) of years of backstory to fill in. It wouldn't make for much of a story if thousands of uneventful years passed by.

It would be a lot easier if Nintendo would just release the canon timeline they claim to have, but they don't seem particularly interested in a timeline at all; they just set games' times to appease fans. Meh/Worried

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...

*sigh*

Those bastards.

Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some things like certain video games, TV series or books aren't ment/not build to have a timeline...maybe because it'd stray away from what the game/book/series is about.

F.ex. The Simpsons
Many people love them, like I do, but some are so obsessed with them that they're trying to figure out who's birthday is when, and how to put an order into the episodes.
But it's not possible because there are like 3 christmas episodes where Bart and Lisa are the same age :p

Dragonball on the other hand has a well structured time line, and maybe in the early episodes it's not *that* clear, they still managed to add these episodes into the newer DB Z episodes-timeline.

And *maybe* Zelda wasn't intended for that. In the first games, it was *just* a (quite clicheeique) fantasy game. Same with the next. Andsoforth, until OoT and MM.

It's up to everyone, but I for myself see no point in forcing the Zelda games into a timeline.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would honestly prefer to think that they're not connected. It'd be kind of like the Final Fantasy or Soul Blazer series in that way. However, they keep claiming that there's a timeline and they keep reffering to other games in each new game, so even if you wanted to pretend there's no timeline there is, even if there isn't.

To put it simply: Nintendo is retarded.

Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit, the only Zelda games I've played are:

ALttP, OoT, MM, Links Awakening, Oracles (not finished), and a bit of TwPr.

I had a halfassed attempt on the first game of the series, but I never really got the story, and I didn't care much for it, since it's far away from the deep storys and colourfull characterdrawing ALttP, Oot andsoon had...

Soooo, I've only played the important ones (or plan to do so), and might not understand any signs of a full epic timeline-thingy that might go on.
And if there is a waterproofed timeline, Nintendo hides it very well -.-
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Linear timelines can be nice, though. Especially for those that make the games. They aren't constrained by "Well, what Hyrulian year would this take place in?! D:" That way they can fill in the gaps as they go along. They know that OoT was one of the first things that happened, they cab say "Hm, what about the next game? It can be placed at x time, and y can be happening!"

With something so linear, there can be multiple games wherever they want. It doesn't necessarily have to be in chronological order, either. Miyamoto might know the timeline, but why reveal it? More fun to hear fan speculation on the small amount of info he's given us.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oot you appoint the sages, rescue Zelda and kill Ganondorf. And while being sucked into the Aether he screams "I'll kill your descendants once I'm outta here!". And well, you kill Ganon once again in Lttp when he trys to kill the descendants.

So the descendant of Link (Link again) kills Ganon who is free again and rescues the descendant of Zelda (Zelda again?). That being said, I always thought the different games of Zelda never had an all-together timeline (The Windwaker is then another future of Lttp with Link and Zelda again?).
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
In Oot you appoint the sages, rescue Zelda and kill Ganondorf. And while being sucked into the Aether he screams "I'll kill your descendants once I'm outta here!". And well, you kill Ganon once again in Lttp when he trys to kill the descendants.

So the descendant of Link (Link again) kills Ganon who is free again and rescues the descendant of Zelda (Zelda again?). That being said, I always thought the different games of Zelda never had an all-together timeline (The Windwaker is then another future of Lttp with Link and Zelda again?).

Same to Ganondorf (aka Ganon demon with power of triforce). In OoT, It said that every 100 years, only male was born in Gerudo tribe. Could be same Ganondorf in most games or just different men with same name from same tribe? Also, LttP manual book mentioned his last name "Dragmire".
Whatever, I think OoT is "beginning" game in timeline. LttP and TP possibly have same servant to Ganondorf, attempted to bring him and his darkness world into Light World and same Magic Mirror linked both worlds together.
Also anyone notice lands in games is completely different from each other? Like Hylian castles and deserts?

Funny thing about Nintendo... They did have Metroid timeline in straight way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: