TerraEarth Forums

New Nintendo 'Revolution' and DS details
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:17 am   Post subject: New Nintendo 'Revolution' and DS details Reply with quote

GDC 2005: Nintendo Announces New Revolution And DS Details and Reggie Fils-Aime Interview
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few articles about the Revolution. Kind of hard to decide whether I'll get one or not (probably will), since not much info is out yet. But I do like how it's backwards compatible, so I won't have to repurchase my entire Gamecube library again.

Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

More clear details and new DS games from Official Nintendo website.

Quote:
Revolution: Iwata announced that Revolution will feature built-in Wi-Fi protocols, which will allow users around the world to connect with one another wirelessly. Revolution’s technological heart, a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," are being designed to deliver game experiences not possible to date.

Wi-Fi wireless feature.... Better than pay for online and cable internet like Xbox Live? I love that idea.

Quote:
Nintendo DS: Iwata announced that the Wi-Fi protocol for Nintendo DS will provide users with a link to other players across the country or around the world. Once the service begins later this year, Nintendo DS users will be able to connect to the service wirelessly at Wi-Fi hot spots, whether they’re at home, in a hotel or at a coffee shop. As one of several Wi-Fi games, Nintendo’s in-house development team is creating a new Animal Crossing game for global Wi-Fi play.

Another good idea Nintendo ever gone with heldhand console. Do they able do it on wireless-enabled games like currently Pokemon games include comeup Emerald version?
Did I heard about new-generation gameboy Nintendo working on or is they 'rumors'?

I heard there's a second Metroid game for DS being in development and will be available this holiday season. It involve with pinballs samilar to GBA Mario Pinball. But it's still a rumor until '05 E3.
Previously known as Aoiga

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 1,121

Postblueisalive Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a little about this. I kinda, well, despise nintendo right now so I am not too excited. Not to say this isn't exciting, I am just not... Ecstatic.

Yay! I won something!
Thanx raini for the great sigs!
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the bastards at Nintendo have sayd almost nothing.

Backward compatibility is surprising tought. I don't think it is an exciting feature but it will boost their sales, tought I will probably use it.

Wifi is interesting, tought I hope it has support for using normal DSL so I don't have to get wireless. So far the only feature that I am interested in.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathpit: Yes, I've heard there is a Metroid game in the works. I don't exactly remember the name, but I'm thinking "Metroid: Hunters", or something similar, and that it's got more focus on multiplayer. (Pinballs? Haven't heard that before Confused)

Coz: Yes, backwards compatibility is nothing new.... the PS2 has it, so you can play your PS1 games on it. Still, it's good news; if I pick up a Revolution, I won't have to purchase my Gamecube library again. And I won't have to start from scratch, waiting for games to come out.

As for the wireless bit, from what I've read, it's only local, so don't expect something like X-Box online or anything. I'm guessing there's only a certain range that it'll work for. Still, it's a step in the right direction. People have complained that Nintendo only focuses on connectivity instead of online play, and they're gradually making their way there.

I'm not too excited about the Revolution yet.... I guess because it's so far away (I've heard it won't come out until at least 2006). But I've also read that it'll be a lot more than just an upgraded Gamecube, so my interest will rise as the release date gets closer.

*Thinks of Zelda on the Revolution* Very Happy

Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, I still doubt about its controllers and another hardwares like ability to use GC memory cards. I feel Nintendo need to focus on controllers to get game developers' attentions. I suspect their controllers may include a touch screen like DS does. But I rather to see more buttons than limited to controls. That's why I felt that game developers perfer controllers with many buttons.
I'm have difference time with GC controllers due to Z button's position and shoulder buttons give me 'finger aches'. Or D-pad and analog stick in wrong places. I dont see any third-party controllers had different layout expect Niko did with their wireless controller by replacing GC's original layout with PS layout, classic Snes buttons, add extra Z button, and made both analog sticks and D-pad more pressure-sensitive. Only bad thing Niko did - replaced rumble motors with ridiculous cooling fans. Whjy they did it? I dont know...

I still hold my breath for unrevealing of Nintendo 'Revolution' at E3 '05..... Very Happy

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

More buttons on a controller isn't always good. That's for the games, mainly.... when there's a ton of buttons, developers usually feel obligated to give each button a different function. Just leads to some confusing controls sometimes.

I've heard a lot of people complain about Nintendo's controllers in the past.... mainly the N64 and GC ones. I've never had a problem with them, myself. The GC controller is especially good, I find. The buttons are far enough apart so you won't hit the wrong one by mistake, and their different shapes mean you can just feel your way around the controller in a second.

I haven't heard anything about touch screens on the Revo's controllers, but I have heard that they're ditching the A-B buttons and replacing them with something else. Not much info is out there though, Nintendo likes to keep quiet about their new stuff until the big events, then drop a huge bombshell.

I'm not sure if the Revo will work with GC memory cards, but I don't see why not. If it's backwards compatible for games, I don't see why it wouldn't be for cards.

And I don't care for 3rd party controllers, they usually suck. So I stick with the "official" ones. :mrgreen:

Axe Kazama
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

remember the 2 button Nintendo?
that was the old school shite Cool
I'm still wondering if I should get a Gamecube though
there isn't enough games to lure me in (Link: four swords for GBC, FF: Chronicles and the new Zelda)
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

RE:0
RE:4
Mario Sunshine (better than it sounds, trust me.... just plain fun)
Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Super Smash Bros. F'n Melee
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Power Tennis
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Pikmin 1 and 2
Super Monkey Ball

That's just off the top of my head. A lot of these games get slammed by fanboys for being to childish, but to me, they're just plain fun. And in the end, that's what I want.

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathpit, you might get a kick out of this. I found this.... supposedly a look at what the Revo might look like.

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post. :oops:

Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, half the games you threw at me I wouldn't even bother playing
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair though, if you've never played them, you don't know whether they're your thing or not. :mrgreen:

A lot of them are much more addictive than you'd think.

Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: pretty much the same on all consoles
Mario Sunshine: Played, thought it was shit
Wind Waker: finished
Metroid Prime: played, not my genre
Metroid Prime 2: previous
Super Smash Bros. F'n Melee: gets tedious over time
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door: sounds fun
Mario Kart Double Dash: another kart game..
Mario Power Tennis: if it has the RPG function...groovay Cool
Tales of Symphonia: fuck yeah Twisted
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2: on PS2
Pikmin 1 and 2: -_-
Super Monkey Ball: what....?
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the record, RE 4 is a lot different than your usual RE fare.

But oh well.... if there's not much to interest you, probably better to save the money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: