TerraEarth Forums

Terranigma 'the book'. Is it a good idea?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoZKeY
Sent by The Master

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:06 am   Post subject: Terranigma 'the book'. Is it a good idea? Reply with quote

That is. I would like to know if it would be a good idea to write a book about Terranigma, for no-fans (because obiously fans would like it). Terranigma's story is so epic that i think people would like it.
I started writing that Terranigma book some time ago... maybe 2 or 3 years, of course in spanish... so don't think there will be a Terranigma book for you guys, i am sorry u.u
Maybe i will translate it when my english improves, but first i need to know if it is a good idea or not (and remember, for no-fan people).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
Hammerit
Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that's a neat idea Smile. However if you ever come to the point where you need someone to translate it to german or check the english translation feel free to fill me in on the details Wink.

Game Designer
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is good, but it's extremely difficult to write a book...

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

itd be an awesome idea, although it is kinda hard turning a rpg game into a story. what with all the dungeons and that. would need a fair load of creativity.
Sent by The Master

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that i think... its true, i will need creativity to write something in dungeon parts, but anyways now i feel more inspiration to continue writing, thank to all of you and terraearth i will start writing again!! : D

(i said i would never write another single page, since last time i wrote something great and the stupid linux program deleted it.... ;__;)

And of course if anyone could translate it to another language, its ok Smile
And could also give me some ideas if anyone has Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do something similar to the zelda manga (having not been able to find the terranigma one, i dont know what they did there), and for the dungeons just do the key item(s) and the boss.

ie. in the ra tree, ark could climb in through a hole in the tree, find a small underground cavern. after finding the parasite's door (and getting gassed, passing out and getting thrown out of the room), run through a mob of monsters and then accidentally fall into a hole, landing in that area where you get the dewdrop.

ie pretty much only do the main events in the dungeons, and dont bother with the actual solving of any puzzles, mazes, etc

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A book might be tricky; something along the lines of a manga might work better.

A manga would provide a visual element to the story. It would probably help deliver the story, because something as large-scale as the resurrection of the world would be difficult to express in just written words.

In the game, restoring the world piece by piece was an epic task, because you could see the results of your labour as they came together. More of the world opened up and you could see the changes you were responsible for. A lot of that feeling would have been lost if we had just read about what happened.

But what do I know? It's not my project. If you had your heart set on a book, then by all means, go with it. I'd love to see an English translation some day. Cool Guy

NoZKeY
Sent by The Master

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If only i could draw better... D:
There are other things that images cant express that i found in Terranigma, things that make me think, things that really changed my way of see the life, and that is why i love Terranigma. However you are right, i think that 50% of epicness of Terranigma is because images, but lets start with the book...
Hammerit

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the biggest advantage a book has over mangas, comics, films and games is it forcing the reader to think about what he just read and imagine the scenes in his head rather than just looking at some drawn or rendered pictures. It's sometimes pretty cool talking to people about a book and finding out that each and everyone somehow experienced the read slightly different from the others. And that's the hard part about writing a book already, because you can't rely on illustrations or any other visual elements helping the reader imagine the scenes, but have to provide each and every part of the story as detailed as possible and still with some neccessary information left for the reader to think about. Not the book itself should make the reader want to continue, but his very own will to find out whether the things he imagined turn out to be true once all strings are brought together in the end.

Game Designer
Dark_Gaia

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

itd be such a good book. if u thought of it in not a cartoony sense, and maybe more realistic, just with magic lol. but depends on how good of a writer you are as well, to create the actual feelings and scenes from the game into words would be tough. id ask 2 see ur story so far but i cant read spanish =(
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

there are chapter books novels with occasional pictures in them. you could do some visuals that way, like piccies on the chapter pages and have half or full page drawing once in awhile.

since terranigma never came to the US and i cant download the rom nor find the manga anywhere, i can't help much but just keep at it and do what you can to get those imaginative juices flowing Smile when writing, you're practically god xD

[edit]

he hee... 200th post Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Mantaray on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sora-mage wrote:
there are chapter books with occasional pictures in them. you could do some visuals that way, like piccies on the chapter pages and have half or full page drawing once in awhile.

since terranigma never came to the US and i cant download the rom nor find the manga anywhere, i can't help much but just keep at it and do what you can to get those imaginative juices flowing Smile when writing, you're practically god xD

[edit]

he hee... 200th post Evil or Very Mad

well, the rom is available on the TE main site. or, from pretty much anyone on the forums. except tay.

and as for the manga, if someone *hint hint raini Razz* would translate, id post it up
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would SO read Terranigma: The Novelisation of The Epic Game if someone wrote it. Cool Guy

I wonder....I'm guessing that as Quintet no longer exist, the copyright belongs solely to Nintendo. Maybe if someone wrote the novel of the game, they could go to Nintendo and ask for permission to publish it as a novel (I sincerely doubt Nintendo would agree, but there's always an outside hope...).

That would be so cool. Very Happy
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
I would SO read Terranigma: The Novelisation of The Epic Game if someone wrote it. Cool Guy

I wonder....I'm guessing that as Quintet no longer exist, the copyright belongs solely to Nintendo. Maybe if someone wrote the novel of the game, they could go to Nintendo and ask for permission to publish it as a novel (I sincerely doubt Nintendo would agree, but there's always an outside hope...).

It would probably still be under Enix, I think. Buuut the trademark has also run out, so there is always that.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
arkisdabomb

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:

It would probably still be under Enix, I think. Buuut the trademark has also run out, so there is always that.

Not to mention the trademark for Terranigma was never taken out anywhere but Japan to my knowledge. Weather it would fall under an umbrella trademark from the other games I'm not sure.

As for a novel. I'd read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: