TerraEarth Forums

10 Games To Play Before You Die
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
But I think Square could have done better. It was a hell of a lot better than Spirits Within (sorry raini, but it's true.)

I'm one of the like, 10 people who actually LIKED TSW since it wasn't supposed to be an offshoot of anything. Everyone who originally bitched that OMG IT DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING THAT THE GAMES HAVE needed to be punched in the face, imo. No moogles? So? Moogles didn't come around until FF5 I believe ANYWAY. No chocobos? So? They didn't need chocobos in that world, and they didn't come into the game series until... 4, I think it was. SJD,guksafdy that just usually pisses me off. TSW had a good story to it, good music, and was Final Fantasy enough for me. :/

Well to be precise Chocobos got their start in 2 and moogles in 3, but that's not really important. TSW wasn't a bad movie. I actually thought it was incredibly well-written and exactly what the franchise needed to push it into the mainstream media. But my complaint is that it strayed too far from the series.

And I don't mean that it lacked moogles or chocobos. Every game is different. To be honest I think what killed it in my opinion (as an FF movie) was the soundtrack and the fact that it was set on Earth. If it had been a fictional world of ambiguous future (like FF8) then fine. And I wish that it had at the very least the standard Final Fantasy arpeggio thing. I never heard that anywhere in the movie!

Music is the most important thing in a Final Fantasy game in my opinion.

Last Order was awesome, but it felt a little disjointed and incohesive. But it was meant to be viewed with the rest of the story,so it can be forgiven for that. I like how the music blended with its partner game Crisis Core (the OSTs were exactly the same almost).

Also, what would you all say is the weakest link in the FF7 Compilation? Having not played it I am putting my money on Before Crisis, but it's probably gonna be DoC right?

I'm like one of the 10 people who actually like that game, raini. Very Happy

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
rainichan wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
But I think Square could have done better. It was a hell of a lot better than Spirits Within (sorry raini, but it's true.)

I'm one of the like, 10 people who actually LIKED TSW since it wasn't supposed to be an offshoot of anything. Everyone who originally bitched that OMG IT DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING THAT THE GAMES HAVE needed to be punched in the face, imo. No moogles? So? Moogles didn't come around until FF5 I believe ANYWAY. No chocobos? So? They didn't need chocobos in that world, and they didn't come into the game series until... 4, I think it was. SJD,guksafdy that just usually pisses me off. TSW had a good story to it, good music, and was Final Fantasy enough for me. :/

Well to be precise Chocobos got their start in 2 and moogles in 3, but that's not really important. TSW wasn't a bad movie. I actually thought it was incredibly well-written and exactly what the franchise needed to push it into the mainstream media. But my complaint is that it strayed too far from the series.

And I don't mean that it lacked moogles or chocobos. Every game is different. To be honest I think what killed it in my opinion (as an FF movie) was the soundtrack and the fact that it was set on Earth. If it had been a fictional world of ambiguous future (like FF8) then fine. And I wish that it had at the very least the standard Final Fantasy arpeggio thing. I never heard that anywhere in the movie!

Music is the most important thing in a Final Fantasy game in my opinion.

Last Order was awesome, but it felt a little disjointed and incohesive. But it was meant to be viewed with the rest of the story,so it can be forgiven for that. I like how the music blended with its partner game Crisis Core (the OSTs were exactly the same almost).

Also, what would you all say is the weakest link in the FF7 Compilation? Having not played it I am putting my money on Before Crisis, but it's probably gonna be DoC right?

I'm like one of the 10 people who actually like that game, raini. Very Happy

Which 2 and 3, though? Are we talking original USA release (in which they'd be named like that) or super original release form where they're 4 and 6 really? /confused

It would probably be Dirge since everyone hated that game with a passion for various reasons. I liked the game myself (I'm a huge Lucrecia fan, thanks) but I fail so horribly at it. Currently I'm stuck at the end of the game because I have hardly any bullets left for the Cerberus, and no Gil to buy more with. I fail at FFPS (Fake First Person Shooters), obviously. XD However, BC was more of the story of the Turks, so who knows. Since it's never going to see the light of day here, I couldn't really tell you. Trying to find roms for cellphone games (and an emulator to play them) is impossible. Sad I've been trying to do that for Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode but alas.

...anyway. The only thing I could really see about TSW having strayed was that it was done by the US offices for Squaresoft (they were still Squaresoft at the time) in their Hawaii development... thing. Yes, the Japanese offices had imput in the game, promise. But all of the games are somehow set in an Earth-like world. Not specifically called Earth, but other names for it (if it's named; FF4 is "Blue Planet", FF7 is Gaia or the Planet, FF8 is Gaia I believe, FF9 is Terra) in a chunk of the games. For me, seeing it as an alternate Earth made it fun. Post apocalyptic is fun! I'd have to dig out my soundtrack, but I know it was composed by an English guy.

But hey, you can't deny that the dvd easter egg won muchly. Neutral

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Azure Phoenix
Also Known as Arashi or Gemini

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Gems 500

PostAzure Phoenix Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

dirge of cerberus wasn't bad, the main side of it was fine, but all the extras were bad, i looked at them all and decided that i wasn't even gonna try to unlock them all, but i guess at least i have something to go back to when i'm finished with all my other games (all but 3 completed)
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

DoC was shit compared to other FPS"RPG" games available at the time, like Deus Ex and System Shock 2

Gems 500

PostAzure Phoenix Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*ignores valerie's comment*
Hammerit
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Which 2 and 3, though? Are we talking original USA release (in which they'd be named like that) or super original release form where they're 4 and 6 really? /confused

Yeah that's one of those things always confusing people ... still ask myself why the heck they've numbered the games differently in the US (but only the SNES releases, the ps1's were numbered the original way again ... if I got it right US II was japanese IV, III was V and IV was VI, while US VII was japanese VII meaning SE still owes the US some numbers ... however the ps1 rereleases of I-VI were again numbered the japanese way ... strange >,>

Game Designer
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened was when final Fantasy II & III came out for the NES in Japan, they were deemed to difficult for American gamers, so they waited until FFIV came out and released it as FFII so the American audience wouldn't be confused. Shortly thereafter, they halted the localization of FFV, instead releasing FFVI as FFIII. However, during the production of FFVII, they suddenly decided to unify the American and Japanese markets, rather than calling FFVII the fourth entry.

It's really not that confusing: SNES 2 = SNES 4 & SNES 3 = SNES 6

NES 2, NES 3, & SNES V were released sporadically over the next decade on PS1, GBA, and DS.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Raini: The original 2 and 3. I use the PROPER number sytem. Very Happy

That's something I resent about foreign games importing to America. Do they think us American's are too stupid to be able to cope?

Harry Potter and The Sorcerers stone is the prime example. If there are any Brits here can you explain why you thought that us Americans were too stupid to get it? Confused

Azure Phoenix

Gems 500

PostAzure Phoenix Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea, ii'm a brit, but i'm a more understanding brit, i dunno why the rest of these people believe you're stupid but i think it has something to do with your former president
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why "The Sorcerers Stone"? Whats up with that?

Last edited by Blade on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought that was a dodgy version (probably fan-published off a leaked copy or something) considering the original has always been called 'the philosopher's stone' and is referenced as such in the book.

theres no way it could have been a child's version, because the first book was childish enough as it was, with the actual 'magic' as such not being properly defined.

Gems 500

PostAzure Phoenix Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Why "The Sorcerers Ston"? Whats up with that?

maybe the country didn't like philosophers? i mean if it's america which is seen by most as a christian country then it's possible they don't like philosophers because they might think of something un-christian like

no offence to any Americans here it's just a theory
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't know there were different title versions...odd!
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that was only the first book
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Philospopher's Stone was released in America as The Sorcerer's Stone. That was the only book title that was changed.

The Philosopher's Stone is an actual mythological item which does exactly what it does in Harry Potter. They changed it to Sorcerer's Stone apparently because they thought we wouldn't get the reference, plus which Sorcerer's Stone more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: