TerraEarth Forums

Foreign Languages
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unforgiven wrote:

\/\/|-|Y |-|3110 +|-|4|2 +|-|I5 \/\/0U1|) 83 1337

1337 isnt a real language Razz
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
I tried to learn Japanese in college, but the class wasn't set up very well, so I had to drop it. Which is fine, I don't think anyone that stayed passed anyway.

japanese in school can be very disenchanting Laughing an ex-girlfriend of mine was into japanese culture (even though she was quarter-hungary) and thought she'll take class. I had to laugh so hard everytime she came home and complained about it Very Happy
Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
japanese in school can be very disenchanting Laughing an ex-girlfriend of mine was into japanese culture (even though she was quarter-hungary) and thought she'll take class. I had to laugh so hard everytime she came home and complained about it Very Happy

When it comes to learning foreign languages I prefer to study just by myself until I'm ready for some chatting. I just prefer learning the real thing rather than the useless, boring and pretty much outdated stuff taught at school. Playing games is a big help to learn the basics though since then you have some goal to work for (eg. understand wth those characters are talking about).

Game Designer
Azure Phoenix
Also Known as Arashi or Gemini

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Gems 500

PostAzure Phoenix Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

English - good
french - good but forgotten
spanish - fail
welsh - totally fail

well, i think i've just made it clear that i suck at foreign languages, although technically welsh should be my primary language... i failed my first welsh exam by no less than half of a mark, i got 49 1/2 and i needed at least 50
Lenc
Art Monkey

Level 11: Worlock

Resident

Gems 8,348

PostLenc Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Unforgiven wrote:

\/\/|-|Y |-|3110 +|-|4|2 +|-|I5 \/\/0U1|) 83 1337

1337 isnt a real language Razz

IT IS D:<

STEAM: Lenc Chroso
BNET: Blindeduif#2260
gavdaman88
Level 8: Amarante

Level 8: Amarante

Gems 3,008

Postgavdaman88 Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right many people speak leet.

How many of them speak english also is a matter to be debated.

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

gavdaman88 wrote:
He's right many people speak leet.

yeah but most speak/write different dialects/styles since there are plenty of ways to express the very same using chars Wink

Game Designer
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahaha. I forgot, I can speak 1337 too. I might be a little rusty though, since I haven't seen it around much.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Foreign Languages Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
Chotto nihongo wakarimas. Sumimasen, Jason Tandro baka amerikaijin desu.

...Sad Nitpicking (since I speak it), that "wakarimas" should have a 'u' at the end since there is no single letter syllables in Japanese save for 'n'. Sorry. D: And I think it should be Amerikajin, no 'i' in there. /nitpick

Yeah, I know. I was off my form. Very Happy

Rest in peace, old avatar.
NoZKeY
Sent by The Master

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanish is my native language, i also speak English (seriously? Surprised), and i'm trying to learn japanese.

Videogames are the BEST way to learn another language Very Happy So i will start playing Terranigma in japanese.. Laughing Though i think it will not work cause i know very well the game Sad

Terranigma es sin duda alguna, el mejor juego de snes y quizás es el mejor juego de todos, en mi opinión (aunque muy de cerca le sigue FF 6 Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, teh kween has added some languages she would at least like to learn in addition to the three she already knows (and yes, she IS talking in third person, so nice of you to notice!)

Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I've been wanting to learn Dutch for a while now (thanks to eFlare, actually; yes I remember how to say "Just die, ok?" Very Happy) and Chinese has been added to that list, as well as Swedish. Why Swedish? It's a fun language! And it really all stemmed from me trying to figure out how to say a friend's name in Swedish (since he IS Swedish).

Yep, I research languages based on my friends, what of it? Neutral

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Hammerit

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

NoZKeY wrote:
Spanish is my native language

Cool Smile. I may come back to you once my spanish has improved enough to learn thinking in the language. I'm currently playing Pokemon Edicion Hoja Verde (obviously spanish) and use a few online ressources as references when I come across vocabulary or grammar I don't know yet. Once I've got the base vocabulary covered I'll start playing Lufia II on spanish to learn understanding from context (much more efficient then looking up unknown words). Hope I'll be there before the end of summer so I can start the real thing: chatting and haunting forums in a foreign language until it aint foreign no more Razz.

I would like to learn chinese as well, but well learning a language using the same or slightly different signs/chars is relatively easy ... but learning a language where not just the signs themselves, but even the meaning of the words dependant on the tone of your voice can differ ... well let's say I don't feel quite up for it at the moment ... But after Spanish, French and Portuguese I may start thinking about learning some Mandarin ^^.

Game Designer
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were to try to start learning japanese (question more directed towards rainichan and Jason Tandro because you say you can speak some of it), what would be the best way to go about it?

i want to read my manga books Biting
Sent by The Master

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with this:
www.learn-japanese.info
And i am learning with it yet Very Happy

Good luck learning to all users ;D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
if i were to try to start learning japanese (question more directed towards rainichan and Jason Tandro because you say you can speak some of it), what would be the best way to go about it?

i want to read my manga books Biting

Taking a class for it. No, seriously. I started learning it on my own when I was 13, took an actual class in high school when I was 17, and I'm still taking courses for it. The best way to learn is to get it drilled into your head, learn the sounds for the syllables, learn how to write Hiragana and Katakana, and then go from there. Reading manga in pure Japanese is stupidly difficult unless you're lucky and you have Furigana (Hiragana or Katakana syllables over the Kanji for easier reading) and you also have to know conjugation for words (I run into this problem trying to translate my doujinshi).

However, if you have the chance, a class is the best way to go. Conversational Japanese (which is what I'm taking now, second semester) is mainly just how to speak simple things for getting your way around in Japan, and nothing harder than that. A class like Japanese 101 or whatever would be the best to take. Of course, my Japanese teacher was awesome, and we sung NURSERY RHYMES in Japanese (why yes, I can sing Mary Had A Little Lamb and Old McDonald Had A Farm in Japanese 8D).

I... can see if I can't go about drawing up a Hiragana/Katakana chart in the future though. Neutral

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: