TerraEarth Forums

Top Ten Games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 am   Post subject: Top Ten Games Reply with quote

This seems pretty obvious, but this should be a list of your top 10 games. What we're talking here is desert island, worst case scenario games. These are the 10 games that you could (and would be forced to) play for the rest of time.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy X-2
4. Ehrgeiz
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. NCAA Football '08 (Shut up, I love this game Laughing )
7. Dynasty Warriors 3
8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
9. Simpsons Hit and Run
10. Katamari Damacy

Alternates: Final Fantasy 8, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Xenosaga Episode I

My main goal was choosing games with multiple mini-games and could be played in multiple ways. Final Fantasy VII was the obvious choice for the number 1 game, but the nice bonus was the huge amount of mini-games in Gold Saucer.

Final Fantasy X and X-2 are great games that feature tons of bonus options. I chose X for one reason... Blitzball. X-2 was chosen to finish the storyline and it is basically a game of mini-games, which is a bonus. Not the mention the awesome New Game Plus feature.

Ehrgeiz was one of my favorite games of all time. It has an RPG, Fighter and a bunch of Mini-Games.

Sonic Adventure 2 covers the platform angle, with multiple styles of gameplay per level and features the cool Chao raising minigame. I know it's a little stupid, but I love that silly little bonus.

NCAA Football '08 was my guilty pleasure game. Football is about the only sport that I can get really excited about and I chose college football over... say Madden NFL because I enjoy the student athlete angle. Plus which I am a fan of the JMU Dukes.

Dynasty Warriors 3 is without a doubt one of my games of all time. It features 50 playable characters tons of storylines and free play modes, challenge modes and a cutscene editor. Plus which the game is so unique! It combines fighter with RTS and military strategy elements. Plus which I love Chinese History (albeit this game is what got me into the subject, lol) Laughing

Metal Gear Solid 3 is, in my opinion, the best of the original trilogy in every single way. It takes the stealth element to the next level, and nothing says fun like running around a jungle slitting throats while laughing maniacally. Evil or Very Mad I made it the Subsistence package that way I get the two bonus original games, Snake Vs. Monkey, Demo Theatre and other cool bonuses.

Simpsons Hit and Run was sort of an oddball, but I love the gameplay, music and I love The Simpsons in general. Drive around, smash shit, race and listen to a bunch of cheap jokes. What could be better?

And finally Katamari Damacy, which is the ultimate stoner game. Not that I'm a stoner, but this is the best compensation experience. Laughing Plus which the game is so simplistic and yet fun that it doesn't get old too fast. And the music is great to boot.

My alternates were obvious.

Final Fantasy 8 is one of my favorite final fantasies, but I bumped it because it's pretty linear and the only decent minigame is Triple Triad.

MGS2: Substance is a decent choice because while the game itself isn't that great there are compensations like the bonus Snake Tales, VR Missions, and even the obnoxious Skateboarding.

Xenosaga Episode I is my final alternate for two reasons. The music and the AGWS mini-game.

I know, i'm a sidequest and mini-game whore, but thing about the practicality of it.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

10. Heroes of Might and Magic IV

9. Mario Kart 64

8. Final Fantasy VI

7. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

6. Grandia II

5. Super Smash Bros: Brawl

4. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

3. Pokemon Diamond Version

2. Final Fantasy VIII

1. Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne (of course it implies heavy use of the World Editor Very Happy )

and my reasoning:

10. This was an awesome turn-based strategy game. loads of possibilities, and good music.

9. I dont think this really needs an explanation...

8. This game was great, and theres a fair bit more i have left to do in it (Colosseum, 8 Dragons, hardcore item abuse, etc)

7. Another one not needing explanation.

6. An epic rpg. Great storyline, character development and a really unique way of leveling characters.

5. Who wouldnt love to beat the crap out of characters like peach? honestly Razz

4. Played it to death on 3 separate occasions. A classic.

3. Absurd amounts of things to do in the game.. until you do them. then its more the fun of raising up a party no one will have a chance against.

2. one of the best rpgs ive ever played. really good story and characters, with an awesome stat-building system. not to mention the fact it still has sidequests i havent done yet (and ive gotten all GFs and beaten the Omega Weapon)

1. The world editor is unbelievably powerful, and it is a lot of fun to mess around with. this got number one because i think it is the game to have to date claimed the most hours of my life. (for those who know how much i played diablo 2, i think warcraft 3 would beat even that)
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

01 ) Tetris
02 ) Galaga
03 ) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
04 ) Super Mario World
05 ) We Love Katamari
06 ) Pokemon Trading Card Game
07 ) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
08 ) Super Smash Bros Brawl
09 ) Heroes of Might and Magic IV
10 ) Terranigma

1 - The most amazing game ever invented. My current high score on Tetris DS is 20,000,000. That's five days of playing.

2 - The most amazing Arcade game ever invented. Like, seriously, I have naughty dreams about this game. Nightly.

3 - My absolute favorite console/handheld game. The story/gameplay/music/characters/graphics... EVERYTHING IS PERFECT. (However, I would not oppose to a full-scale remake with expanded overworld and story)

4 - Despite the number of times I've beaten it INTO THE GROUND, it's still sooooooo much fun...

5 - If you don't know why this game is awesome there is seriously something wrong with you. Or you haven't played it yet. Either way it's the same. Seek help.

6 - I've been playing this old GBC game to put myself to sleep nearly every night for the past six or seven years. I have four of every card minus a few promos. So, yeah, I can build any deck I want, lol.

7 - To this day I am in awe at how much content is in this game. There are so many ways to play, that this is easily one of the best games to take with you should you plan on being shipwrecked and whatnot.

8 - Ultimate Nintendo Fanservice + Double-Decade Nintendo Fanboy = A Good Time.

9 - Thank you EverPhoenix, I had forgotten what a good game this was. Considering it was the only strategy game I ever liked, and you would not believe how many hours I spent on the map editor in the third installment...

10 - Because being stranded on a desert island is probably what it will take to finally get around to playing this game.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Puh, top 10 for an Island?
Lets try...

1. Gothic 2 & Addon - Thats an awesome action RPG right there! It's got it all. If you haven't played it yet, there's an english release aswell!

2. Terranigma. Why? Because Cool

3. Diablo 2 & Addon. Awesome Hack n Slay I must say!

4. Super Mario Bros. 3, NES version. Awesome 8bit sound, lots of hours of gameplay. if you don't warp, of course.

5. Yoshi's Island. Very catchy, lots of childhood memories right there!

6. Age of Empires II. Awesome strategygame with catchy atmosphere.

Sorry, can't think of anything else I've played that'd be worth to stand along with these games...
Hammerit
Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 2,000

PostHammerit Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
06 ) Pokemon Trading Card Game

Dude you read my thoughts ... This one is simply awesome ô.Ô ... However it was far too short (well and the fact that they used precalculated randomization tables sucked too, but well the rest was simply awesome ^^.

Game Designer
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Terranigma - I'm serious, I really think this is the best game ever made. and it had a great impact on my personality developement.

2. Seiken Densetsu 3 (SoM 2) - only Terranigma can beat it

3. Morrowind - I just loved the dark atmosphere, and the huge world with it's never ending secrets... oh and, in the end you're a god Very Happy

4. Gothic 1 & 2 - such an awesome and lovely world, great friendships and stuff

5. Zelda - Oot - this is Zelda! cool Link, dark world and everything is just supercool

6. Zelda - Lttp - almost as good as Oot, the lack of 3D-graphics just didn't allow it to be as cool as Oot

7. Secret of Mana - nice game, awesome story, just a bit too childish Smile

8. Chrono Cross - awesome story, huge world, much to do and nice graphics

9. World of Warcraft - best MMO ever, was just awesome in earlier times

10. Neverwinternights 2 - in-cre-di-ble interaction between comrades and protagonist, every decision has visible impacts
Sent by The Master

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 has the same thoughts as me about some awesome old games. But i would add some more:

1.- Puyo Puyo: any puyo puyo is perfect for a desert island, i dont get bored of playing it over and over again.

2.- Terranigma: Of course it would keep me busy when i have nothing to do in the island...

3.- Mario Kart SNES: Also perfect. My favorite of the series.

4.- Pokemon TCG: Yeah... i loved that game. I had a cheap trick, using zapdos... Very Happy

5.- Super Mario Bros. (NES): I would never get bored trying to get into the minus world Very Happy

6.- Guitar hero 3: If can play it with max volume in a desert island... (i cant do that in my house Sad xD)

7.- Worms Armageddon: Also PERFECT to play in a desert island. Against the computer.

8.- Arkanoid: The same as tetris, i dont get bored of this game.

9.- Belma: Dont ask... i CAN'T live without this game!

10.- There is no 10.... nah, Kirby SuperStar Deluxe :3 !!!!

I like much other snes games that would be perfect for playing in a desert island. Snes is my fav console Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
thefencemaster

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Legend of the Dragoon
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+
6. Illusion of Gaia
7. LoZ A Link to the Past
8. LoZ Link's Awakening
9. Terranigma
10. Final Fantasy Tactics

1. First game i ever remember playing. Great story/characters (dancing moogles need i say more?)

2. One of the best stories I've ever come across. the partially interactive fighting was way more fun than it should have been

3. served its purpose as a tribute to all prior FF games. and Vivi come on

4. another game that i grew up with. ok story, but mostly just sentimental value

5. This game was ridiculously fun and hard. just had alot of fun struggling through the critical mode

6. Great story. played through this game too many times to count. another game I've had as long as i can remember

7. First Zelda game i've ever played through. Found everything on my own at one point in time.

8. yet another game ive had as long as i can remember. greatest hand held game ever

9. although i've only played through Terranigma once, it was a great enough game to make in on this list. that alone says alot about this game.

10. Final Fantasy Tactics is a combination of a great story and that brain ache feeling that i love from thinking too much.

-The Fence Master
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so shure about taking Terranigma with me on the island. Shure, for me it's the best game ever made, but wouldn't it get boring after playing it 10 times? At least it gets boring to me...

(thats why I'm not gonna play it for the next 5 years)
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighting, Platformers, Side-scrolling, Action Adventure/RPG, FPS, Beat em ups etc.

Times have changes and so does my tastes, so here's my revised list (This time, only one game per franchise.) :

10 - Castlevania : Symphony of the Night - Make no mistake about it, I love the Castlevania games, it's one of the few platforming game franchises I can really enjoy. This game exemplifies almost everything that has been done right with the franchise, with a new twist this time. Rondo of Blood almost makes this list, but the sheer fact that a) The SNES got shafted with a shitty port b) You don't get to play as Alucard makes it lose out ever so slightly.

9 - Terranigma - The Soul Blazer trilogy is pretty impressive, but this last instalment is the cream of the crop due to the fact that the combat is very very streamlined, the controls are very responsive. There's also the great mental kick out of being able to resurrect animals and humans and watch them grow and prosper.

8 - Final Fantasy 6 - Final Fantasy has always been an impressive game franchise before it hits mainstream with the comparatively mediocre Final Fantasy 7, metrosexual protagonists & antagonists, with either or both being emo gits. Quite fittingly, the series reached its crescendo right before that point with Final Fantasy 6, which had quite an impressive storytelling element for a videogame, a memorable villain which only further cemented my fear of clowns. Why this game is so far down the list is simply due to the fact that almost every single combat command is entered via menus, which is bloody tedious especially Cyan's sword skill bar. (This is probably why my favourite character of that game is Sabin.)

7 - 聖剣伝説 3 - You know, it is a very tough decision to decide between this game and Secret of Mana. Secret of Mana had better storytelling, better music and cooler characters. However, when you think about it, Secret of Mana has the difficulty curve all wrong ; The beginning of the game was punishingly difficult, but as soon as you pick up a library of spells (Which are ridiculously overpowered, by the way.) the game suddenly becomes a lot easier. The tech system of charged attacks is stupid and takes way too long for it to be useful. Levelling up your weapons are only good for getting stat bonuses. 聖剣伝説 3, on the other hand, starts off easy and pretty forgiving, and then becomes progressively more challenging as the game progresses, which is good. It also gives a lot of customization options like party members, which affect which main antagonist you have to face, class changes and stat upgrades. All of them contribute to a more enjoyable gameplay experience, and this is why 聖剣伝説 3 makes the list.

6 - The Legend of Zelda : A Link to the Past - The story of a boy in a green tunic named Link going around collecting items, exploring dungeons and open areas and vanquishing evil has always had a certain charm. The gameplay is solid and the experience enjoyable. While many would cite the Ocarina of Time as the best Zelda game, I would say this wins out for one simple reason : It did the whole duality of worlds thing better, it has an intrinsic connection to the gameplay as opposed to just being there as a consequence of the game's plot development.

5 - Tales of Destiny : Director's Cut - The Tales of series, like most franchises and series, has a history of starting out great, getting better, then decaying and festering into blandness. Tales of Vesperia and Tales of the World : Radiant Mythology are recent guilty examples of this. They might as well just have been released as mods to Tales of the Abyss, because the combat aspect uses the exact same formula. It nearly killed my interest in the Tales of series altogether, then Tales of Hearts for the DS came along. Tales of Hearts owes its combat formula a lot to a previous game released for the PS2, which is a remake to an even older PS1 game. I am talking, of course, about Tales of Destiny. The PS2 remake is the best in the series, not because of its storytelling, music or even plot, but because its battle system is everything that it should be in a game like this. It is fast-paced, chaotic and free of any bullshit constraints like tech points arbitrarily holding the pacing of the combat back. The Director's Cut version of this games wins even more points because it gives the players the option to play the game from the point of view of the the antihero, Leon.

4 - Half Life 2 - Out of everything Half Life ever released, this game wins out easily because the gameplay covers almost everything that makes FPS games fun. It is long, enjoyable from start to end with an immersive narrative. While I really want to nominate the original HL1 for this spot, the whole Xen thing ruins it for me. Stupid fucking giant spider with testicles. This game might just win top spot in my heart, but there are two things that it lacks : Large scale epic fights racking 3-4 digit kill counts and out of the box multiplayer experience. (I know there are mods that fix this, but still, I am talking about right out of the box experiences.)

3 - Team Fortress 2 - This latest installment/update to the Team Fortress franchise is a bit of a controversy. Many people loved it, and some hated it, preferring to stick to TFC and Fortress Forever and keeping the status quo of the gameplay formula they are used to. One thing is indisputable though, while TFC and FF are very popular amongst fans of the HL and Quake anthology games, Team Fortress 2 brings people from almost all walks of life together, even those who have never touched a video game before in their lives. The constant updates, the free TF2 weeks, the achievements and the guest passes all adds up to a superior gaming experience that everyone (Who isn't seeking compensation for their tiny dick by bragging about their scores.) can enjoy.

2 - Portal - I would say something here but Yahtzee in his Orange Box review said it all. This game is fu[size=108]ck[/size]ing awesome.

1 - Serious Sam : The Second Encounter - Do I even need to explain this? You + a shitload of guns and ammo + a shitload of monsters to kill + fluid movement and controls + co-op mode = Tons of endless fun. There's also an editing tool for mapping that gave birth to tons of mods and maps that makes the experience even better.

There is not much to say about the story. You are Sam, sent back in time to ancient Egypt to stop Mental and save humanity from annihilation. The game is very unsubtle and it revels in it, throwing audacious things at you like a swarm of screaming headless kamikazi bombers, bouncy rooms and weird gravity.

The Pit from The Second Encounter in co-op mode.

However, the best part about this game is the sheer quantity of custom content available online to download whose production value is near professional and they really make creative use of the game's unique feature.

A screenshot of The City of the Gods in Single Player mode using --Fragman--'s XBox mod

A video showing the game running a custom map in co-op mode. Part 2

My de-facto favourite game of all time.

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone get the same thing as I do?

I've seen these "letters" before, on obscure YouTube videos...doubt that's ment to be like that...

Last edited by Blade on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Does anyone get the same thing as I do?

I've seen these "letters" before, on cryptic YouTube videos...doubt that's ment to be like that...

you are missing some languages, you can reinstall them with a windows-cd somehow
Also Known as Arashi or Gemini

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Gems 500

PostAzure Phoenix Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

-Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
-Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories

limit of lvl 9999 and a lot of side quests, keeps me going for ages

-Supreme Commander
-Supreme Commander: Forged alliance

both with the mods i have now, giving a large replay value especially with the right modmaking tools, plus if any of you can beat an AIX without cheating or using severe rush tactics then you are far beyond me.

-Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
-Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath

in my eyes i can play them forever, with mods for Tib Wars it makes it more interesting.

-Terranigma

I believe the title says enough Smile

-Halo
-Halo 2
-Halo 3

a kickass series that i could play til the end of time.

well that's my selection, too bad that's all i can take...
Metall Ark (XD®)

Gems 3,051

PostMetall Ark (XD®) Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

well here is my Top 10 favorites games.

1.S4 League - It make really fun and I can kill a lot of people.

2.Terranigma - Well amazing Story and good gameplay.

3.Seiken densetsu 3 (som2) - 3 Storys with 3 ending. That was just great.

4.Geist - It is really cool to play as a ghost.

5.Shadow the Hedhog - He is so COOL.

6.SSBB - It makes fun but nintendo have do a shit to the Wifi connection.

7.Chrono Trigger - Really cool Game with a lot of different endings.

8.Super Mario Rpg The legen of the seven Stars - A bit different Mario Game lol.

9.IOG - Well great sotry and it was hard to beat solid arm.

10.Som - I liked the story but i never played until to the end.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
I've seen these "letters" before, on obscure YouTube videos...doubt that's ment to be like that...

You need to install "Japanese Character Support" onto your PC. Google it ^^

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: