TerraEarth Forums

Shadow of the Colossus Movie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:41 am   Post subject: Shadow of the Colossus Movie Reply with quote

So it's apparently being made by the guy who did Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

First off, as fun as killing the colossi were, the game was not that good. Graphicly amazing, but in every other aspect it was sub-par. The combat controls were like controlling a cow in a shopping cart and riding the horse was.. well the same.

What's the point of having a gorgeous epic world if there's nothing to do besides fight bosses? Not even regular enemies? Come on.

Plus which the story-line was limited to one opening cutscene and one ending cutscene... how are they gonna make a full movie out of it?

All that is against it from the get-go, so i'll need to see some effort.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Chun-Li guy is only doing the script, but still...

Anyway, I thought Shadow of the Colossus was amazing, but you kind of have to play it from an artistic perspective. It was very stylistic and unique, despite the fact that the controls were impossible and the world was empty. But seriously, we need games like this to keep things interesting.

At any rate, the game has enough story to make a movie, but it's gonna take tremendous effort. This is one case where it's more important to know who the director is rather than the script-writer. Not sure who is directing however...

I do know that the producer worked on Scorpion King, The Interpreter, and the upcoming Dune for whatever that's worth.

Here's 1up.com's article.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:20 am   Post subject: Re: Shadow of the Colossus Movie Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
So it's apparently being made by the guy who did Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

wait... it's out already?!
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Shadow of the Colossus Movie Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

Indeed it is. Not only was it not released to reviewers prior to its release in theaters, but following its release, it got an Aggregated Score of ZERO.

Which in and of itself is worth commending.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:04 pm   Post subject: Re: Shadow of the Colossus Movie Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
psychokind wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

Indeed it is. Not only was it not released to reviewers prior to its release in theaters, but following its release, it got an Aggregated Score of ZERO.

Which in and of itself is worth commending.

if its video-game based and failed that hard, ill definitely look into it. thats if it gets aired in australia
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 119

PostCygnus Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you complain because of the controls, because there are only Colossi to fight, because the world is empty... Just don't play it. You have dozens of common games to satisfty your thirst of blood.

Other people, however, can appreciate this game as unique, as one of the best experiences you can have while playing a game. It's the closest thing to art you can see in a videogame. Also, the soundtrack is one of the best best ever, so epic.

By the way, the controls of both the boy and the horse are not perfect because it's how it's supposed to be: A horse isn't a machine that will always respond to you, and he isn't a talented knight, just a boy wielding a sword who has massive willpower and agility to get hold of the colossus' fur.

There is more story that you may think. Spoilers ahead:

Dormin is like a devil god, who has the power to revive Wander's love, but the god asks Wander to kill the 16 Colossus to grant his wish. This 16 Colossus actually are the guardians of this cursed land, in which Dormin is sealed. Each time he kills a Colossi, a part of evil gets in Wander's body, you can notice it towards the end of the game, he's getting messed up. There are some cutscenes in which some masked people riding horses are approaching to the sacred land. They have noticed someone is breaking the seal. Wander finally kills the 16 Colossus, and Dormin revives her love, but in exchange he possesses his body and Wander becomes a monster. The masked people arrive and manage to seal him again, afterwards they flee and break the bridge that connects the cursed land with the exterior. The monster (Wander) becomes a baby with horns. Wander's love awakes and takes care of the baby in the sacred garden of the temple.

In the other game, ICO, a boy with horns is thrown and imprisoned in a ruined castle. It's probably the sequel in time to this game, and also a game worth playing.

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Shadow of the Colossus Movie Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

I stopped reading there. It's going to suck all 7 shades of the bollocks rainbow. Crying or Very sad
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Shadow of the Colossus Movie Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

I stopped reading there. It's going to suck all 7 shades of the bollocks rainbow. Crying or Very sad

Agreed.
Battle-Jesus
Level 4: Living Statue

Gems 104

PostBattle-Jesus Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... Shadow of the Colossus. I thought it an experimental sort of game. The first of its kind, so mistakes are allowed to be made. I have yet to play ICO, so I'm not quite sure about most of the story, but the game was epic. I never had a problem with the controls, I thought they were just fine..
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow of the Colossus IS a decent game, which is why we are all going "DO NOT WANT!" about the news of the movie, since it is being written by the same guy responsible for that horrible travesty known as Street Fight : The Legend of Chun-Li.

Knowing what that guy did to Street Fighter with his movie, you know that he is going to horribly butcher Shadow of the Colossus with this movie.
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the effects in the Street Fighter movie were completely below average, and god, what they did to my poor Vega! Crying or Very sad
Battle-Jesus

Gems 104

PostBattle-Jesus Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Shadow of the Colossus IS a decent game, which is why we are all going "DO NOT WANT!" about the news of the movie, since it is being written by the same guy responsible for that horrible travesty known as Street Fight : The Legend of Chun-Li.

Knowing what that guy did to Street Fighter with his movie, you know that he is going to horribly butcher Shadow of the Colossus with this movie.

You would require an immense amount of money to pull off Shadow of the Colossus right. The immensity of the Colossi, the beauty of the landscape, the detail on the fur, the camera angles and panning, the musical composition, it would all require a lot more than the budget that Chun-Li had to even get the look right. Then we're given the writer, who has failed us, and the director/producer. The producer, Kevin Misher, I've seen The Scorpion King, and it was a decent movie. Whoever the director is going to be, that's going to be the last straw that might save or condemn this film. the 1-up article says that "minor characters might play a larger role"

I'm not quite sure if I'm happy or sad about that. It might mean we'll see more of the knightly guys, it might also mean we might get a glance at what the producter/writer/director thinks might have happened prior to SotC.

I'll wait for the director on this one before making any final decisions.
Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle-Jesus wrote:
Valerie Valens wrote:

You would require an immense amount of money to pull off Shadow of the Colossus right. The immensity of the Colossi, the beauty of the landscape, the detail on the fur, the camera angles and panning, the musical composition, it would all require a lot more than the budget that Chun-Li had to even get the look right. Then we're given the writer, who has failed us, and the director/producer. The producer, Kevin Misher, I've seen The Scorpion King, and it was a decent movie. Whoever the director is going to be, that's going to be the last straw that might save or condemn this film. the 1-up article says that "minor characters might play a larger role"

I'm not quite sure if I'm happy or sad about that. It might mean we'll see more of the knightly guys, it might also mean we might get a glance at what the producter/writer/director thinks might have happened prior to SotC.

I'll wait for the director on this one before making any final decisions.

Just pray it isn't Paul W, Anderson, he might do what he did with Resident Evil (and still plans to do with Castlevania last I heard) and just completely rewrite the story to his own needs. in the case of Resident Evil refocusing the series on his fan character so his freaking girlfriend can be the Mary-Sue star.

I mean Jesus dude, "expanding"/changing the plot to Mortal Kombat to make a decent movie was ok (not least of all because their pretty much *was no* plot) But goddamn...
Battle-Jesus

Gems 104

PostBattle-Jesus Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Budget is the thing that I'm worried about the most. The plot in SotC was extremely subtle. Switching it up a bit won't really take much from it, unless its switched up in a horrendous way. What wasn't extremely subtle, actually being the exact opposite of subtle, was the sheer beauty and detail. That was one of the key features of the game. Maintaining that is the biggest thing I'm worried about, sadly to say.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Castlevania movie was just recently cancelled.

It might get picked back up at a later date, but probably not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: