TerraEarth Forums

Real World References... But I Need Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:53 pm   Post subject: Real World References... But I Need Help Reply with quote

Obviously most of the places in Illusion of Gaia are real world references.

Angkor Wat (or Angkor Vat) (Khmer: អង្គរវត្ត), is a temple complex at Angkor, Cambodia, built for the king Suryavarman II in the early 12th century as his state temple and capital city. As the best-preserved temple at the site, it is the only one to have remained a significant religious centre since its foundation—first Hindu, dedicated to Vishnu, then Buddhist. The temple is the epitome of the high classical style of Khmer architecture. It has become a symbol of Cambodia, appearing on its national flag, and it is the country's prime attraction for visitors.

Full article here.

The Great Wall of China (simplified Chinese: 长城; traditional Chinese: 長城; pinyin: Chángchéng; literally "long city/fortress") or (simplified Chinese: 万里长城; traditional Chinese: 萬里長城; pinyin: Wànlǐ Chángchéng; literally "The long wall of 10,000 Li (里)"[1]) is a series of stone and earthen fortifications in northern China, built, rebuilt, and maintained between the 5th century BC and the 16th century to protect the northern borders of the Chinese Empire from Xiongnu attacks during various successive dynasties. Since the 5th century BC, several walls have been built that were referred to as the Great Wall. One of the most famous is the wall built between 220–206 BC by the first Emperor of China, Qin Shi Huang. Little of that wall remains; it lay farther north than the current wall, which was built during the Ming Dynasty.

Full article here.

The Sky Garden might be a reference the Hanging Gardens. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, also known as the Hanging Gardens of Semiramis, near present-day Al Hillah, Babil in Iraq, is considered one of the original Seven Wonders of the World. They were built by Nebuchadnezzar II around 600 BCE. He is reported to have constructed the gardens to please his sick wife, Amytis of Media, who longed for the trees and fragrant plants of her homeland Persia.[1] The gardens were destroyed by several earthquakes after the 2nd century BCE.

Full article here.

The Incan Ruins reference the Inca society. The Inca civilization began as a support group in the Cuzco area, where the legendary first Sapa Inca, Manco Capac founded the Kingdom of Cuzco around 1200. Under the leadership of the descendants of Manco Capac, the Inca state grew to absorb other Andean communities. In 1442, the Incas began a far-reaching expansion under the command of Patchacuti. He founded the Inca Empire (Tawantinsuyu), which became the largest empire in pre-Columbian America.[1]

Full article here.

And the Nazca Desert does the same. Nazca (sometimes spelled Nasca) is the name of a system of valleys on the southern coast of Peru, and the name of the region's largest existing town. It is also the name applied to the Nazca culture that flourished in the area between 300 BC and AD 800. They were responsible for the Nazca Lines and the ceremonial city of Cahuachi; they also constructed an impressive system of underground aqueducts named Puquios, that still function today.

Full article here.

Obviously the Great Pyramid is a reference to the same in Egypt. The Great Pyramid of Giza (also called the Khufu's Pyramid, Pyramid of Khufu, and Pyramid of Cheops) is the oldest and largest of the three pyramids in the Giza Necropolis bordering what is now Cairo, Egypt, and is the only remaining member of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It is believed the pyramid was built as a tomb for Fourth dynasty Egyptian King Khufu (Cheops in Greek) and constructed over a 20 year period concluding around 2560 BC. The Great Pyramid was the tallest man-made structure in the world for over 3,800 years. Originally the Great Pyramid was covered by casing stones that formed a smooth outer surface, and what is seen today is the underlying core structure. Some of the casing stones that once covered the structure can still be seen around the base. There have been varying scientific and alternative theories regarding the Great Pyramid's construction techniques. Most accepted construction theories are based on the idea that it was built by moving huge stones from a quarry and dragging and lifting them into place.

Full article here.

The land of Mu is reference to mythology. Mu is the name of a hypothetical continent that allegedly existed in one of Earth's oceans, but disappeared at the dawn of human history. The concept and the name were proposed by 19th century traveler and writer Augustus Le Plongeon, who claimed that several ancient civilizations, such as those of Egypt and Mesoamerica, were created by refugees from Mu — which he located in the Atlantic Ocean.[1] This concept was popularized and expanded by James Churchward (1851–1936), who asserted that Mu was once located in the Pacific.[2]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(lost_continent)]Full article here.[/url]

And lastly the Tower of Babel is a reference to the Bible. The Tower of Babel (Hebrew: מגדל בבל‎ Migdal Bavel Arabic: برج بابل‎ Burj Babil) according to chapter 11 of the Book of Genesis, was an enormous tower built at the city of Babel, the Hebrew name for Babylon (Akkadian Babilu). According to the biblical account, a united humanity, speaking a single language and migrating from the east, took part in the building after the Great Flood; Babel was also called the "beginning" of Nimrod's kingdom. The people decided their city should have a tower so immense that it would have "its top in the heavens"(וְרֹאשׁוֹ בַשָּׁמַיִם). However, the Tower of Babel was not built for the worship and praise of God, but was dedicated to the glory of man, with a motive of making a 'name' for the builders: "Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves; otherwise we shall be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.'" (Genesis 11:4). God, seeing what the people were doing, came down and confounded their languages and scattered the people throughout the earth. It had been God's original purpose for mankind to grow and fill the earth.

Full article here.

Aside from that, I'm having trouble placing towns and their references.

Euro is of course, a reference to Europe and The Diamond Coast could be a reference to the Ivory Coast (or Gold Coast) of Africa. But aside from that is there anything I'm missing? Particularly Watermia.

[Edit: From a later post]

Mt. Kress (Mt. Temple) is...

I got it! Mt. Kailash! It's in Tibet!

Mount Kailash (Tibetan: གངས་རིན་པོ་ཆེ, Gang Rinpoche; Chinese: 冈仁波齐峰; Sanskrit: कैलाश पर्वत, Kailāśā Parvata) is a peak in the Gangdisê Mountains, which are part of the Himalayas in Tibet. It lies near the source of some of the longest rivers in Asia: the Indus River, the Sutlej River (a major tributary of the Indus River), the Brahmaputra River, and the Karnali River (a tributary of the Ganges River). It is considered as a sacred place in four religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and the Bön faith. In Hinduism, it is considered to be the abode of Lord Shiva. The mountain lies near Lake Manasarowar and Lake Rakshastal in Tibet.

There have been no recorded attempts to climb Mount Kailash; it is considered off limits to climbers in deference to Buddhist and Hindu beliefs. It is the most significant peak in the world that has not seen any known climbing attempts.[1]

The article: here.

Rest in peace, old avatar.

Last edited by Jason Tandro on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in grade school I did research on everything in Illusion of Gaia. I was able to find real-world references to everything except the following: Itory Village, Freeja, Angel Village, Watermia, and Mt. Kress. The towns I gave up on rather quickly, but you have no idea how hard I tried to find Mt. Kress. I literally checked out every Geography-related book in the school library, but to no avail.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US Version, Mt. Kress was named Mt. Temple. Mount Temple is a mountain in Banff National Park of the Canadian Rockies of Alberta, Canada. Mt. Temple is located in the Bow River Valley between Paradise Creek and Moraine Creek and is the highest peak in the Lake Louise area. The peak dominates the western landscape along the Trans-Canada Highway from Castle Junction to Lake Louise.

Whether this is the actual reference or not, I have no idea.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, were there mushrooms there? Laughing

And what do you mean the US version was named Mt. Temple? I have the US version, and it's still called Mt. Kress. Unless you meant the other way around?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Huh?

Maybe what it is is the dungeon is called Mt Temple (as in the temple on the mountain) and the mountains name is Mt. Kress.

If that's the case, I've got some naming issues to correct in TE:A.

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

South Cape is most likely Cape Town, the capital of South Africa.

Freejia is likely an alternative to "Phrygia", which was a city in Turkey. Mythology says that that's where King Midas lived. A little info here.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In the game, the old geezers in Euro refer to it as "The mountain temple" or "The temple on the mountain" but the level itself is called Mt. Kress.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Freedan: Hey you're probably right because of the translation from Japanese!

@ tay120n64: Yeah I figure that's what happened. Mt. Kress..

Hmm... if we assume that it was a mistranslation from japanese...

I got it! Mt. Kailash! It's in Tibet!

Mount Kailash (Tibetan: གངས་རིན་པོ་ཆེ, Gang Rinpoche; Chinese: 冈仁波齐峰; Sanskrit: कैलाश पर्वत, Kailāśā Parvata) is a peak in the Gangdisê Mountains, which are part of the Himalayas in Tibet. It lies near the source of some of the longest rivers in Asia: the Indus River, the Sutlej River (a major tributary of the Indus River), the Brahmaputra River, and the Karnali River (a tributary of the Ganges River). It is considered as a sacred place in four religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and the Bön faith. In Hinduism, it is considered to be the abode of Lord Shiva. The mountain lies near Lake Manasarowar and Lake Rakshastal in Tibet.

There have been no recorded attempts to climb Mount Kailash; it is considered off limits to climbers in deference to Buddhist and Hindu beliefs. It is the most significant peak in the world that has not seen any known climbing attempts.[1]

The article: here.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually....

That's genius. That's it. Golf Clap [/usuck]

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just got lucky. If Freedan hadn't mentioned the dodgy translation then I wouldn't have thought of that.

odoroboujohn
Level 1: Huball

Level 1: Huball

Gems 25

Postodoroboujohn Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:59 am   Post subject: Re: Real World References... But I Need Help Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Obviously most of the places in Illusion of Gaia are real world references.

Angkor Wat... Euro is of course, a reference to Europe and The Diamond Coast could be a reference to the Ivory Coast (or Gold Coast) of Africa. But aside from that is there anything I'm missing? Particularly Watermia.

I've noticed that the Mt. Temple Mt. Kress thing varies with which rom I'm playing and Angel Village is a hotel in Crete!
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
South Cape is most likely Cape Town, the capital of South Africa.

Freejia is likely an alternative to "Phrygia", which was a city in Turkey. Mythology says that that's where King Midas lived.

It may be more likely that Freejia is a named after a flowering plant known as freesia in English. The plant's Japanese name is フリージア (furi-jia), and it's identical to the Japanese name of the town.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... that would explain the leaves that are eternally falling. But if there was going to be a town name based on water flowers, wouldn't Watermia be more likely (what with the lotus flowers and all).

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotus flowers, yes.

But really. Freejia FUCKING RAINS FLOWERS.

I think that's excuse enough.

Huball
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 63

PostHuball Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Watermia is a pun between water and thermal (wa / thermia). So it basically means "warm water".

But huts on stilts and rafts is a typically architecture for Southeast Asia. Like Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand or the Philippines.

Hmm...Vietnam...do you remember the Russian Roulette scene in
"The Deer Hunter"? Wink

Last edited by Huball on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: