TerraEarth Forums

Real World References... But I Need Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

IT LIVES! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, THE THREAD IS ALIVE AGAIN! O_O

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Huball wrote:
Watermia is a pun between water and thermal (wa / thermia). So it basically means "warm water".

But huts on stilts and rafts is a typically architecture for Southeast Asia. Like Cambodia, Vietnam or the Philippines.

this answers the question about watermia i've always been so curious about. it explains why the city doesn't float away like the dialogue made it sound (the "floating city on water", etc.)
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back...to keep this thread in the air!

Hamlet's sacrifice is a real life reference! Sort of.

It's a reference the Jakata, an old collection of stories about the previous lives of the historical Buddha. In one of them the Buddha is a rabbit - a very pious rabbit who teaches the other forest animals to be moral and faithful. (This is possible since Buddhist beliefs have Hinduist roots - not that folktales are all that concerned with historical accuracy or anything.)

One day, a holy man came to the forest and the animals prepared to show him their hospitality - giving alms to people in religious orders is an important Buddhist obligation. The other animals have no trouble finding nice food for the holy man, but the rabbit eats nothing but grass - he has no suitable food to give, other than his own flesh. So he decides to throw himself onto a fire for the holy man to eat.

There are different versions of the story, but most of the time, the rabbit is rewarded for his resolve and doesn't die. Still, I think this story sheds light on IoG - why Shira's ghost appears in the fire, and why the characters all seem so moved by Hamlet's sacrifice.
rayim
Legend shall speak

Level 6: Stone Golum

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know that at the end of the game, Will sees how his world will evolve to become ours, right? Well, as far as i remember some places are out of... place. The continents drift and the monuments they had end up in other places than our world.
There was a map of all those changes from IoG time to our time somewhere on the internets, i am curious to find out about it more even if most of the places are really evident of their real-world counterpart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Illusion of Gaia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: