TerraEarth Forums

Definitive Classics: A Tale of SNES RPGs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Is Your Favorite SNES RPG?
Final Fantasy II (IV) or III (VI)
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Chrono Trigger
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Lufia II
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Earthbound (Mother 2)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Super Mario RPG
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Seiken Densetsu 2 or 3
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Breath of Fire I or II
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Lenc
Art Monkey

Level 11: Worlock

Resident

Gems 8,348

PostLenc Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

Games I'm Not Sure About Yet:

ActRaiser II
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Lufia: Fortress of Doom
Mortal Kombat

At least give BoF2, FF4 and DKC some serious consideration. They are serioulsy worth it. why not demo them first through emulation?

Also not getting a external thing is a bit of you loss i am sure you can get one for a rather cheap price and allows you to play terranigma. to bad FFV never got a US release on the SNES its together with 9 and 7 the best FF ever. Neither did Seiken Densutsu 3 (secret of Mana 3) its on of THE best snes rpgs allong with CT and FF4-6.

As for other games. Try Earth Worm Jim, Zombies ate my neightbours, TMNT 4 and super punchout all real classics in their genre.

STEAM: Lenc Chroso
BNET: Blindeduif#2260
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Definitive Classics: A Tale of SNES RPGs Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

Therefore, the game must be in CARTRIDGE FORMAT IN USA to be a valid option. (Terranigma and Seiken Densetsu 3 are, therefore, out)

damn, sucks to live in the USA Very Happy

ok, now that my two favorite RPG's are out...

- chrono trigger was pretty awesome, but lacked a bit of epicness.
- secret of mana had plenty of awesome epicness, but was a bit too childish.
- final fantasy 3/6 also had good epicness and was awesome, but lacked personality: choose 4 chars - 3 chars with superstrong zero-cost-every-round-possible superattacks and a healer. still, easy trash and ultrahard boss enemies sometimes, too much grind. and I think the world is too empty.
- link to the past was reaaally great, but more of an adventure than a rpg.
- Bof 1/2 were really solid games and I liked them both very much, but as said, "solid" games
- Lufia 1/2 were pretty good, I liked the idea of playing the past in the 2nd lufia, but they were always "so, terranigma and seiken densetsu 3 are finished... maybe some lufia now?"
- IoG was a good game, problem was I disliked Will and it was a bit slow
- 7th saga was too hard
- secret of evermore was a bit weird, but not too bad. not my game though
- earthbound is interesting, but too strange to love it
- lord of the rings sucks. IT'S SO BAD!

and now to the games you could play, but I DO NOT KNOW which of them are available in your country...

- tales of phantasia: it's fun, and the battle system is so cool! nice graphics and music, decent story but therefore nice ingame-sequences
- star ocean: my rom is broken and I couldn't play it for long, but I think it's as good as tales of phantasia
- sailor moon rpg is awesome, if you have no problems with playing sailor moon guys girls
- mario rpg is pretty good, problem with playing the mario gaylords could appear
- bahamut lagoon sucks. seriously.
- shadow run: cool. just cool Cool . I LOVE the shadow run universe, because it's fucking cool. you can't play this without a walkthrough, be warned!! oh, and you use your pad as a "mouse"
- final fantasy except ff6 all suck on the snes Wink
- secret of the stars sucks.
- I remember some bomberman rpg... wasn't too good as far as I remember.

other non-rpg games I like:

- star wars 1-3, jump'n'shoot
- phalanx, r-type clone but 203498123 times better and faster
- dkc 1-3 of course
- TMNT tournament, street fighter clone but 12034914 times better and faster
- harvest moon Smile
- TMNT IV - turtles in time, very much fun to beat up the foot-gang with another player
- super mario kart
- sim city

I hope I could help you Smile
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tales of phantasia wasn't released on the SNES outside of japan, there is a GBA version of it though.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

imo, lufia; the fortress of doom is rather crap. battles are annoying, music is kinda annoying, and combat is rather clunky.

a good game to play (although rather stupid) is Plok. well, its the centre of a massive in-joke among my friends (although i dont get why we find it so funny)
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Unforgiven: I've given DKC3 several chances, and I just can't keep from hating it. After the GLORY that is DKC2, the third one just doesn't measure up. It's even worse than the first one (not that I'm saying the first one was bad).

@Psychokind: Tales and Star Ocean were only released on GBA and PSP, respectively. If there really was a Bomberman RPG, we didn't get it, but I wish we did. Bomberman is one of my favorite IPs. I had thought about Shadowrun, but wasn't sure if it was my kind of game. I'll have to check it out.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
This topic's discussion has nothing to do with the poll, lol

??? Um, okay....

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:

??? Um, okay....

I'm picking on you Jason Cool

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I thought that BoF 2 was shit, the balance and grinding is just... terrible.
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
If you liked FF6, FF4 is near the same quality. 7 is the one that everyone OMFG LOVES, but it was... eh to me. Love the characters and all, but it's definitely not OMGTHEBEST!!! Final Fantasy game (to me). I honestly liked 4 and 6 more, and 8 is my favourite. 4 has a good story, for sure.

...and come on, Kain is badass.

Its true, Kain is indeed a badass, just one of the many reasons why 4 was a great game

6 was always my favorite of the series, but it was also the first video game I ever played all the way through so I may be a little biased toward it

any who, I have always been and always will be a Final Fantasy junkie and that's why i voted for them

-The Fence Master
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

@Psychokind: Tales and Star Ocean were only released on GBA and PSP, respectively. If there really was a Bomberman RPG, we didn't get it, but I wish we did. Bomberman is one of my favorite IPs. I had thought about Shadowrun, but wasn't sure if it was my kind of game. I'll have to check it out.

alright. I'm little drunk and honest: it's just crap to play only games you can play on your real SNES, you miss so many awesome games this way... buy the games you can, but play the other ones on emulator. please!

I don't want to imagine somebody seriously talking about SNES rpgs without having played seiken densetsu 3 Sad
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:

??? Um, okay....

I'm picking on you Jason Cool

I wasn't at peak performance this morning, so I didn't quite get the joke. Laughing

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
alright. I'm little drunk and honest: it's just crap to play only games you can play on your real SNES, you miss so many awesome games this way... buy the games you can, but play the other ones on emulator. please!

I don't want to imagine somebody seriously talking about SNES rpgs without having played seiken densetsu 3 Sad

Well, the thing is, I really, really like playing my SNES. Alot. I can sit in front of my SNES all day. Especially since I have a kickass controller. But it's not the same playing it on a ROM on my PC, you know? True, I could import it and get a device to play it on my SNES, but that would still leave out Seiken Densetsu 3, because I can't speak Japanese. I would have to play it on my computer.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
psychokind wrote:

Well, the thing is, I really, really like playing my SNES. Alot. I can sit in front of my SNES all day. Especially since I have a kickass controller. But it's not the same playing it on a ROM on my PC, you know? True, I could import it and get a device to play it on my SNES, but that would still leave out Seiken Densetsu 3, because I can't speak Japanese. I would have to play it on my computer.

you can buy snes controllers for the PC and you can connect your PC to the TV. it's not about the system, it's about the games!
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Translated roms, Tay. Very Happy I have a translated rom for SD3. That's how I played Tales of Phantasia and started playing Star Ocean 1! Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that Rudora no Hihou is the most amazing example of a successfully translated ROM, considering the mantra system.

Also, this. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: