TerraEarth Forums

Confessions of a Non-RPG player. /Your first RPG experience
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 pm   Post subject: Confessions of a Non-RPG player. /Your first RPG experience Reply with quote

Or rather I should say, a new RPG player.
As a kid turn based combat, whenever I encountered it, always made my head spin. It seemed overly complicated (I never had the instructions to look at for one thing) and, at a young age, really boring.
So I was never drawn to the RPG genera.
Recently however I was able to play through Symphony of the Night for the first time** and really enjoyed it's RPG elements.
I was curious over this (new to me) kind of challenge, finding and trying new equipment, engrossing storyline etc, So I started playing FF9 (because it was the first old school-flavor RPG I could borrow) and I really really like it so far.

I look forward to exploring the genera to it's fullest but my question to you is, what was your first RPG experience? What got you hooked? And aside from the trilogy, what games do you still love to play through today?

PS- I know there are many RPGs that do not use turn based combat. The "Tales of" series for example.

**Except for 15 hours in "Circle of the Moon" before losing my game, I had only ever played the old school CV games, which after playing a little of the other various SOTN clones I still prefer on the whole.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My first RPG was Dragon Warrior. I still remember that as a kid (around 3 at the time, when I first started playing games), I didn't like the game because the sharp spike in the music when you hit a random encounter scared me. When I got to be about 5, I played it again, and was over that.

I still remember the most infuriating thing in the game, too:

"Excellent move!
It is dodging!"

Assholes evading my critical attacks. Mad

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love RPG elements, but mostly when used in conjunction with the Action/Adventure genre (i.e. SotN, Zelda II, Kingdom Hearts, SB Trilogy, tec.) My first RPG that I ever played was, of course, Super Mario RPG. Granted, that was back when I didn't know what an RPG was. Needless to say, I avoided battles as much as possible, making the game harder on myself in the long-run.

When Pokemon came out in '98 I played it, but it wasn't until around '03 when I played Final Fantasy VII and Golden Sun that I really took notice of the genre. Since then, I've gone back and played Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound for SNES. Honestly, I love the RPG genre. The only thing I don't care for is random battles, but it's very rare to see those in RPGs nowadays.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I hated round-based RPGs too, when I was small. terranigma, zelda, secret of mana was a good choice then Very Happy my first round-based RPG was chrono trigger, probably.
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger I played a lot of platformers (which is probably why I still love them to death now, god I'm a nerd), but I didn't really have the patience for an RPG. I remember a friend of mine asked if I knew how to play them, and tried to see if I could figure out Secret of Evermore for him. That failed so epically. Razz

However, I was intrigued when Super Mario RPG came out, so I said "Sure, I'll try it." I rented it and in the three days I had the game (Major Video sucked balls with their rental policies and how many days we could have things argh), I got up to the volcano. I was HOOKED. One of the times I rented it, I brought it to a friend's house, and his cousin beat the game that night, start to finish. We were both going :O at it. It was pretty awesome. Very Happy

Next up was Final Fantasy 7, but having someone tell you exactly what to do while hovering over your shoulder and announcing the minute you meet Aeris OH SHE'S GONNA DIE made the game not so enjoyable until I could play it for myself (which explains why I like Final Fantasy 8 more.) After Mario RPG though, I didn't look back and emulated as many rpg's as I could. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Ratty Randnums

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe sweet.

Also oh yeah I enjoyed Pokemon when it came out, but it was so simple (and I got to play it so little really, since I would always either never have the batteries or it would be lost) and pick-up-and-play that I never even made the connection that it was an RPG at the time XD.
Very rudimentary but fun stuff.

Also Rainichan have you seen TheSpoonyOne's vids on FF8? He completely tears it apart x3 but you might enjoy more his troll** reviews of FF7 and FF1 though.

FF7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zHbNzEGWA

FF1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJhoitEGuc (which also turns out to be the origin of one of his sketch characters)

**Remember guys these vids are an epic (and often hilarious) troll, so if you take them too seriously and get offended, don't.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I've heard of him, yes. I never understood why FF8 got so much hate. Sad

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't have anything round-based on the SNES, if I recall correctly.

We got Quest 64 (Holy Magic Century) for christmas when it came out, along with Ocarina of Time. Needless to say, Quest 64 didn't draw our attention AT ALL when OoT was the other choice. I never actually played it back then, since the first boss kicked my ass all the time -.-

So the first "rpg" I enjoyed was probably Pokémon Red and Yellow. I played Lufia 2 for quite some time but didn't finish it, same with Lufia 1.

I went back to Quest 64 sometime ago, almost finished it, but then ZACK! dataloss! Damn

So apparently, the only round-based games I ever finished were the Pokemon games!
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i like RPGs ^^

first RPG was TN, of course Very Happy

if round-based or not, i dont care, i aint got problems with round-based RPGs

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken wrote:
i like RPGs ^^

first RPG was TN, of course Very Happy

if round-based or not, i dont care, i aint got problems with round-based RPGs

sure thing, but we're talking about our beginnings here Very Happy playing round-based RPG at the age of 6 or sth is kinda difficult Wink

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My first RPG experiences were Pokemon Red and BoF 1, back then, I didn't know what it was. I just knew that I enjoyed them and that their stories were fun to get into.
Level 6: Stone Golum

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 3,009

Postlucas_kelly11 Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't quite remember but I believe it was Terranigma.
Although Terranigma is more of and action/adventure game, so the first turn based RPG I played was Final Fantasy 8, I think.
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lucas_kelly11 wrote:
Although Terranigma is more of and action/adventure game, so the first turn based RPG I played was Final Fantasy 8, I think.

Of course, I thought we were talking about round-based RPGs.
Then A Link to the Past was the first, or Terranigma if you consider ALttP too adventurish. Terranigma blew me away, and still does. I said it before and I'll say it again: I envy everyone who hasn't played it yet, and who's going o play it for the first time.
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

cant remember what my first round based RPG was... but if you count MIGHT AND MAGIC VI - MANDATE OF HEAVEN then its that Wink

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lucas_kelly11 wrote:

naah, terranigma is a full-blooded RPG. your char even talks(!), you level up and do not play a party or other chars Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: