TerraEarth Forums

Confessions of a Non-RPG player. /Your first RPG experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Terranigma would definitely be an Action/RPG. But it has enough RPG in it to count. I wouldn't count Zelda though, it's more like an Action/Adventure than an Action/RPG.

I still have a hard time understanding why the Zelda series is considered an RPG. Confused

Isn't it more well known as the pioneer series of Adventure games? Right up there with King's Quest and Atari's Adventure?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Terranigma would definitely be an Action/RPG. But it has enough RPG in it to count. I wouldn't count Zelda though, it's more like an Action/Adventure than an Action/RPG.

I still have a hard time understanding why the Zelda series is considered an RPG. Confused

Isn't it more well known as the pioneer series of Adventure games? Right up there with King's Quest and Atari's Adventure?

I agree in all points.
Level 8: Amarante

Level 8: Amarante

Gems 1,000
Location: Someone told me Earth, but I don't believe them. c:

PostHydra.7 Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:54 pm   Post subject: I. HATE. TURNBASE. Reply with quote

My first RPG was Super Mario RPG. I had no idea how to play it. :I

I hate turn based RPGs. period. They bore me beyond comprehension. This is why I have only played one Final Fantasy game in my life. I really like battle systems like Tales of Symphonia, my favorite had to be Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I mean, if half the game is fighting, it should be enjoyable right?

However, now that I am older, I have learn to cope wth them. Our friendship is mutual. I have actually been able to play through Chrono Cross and Legend of Dragoon.

Honestly, I prefer Stratagy RPGs now. Mostly Nippon-Ichi (Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, ect). If there's anything I hate more than Turn based combat, it is video games without a good storyline. ZELDA! You're on the brink. ):<
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into Strategy RPGs, I would recommend getting into the Super Robot Wars Alpha series for the PS2. Those games have kickass animations.
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:53 pm   Post subject: Re: I. HATE. TURNBASE. Reply with quote

Hydra.7 wrote:
If there's anything I hate more than Turn based combat, it is video games without a good storyline. ZELDA! You're on the brink. ):<

I know. It depresses me. Would it really be that hard for them to just have some decent character development in a title? So far Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening have been the closest. *sigh*

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Blade: Quest 64 is amazing. I love that game to bits. It's stupidly hard in the beginning, and if you screw up in the last dungeon, you wander for eternity. Very Happy I think that's why I liked it so much: it was HARD.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

terranigma was my first rpg. and tay, i agree completely. if zelda had storyline and good character development (even if the plot gets reused) it would be so much better than it already is.

in terms of actual story, twilight princess wasnt bad, what with cinematics and non-trivial sidequests and all
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ raini: Quest 64 is damn easy for the most part if you put enough on water. Water -> Healing -> Random Houses without enemys -> running in circels -> restores Mana -> Healing -> Repeat.

I made it to the last city where some houses are burnt down...after the desert. Couldn't stand the music though >.<
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what the first one was, i'll just say mario. oh wait.

mystic quest i think may have been my first RPG, at least turn-based. and there was also IOG.

actually don't remember a lot of the SNES games we had now, and which were RPG's.

Last edited by Mantaray on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
@ raini: Quest 64 is damn easy for the most part if you put enough on water. Water -> Healing -> Random Houses without enemys -> running in circels -> restores Mana -> Healing -> Repeat.

I made it to the last city where some houses are burnt down...after the desert. Couldn't stand the music though >.<

Oh, definitely. Hard at the beginning though, where you have to grind like mad to get good spells to kill off the first boss.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Freedan, my first RPG was Dragon Warrior. I logged alot of hours playing that game (Damn those Silver Slimes to hell- 127 EXP and would run after you landed three attacks).
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose people simply put Zelda in with RPGs because of a connection between RPGs and classical fantasy elements.
And also because until the GTA induced craze of sandbox games truly non-linear/free exploration action games were still relatively rare.
So I guess it's only natural that back in the NES days you'd call a top down fantasy exploration/action game a "light-RPG" (and their was an obvious attempt to make it more heavily RPG-ish with Link's Adventure) though I agree the term doesn't really apply.
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Zelda is like a beginners RPG...you don't have to worry about anything except collecting heart-parts.
Thats why I think WoW sucks...no stats, only skills to buy. BUY! Who the hell pays money for skills??
Ratty Randnums

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
Yeah Zelda is like a beginners RPG...you don't have to worry about anything except collecting heart-parts.
Thats why I think WoW sucks...no stats, only skills to buy. BUY! Who the hell pays money for skills??

A lot of people, unfortunately. When you think about it it's an ingenius money making scheme. The only way to become strong in the game is to stay there longer/level up or buy items, both of which cost money. (And that's not even counting the nuts who pay people in third world countries to level up and gold farm for them while they sleep.) All they have to do is provide a social network with basic gameplay and an ad on every few years (which the people will again have to pay for) to keep the train'a rollin'.

On a side-note. I've just gotten a little ways into disc two of FFIX, poor Freya... her character quote finally makes sense though XD
Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't refering about real money at first, but it's a good point! Same goes for the gameplay/social network thing!

WoW was disappointing as hell, for me as a big Warcraft fan. After WC3 The Frozen Throne, I was eager to find out how the story would evolve, and WoW pics up in the most unepic, boring and repetetive way Sad

Almost no skill required, the only thing you need is time, and money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: