TerraEarth Forums

What book are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hundred or so pages into Needful Things, another Stephen King novel.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
PaGaN3l3m3nts
Level 7: Raiden

Gems 1,022

PostPaGaN3l3m3nts Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read a lot, so it gives me motivation to bump this topic.
Finally got around to reading Animal Farm by George Orwell. during breaks at work, but will probably finish it today, and switch over to Time Enough For Love by Robert A. Heinlein.

Animal Farm MUCH shorter than expected, but enjoyable. But, I only decided to read it after finally getting around to reading 1984 a while back, and as that book was written afterwards and expands the concepts, AF doesn't leave much of an impression.
Ratty Randnums

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up where I left off in "Berserk", a manga who's simple title belies it's vast complexity and depth.

The author does a wonderful job making *all* of the characters feel complex, ugly, beautiful and flawed. In a word, real.***
You actually care about them. And the world just draws you in and doesn't let go.
It's quite possible that I have been (extremely) moved when reading this more than any other work of fiction I have ever read.
And we're talking about a story who's main character brandishes a nine foot long sword fighting demons. No small feet.

***Griffith is a possible exception, but he is supposed to be cold and unknowable. We do get at least one glimpse inside his head though.

PS- I still can't figure out the books stance on homosexuality. Though there is a LOT of obvious homosexual subtext, it's not at all obvious what, if anything, that subtext is trying to convey.

PPS- I've never seen the anime, but I hear it's an ok-to decent adaptation of the 5 years of back story in the book. Which might serve as a good introduction to those not willing to read the 4 hundred or so manga chapters.

A Music Video Showcasing the Manga - Dark Tranquility's Wonders At Your Feet.
(***Graphic Images***, no joke, this manga has to be sold in a plastic wrapper in the states.) Also never use manga hut XD it's a spyware-tastic site. Too bad onemanga doesn't have Berserk anymore, still not hard to find though.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Berserk is amazing. I have the first couple of volumes, but the next one I need is hard to find because everyone seems to get into it, argh!

Buuut for school I'm reading Frankenstein! It's really interesting, and I'm enjoying it.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving into another King novel, "Black House." It's a sequel to one of his earlier novels, "The Talismen."
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
gavdaman88
Level 8: Amarante

Level 8: Amarante

Gems 3,008

Postgavdaman88 Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading Riley's 'Ice Station' for what is probably the 10th time. Such an intense book, really makes you fear killer whales!
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 70

PostLavos Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am reading the Thousand Orcs by R.A. Salvatore. I will be trying to get my copy of Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academics tomorrow.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yay me, i finally bought the first book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. time to start reading Very Happy
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My hectic schedule does not oft leave time for reading, I usually listen to audiobooks. But I just finished reading the Novelization of JU-ON.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished all 14 volumes of Love Hina.

It...

...was...

...so...

...EPIC.

Seriously. A thousand times better than the Anime.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

currently reading 3x3 eyes. im trying to speed through it since i have a fear of the 500-something chapters suddenly being taken off the website xD not sure of that equals 40 volumes, but whatev, it's a good read so far ^^ i reaaally wish that they'd work on the anime someore...

im also trying to look for a book to read. i saw one that looked good laying around earlier, but it disappeared and i forgot what it was =_=
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished jose carlos somozas ZIG ZAG and gonna start now with adam fawners IMPROBABLE

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday morning I devoured Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev. I had read up to... chapter 10 or so beforehand, and finished the last 10-11 chapters in one sitting. It was fantastic. *_*

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started re-reading The Giver by Lois Lowry, actually. My older sisters favorite book and one of my top ten. I remember writing a paper where I compared The Giver to Anthem by Ayn Rand. Let's face it, despite the totalitatarian overtones of both books, Anthem is a much darker book than The Giver.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Nurdof
Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 71,096

PostNurdof Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of reading "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." Very interesting book, especially being a lot more epic than the previous three that came before it. Cool Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: