TerraEarth Forums

The Crisis OITE: Part One: Chapter Nine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth Fanworks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:35 am   Post subject: The Crisis OITE: Part One: Chapter Nine Reply with quote

(After much delay, the ninth chapter of the Crisis is finally ready. Chapter ten I intend to have done by the end of the week. But for now, this one is ready. And for those who haven't read it yet, the other eight chapters are available to read elsewhere. After the story is finished, I'll prolly have the Admins delete the other posts and create a single post, as to have it in one, easy to read area. But for now, head over to Showcasing. You should only need to go back a page or two.)

Nine - TE: Superior, Revelations and Inflections

Martin Roberts sat on the couch in his cramped apartment, next to his girlfriend Katrina. She was looking into his eyes, and he had tried to look back, but his gaze would turn away. He looked off toward a wall, lost in his own thoughts. She placed a hand on his cheek, and turned his vision back towards her. Blue, he thinks to himself, there’s nothing more beautiful. She gives him a reassuring smile, putting her other hand on top of his.
“There was something you were going to tell me,” she says, and his heart begins to race. His body tenses itself, and the nervousness seeps into his bones. It was just like this when I first asked her out, he thinks now, but this changes everything.
It should, afterall- he is the last of the remaining heroes who hasn’t exposed themselves, and thusly, losing his freedom over his old life as he’d know it.
You're stalling some alien voice tells him, stop it. She deserves to know- prehaps, she’s always deserved to know. He lets out a single sigh, and begins. “I’m SBiF-Man,” he says, now feeling this giant weight hanging on his shoulders. It was out, there was no way he could turn back. Not now. “I’ve kept it from you all this time because-”
He stops, looking deep into her eyes. A smile cross her lips, and she lets out a playful laugh. “It’s about time you got around to telling me. I thought we’d be playing the secret game forever.” His eyes widen, and his mouth drops. “Do you honestly think I wouldn’t have figured it out by now?”
“What do you mean,” he asks, half in shock and half in relief. This was not the answer he had been expecting. Not at all.
“I’ve had my suspicions, the quick exists, the missed dates, the lame transparent excuses. I’ve pretty much know the entire time we’d been dating.”
“Then why didn’t you just come out and ask me,” Martin said, and then added “if you’d know.”
“I figured you’d tell me in your own time. You had your reasons, and I understand the need to have a normal life. As just a hero, as SBiF-Man, you couldn’t have a family,” he finished, and then added “or love.” She looked at him thoughtfully, and then said, “are you ready to tell the world now?”
He let out a sigh. No more secrets, no more lies. Tell her. Everything. Of course there was more. What was happening, right now, the danger to their world- she knew the biggie, and now she needed to know the rest. Prehaps, the biggier.
“There is a reason I told you,” he said, some but not all of the tenseness in his body receding. “It’s something that happened on my way to work today...” He started with the meeting of Professor Flare, the revelations of the TerraVerses, of the Traveler, or Rizan. He left out no detail, save for the fact that they knew not of where Ark Rizan was hiding. When he finshed, he let out another sign.
“You’ll protect me. I mean, us. Everyone. You won’t let this awful thing happen to us, will you?”
He smiled to her, and for the first time (And he’d hoped the last) he told her a lie. “No. We’ll stop him. He won’t destroy this world, or any others.” They hugged each other, and when she could no longer see his face, the smile faded away. I hope we can.

Elsewhere...

Raini-Woman finds herself flying over the planet- her planet, in her invisible hang-glyder. She looks over the vast landscape, the cities, the open country-side, the mountains, the woods, even the deserts. This whole world was hers, and she was fiercely protective over it, for good or ill. She’d spent the last five years of her life- ever since she received the Squeaky Mallet of Doom, protecting it from the dangers, the evil men and women who’d threaten it. But what if that was all gone? What if there was no world left to protect?
Stop that, she tried telling herself, but it was no use. She thinks about when she was human- a normie, as they are sometimes referred. A life blissfully unaware, a life where meta-humans were others, not you.
Must me nice to be normal, and not know you’re going to die.
“I said, stop that!” She’d frightened herself with her own voice, unaware she’d even spoken aloud. It didn’t matter, though- the situation was what it was, and there wasn’t a damn thing that was going to change hat. Although her life had changed the day she first held the SMOD, the power changing her into the most badass biotch this side of South-Cape City, for the first time since that fateful day, despair had entered her heart. And no matter how hard she tried, it wouldn’t leave.

Elsewhere...

Freedan sits in the office of the Hall of Heroes, his mind wrapping themselves around the events that transpired that day
(Then may the Gods have mercy)
and even now, he couldn’t believe in it. You must accept it, and get over it, he told himself. Everyone is counting on you.
He slammed his fist onto the desk, splitting it in half. He stood up, turning to his attention toward the large plate-glass windows overlooking the city. From this height, the moving cars and people resemble ants.
Rizan does not see life like I do. He sees them all like ants, and he intends to step on the hills, if he can. But what he won’t expect is us stopping him. And we will.
Gonna try, another voice says, sounding alot like his brother. He lowers his head, wishing Joan hadn’t been the the one person not afraid to ask the questions no one else would. Or, more likely, no one really wanted to know the answers.
And if we are unable to stop this? His own voice now.
It wasn’t the question, so much as the answers, that now haunted him. Professor Flare- Traveler from another world called Prime, a world so far advanced it grew past war, grew past disease, solved hunger and power solutions. The one thing it could not grow past, was humanity’s nature to destroy itself.
Then may the God’s have mercy upon all of us, he heard Flare say, echoing through his mind, and felt the urge to shiver all over. Afterall, it wasn’t the first time you’d heard those words, right, Ace? His brothers voice again. And this time, he did shiver.

Elsewhere...

The other heroes were in no mood to socialize that day, and while some spent what may be their last day with loved ones, others were on the hunt for Rizan and his men, searching the streets for a man they had never met, a man they hadn’t heard about until this very afternoon, and prehaps, the greatest danger mankind (And meta-kind) have ever faced.
Chicken sat alone in the rec room at the Hall of Heroes. Earlier, he’d played cards with friends and had laughs. There had been fun. Now, it was a lonely, empty place. The fun was gone, and a figurative bitter taste had been left in his mouth. He didn’t know if he’d ever play another hand of War again, or even if he’d see tomorrow. He sat there, and only a single though came to mind, which he spoke out to no one, “I should’ve taken that vacation.”
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> TerraEarth Fanworks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: