TerraEarth Forums

Play! A Video Game Symphony
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww...

Blood of Ganon is one of mah favorites... Sad

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:

This is like I'd say that DnB is the lowest form of electronical music.

I agree. precisely, jungle and goa. melodic DnB with slight vocals can be very harmonic.

Quote:
But (and by this, I speak on a topic I've spent quite alot of time on) some forms of Metal are the most passionate in the whole town of "Rock".
95 % of Rock end at the "easy-listening", "broad audience MTV" barrier.
Metal (True Heavy Metal, not the Bullet for my Valentine Slipknot crap) went further. It brought mindblowing musicians, movements, lifestyles, subcultures, awareness of life...it's the á la carte of amplified n distorted music.

And last time I heard the song, guitars and drums were harmonic.

no doubt about that cultural influence (like hip-hop, electronic music, classic and EVERY style of music has had its Very Happy ), but I'm talking about the mechanical composition needed. there are little heavy metal bands that sound skillful (aside from complicated guitar solos Wink ) and fitting at the same time, that's what I meant.

Quote:
Original
Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel

"Cover"
The Black Mages - One Winged Angel

Millions of FF-Fanboys can't be wrong Wink

now that's a good one! but I said opera/electronic music, and not game music^^

Quote:
Oh, and if you like bpm, you can lend an ear to Aanal Nathrakh - Castigation and Betrayal
Yes, he's not singing, he's impersonating a dying human!

I said the opposite -.- extremely high bpm are almost only likeable through personal taste.

Quote:
psychokind wrote:
you can only evaluate music in their technical assembly. I always advise people to try to clap an quaver, or at least a quarter measure, if they can't they can't estimate music Very Happy

psychokind wrote:

ok Rolling Eyes I mean clap a quarter measure in a actual quarter measure and not in different tempo (btw, what does that mean Very Happy quarter measure IS a tempo). very little people can do that actually.

Stop clapping and learn an instrument Laughing

Largo (40 - 60 bpm), Lento, Grave, Adagio, Andante, Moderato (120 bpm), Allegretto, Allegro, Vivo, Presto, Prestissimo (220 bpm) are tempos.
You can clap 4/4 tacts in any tempo you want. If I clap in Largo, it'll take longer than if you clap in Prestissimo. Still, we're both clapping in the same tact.

Very little people on the internet actually know what they're talking about! Very Happy Wink

I played guitar for 4 years and was in a chorus for another 4 or 5 years. and I have to admit I neither can read notes nor do I know most tempo variations, but I don't need that since I can memorize a song after hearing it two or three times.
my parents play over a dozen of instruments and take part in 5 different music groups; I can do a 1/32 with my fingers flawlessly since I can think. genetics > all.

means: if you show it to me for some seconds, I can clap all of your mentioned variations for you. I swear that Mr. Green

music is nothing more than simple acoustic stimuli affecting the human brain in some way, everything more than that is emotional influence and imagination Wink
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

I agree. precisely, jungle and goa. melodic DnB with slight vocals can be very harmonic.

My point was rather, since I haven't spent much time on electronic music, I'm not to evaluate its subgenres, despise my abilitiy to play (or clap) in tact aswell (E-Guitar for 6 years here).
Maybe you're mixing "harmonic" with "easy listenable", which most Metal compared to other Rock genres clearly isn't!

I don't know how much you know about Rock, but by saying
psychokind wrote:
nothing belongs in the world of rock :/

it seems like its not that much...

Sorry, but it's quite big-headed from you to claim the ability to evaluate music you (apparently) don't know much about just because you can clap in tact.

Songstructure, composing skills, vocal skills, drum patterns, the musicians skill in generall, are all mechanical components. In these terms, most Metal ranks high above standard Rock! Metal isn't just Manowar Wink

Personal taste is personal taste, but I think our minds part on valuing certain aspects. Metal is low-valuable from a point of view were easy-listenability and harmony are an actual aspect, but for me on the other side, nowadays popsongs and most of the stuff played on the radio disgust my ears yet alone to "mechanical aspects".

Other than that, I have an open ear for all music genres as long as they have something to offer.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:

My point was rather, since I haven't spent much time on electronic music, I'm not to evaluate its subgenres, despise my abilitiy to play (or clap) in tact aswell (E-Guitar for 6 years here).
Maybe you're mixing "harmonic" with "easy listenable", which most Metal compared to other Rock genres clearly isn't!

I don't know how much you know about Rock, but by saying
psychokind wrote:
nothing belongs in the world of rock :/

it seems like its not that much...

that meant: nothing belongs in any world of music Wink and you're pretty much right in saying "easy listenable" and "harmonic" are mixed. evaluating music is showing music to someone who never heard music in his life before. a harmonic song will remain harmonic to everyone who hears it (if he's got enough biological brain capacity), and somewhat "easy listenable" is part of harmonic.

Quote:
Sorry, but it's quite big-headed from you to claim the ability to evaluate music you (apparently) don't know much about just because you can clap in tact.

Songstructure, composing skills, vocal skills, drum patterns, the musicians skill in generall, are all mechanical components. In these terms, most Metal ranks high above standard Rock! Metal isn't just Manowar Wink

Personal taste is personal taste, but I think our minds part on valuing certain aspects. Metal is low-valuable from a point of view were easy-listenability and harmony are an actual aspect, but for me on the other side, nowadays popsongs and most of the stuff played on the radio disgust my ears yet alone to "mechanical aspects".

Other than that, I have an open ear for all music genres as long as they have something to offer.

that was exactly what I tried to say: you do not need any foreknowledge to evaluate music. just a inherent ear for music; a bit polished by your parents in your childhood years (classical music, guitar or piano pieces...).

being able to clap in a measure is just one of the side effects of that.

and metal being the lowest form of rock was only my personal opinion, I don't think that it's right when listening to Sanatorium from Metallica. but it's just that most rocksongs that are just crap have somewhat "metal" in their "genres" name^^ (I don't refer grindcore and stuff as music)
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point now Smile
Stripping down music to its technical "facts" so you can show it to someone who has never touched music before!
Weird, but I get it! Wink

psychokind wrote:

and metal being the lowest form of rock was only my personal opinion, I don't think that it's right when listening to Sanatorium from Metallica. but it's just that most rocksongs that are just crap have somewhat "metal" in their "genres" name^^ (I don't refer grindcore and stuff as music)

Oh Grindcore is fun! Very Happy Japanische Kampfhörspiele ftw! imo Wink
Grindcore can't be taken serious, Black Metal or Extreme Metal in general are more of an "artform" thats draws is appreciator to it.
If I would've gone from Children Of Bodom (my first extreme, true Metal band) to Darkthrone, I wouldn't have been able to stand it one second. An ear for the more extreme stuff, thats something you develope over the years...

But you've got to differ between 0815 Rock, and true gems. There's a whole treasure of bands who put some serious work into it!
You might like Children Of Bodom, Nevermore, Opeth or Dream Theatre.

psychokind wrote:
a bit polished by your parents in your childhood years (classical music, guitar or piano pieces...)

Same here! My mom always played "Cats" to me, and we always listened to the orchestrated "Peter and the Wolf" andsoforth! Its definitely a gift![/quote]

Last edited by Blade on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
An ear for the more extreme stuff, thats something you develope over the years...

definitely true. ill vouch for it

psychokind wrote:
and metal being the lowest form of rock was only my personal opinion, I don't think that it's right when listening to Sanatorium from Metallica. but it's just that most rocksongs that are just crap have somewhat "metal" in their "genres" name^^

that depends on what metal you listen to. some metal bands use a lot of melodic lines, orchestra, piano/keyboard in their songs. (pretty much every power metal band, and then some black/death metal) this is a lot (well i technically cant say better, because thats relative to one's taste) more involved and complex than stuff like metallica and a lot of the crap thats being thrown around as 'metal' these days. not that im saying metallica is crap - they arent, just a bit past their use-by imo - its just that metal is a lot more diverse than it was when they were in their prime
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
I see your point now Smile
Stripping down music to its technical "facts" so you can show it to someone who has never touched music before!
Weird, but I get it! Wink

weird, that's for sure Very Happy but you can't value music otherwise. of course, music is always more personal taste and often bound to certain memories which makes "bad" songs great to us.
I'm excited about the thought someday the human brain is decrypted enough so we can use sounds as drugs, stimulating us in perfection. or eric cartmans "brown tune" Laughing

Quote:
Oh Grindcore is fun! Very Happy Japanische Kampfhörspiele ftw! imo Wink
Grindcore can't be taken serious, Black Metal or Extreme Metal in general are more of an "artform" thats draws is appreciator to it.
If I would've gone from Children Of Bodom (my first extreme, true Metal band) to Darkthrone, I wouldn't have been able to stand it one second. An ear for the more extreme stuff, thats something you develope over the years...

But you've got to differ between 0815 Rock, and true gems. There's a whole treasure of bands who put some serious work into it!
You might like Children Of Bodom, Nevermore, Opeth or Dream Theatre

cuntgrinder Very Happy I like their funny radio plays before the songs start Wink I know there are really great metal bands out there, but it's the same with DnB: if you listen to shitty rock/electronic music, it's most likely a metal band/DnB. that's why I refer them to their lowest speciemen in their genre, nothing else.

Quote:
Same here! My mom always played "Cats" to me, and we always listened to the orchestrated "Peter and the Wolf" andsoforth! Its definitely a gift!

mine was mainly hispanic guitar solo songs when I was about 1 or 2 years old. it gives me the creeps when my father plays one of those and I suddenly can't remember why I know this song exactly. must be the same feeling someone new out of the Matrix has when he suddenly kung-fu's around in spite of never having learned it consciously Eek! implanted memories? who knows Very Happy
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
C'mon Psycho, listen to this and tell me to the face this is NOT the most awesome thing you've ever heard!

Virt - Blood of Ganon

+1!!!!

Funny you should mention that song, as it is appearing in your storyline in TE:A. Very Happy

And I will agree that orchestras do tend to make things epic, and making rock and metal versions of certain songs do have flair, but as a universalist when it comes to music I believe there is a time and place for everything. Music that is appropriate to orchestrate, such as Classical and Baroque music as well as video games that do their scores to make the themes of the afforementioned (such as Final Fantasy) is good, but

Sonic music is I think the purest form of video game music. Rock remixes sound poor, orchestrated doesn't fit. Sonic music simply is video game music and only sounds decent in its original format.

My pet peeve is when people orchestrate video game music, but drown it in orchestral fancy-ness to the point where they lose the original theme. Want evidence of that?

Original Kefka Theme

Orchestrated Kefka Theme (from FF6)

This is a GOOD orchestration. They mess with the theme about but give it the flounce and pomp that the villain Kefka was meant to have and is therefore an accurate representation of his theme. Now same game, different song.

Original Phantom Forest Theme

Orchestrated Phantom Forest

The introduction is good, but it has nothing to do with the actual theme and when they finally get to the theme they lose what the theme was all about. The subtle, yet beautiful eerieness of the original piece is lost.

Okay. While searching, I found something so epic I dare not continue along this line of searching. You will see!

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

Sonic music is I think the purest form of video game music. Rock remixes sound poor, orchestrated doesn't fit. Sonic music simply is video game music and only sounds decent in its original format.

you sure? (except for the strange short solo in the middle)

Quote:
My pet peeve is when people orchestrate video game music, but drown it in orchestral fancy-ness to the point where they lose the original theme. Want evidence of that?

it's indeed hard to orchestrate sth the right way, especially with artificial orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8qYwW-os4 this one's pretty decent.[/url]
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chemical Zone Remix was still synthetic though. It sounds like video game music still. I'm talking about when they do stuff like electric guitars and drums and stuff and lose the formula.

That kicked ass btw.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

it's indeed hard to orchestrate sth the right way, especially with artificial orchestra.

id say the Black Mages prove this point. some of their songs are awesome (some of the ff8 ones spring to mind) and others are just crap (decisive battle, the extreme)

WHY OH WHY did they butcher the extreme?
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
The Chemical Zone Remix was still synthetic though. It sounds like video game music still. I'm talking about when they do stuff like electric guitars and drums and stuff and lose the formula.

That kicked ass btw.

of course it's synthetic, it's a trance remix Very Happy
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm   Post subject: Re: Play! A Video Game Symphony Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Chrono Trigger-Chrono Cross Medley

Hey, I have that song on soundtrack cd as pre-order bonus on Chrono Trigger DS.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Deathpit! Long time no see! I did a double-take when I saw your name, lol. How ya been?

Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Hey Deathpit! Long time no see! I did a double-take when I saw your name, lol. How ya been?

Little grumpy. But I have experienced some problems going on since January. Some are related to recession in United States. I wont do anything normal until my family and things get up on foot.
Access to internet over tethering was limited due to 5gb cap by carrier. I wont do anything but check for emails/news and visit the websites. I wont do online gaming and mega downloads for long time. Mad
But I dont mind to log on and check out what's going on TE Forums. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: