TerraEarth Forums

White/ Straight Pride Parades?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 pm   Post subject: White/ Straight Pride Parades? Reply with quote

Why can't we have them?

Isn't it equally racist to deny caucasian-americans the right to show pride for their race? It seems like the second we do we instantly get called racist against african-americans, but then how come the same logic does not apply in reverse?

How come an African-American can go around shouting "Black Power!" they get applauded and when a white person goes around shouting "White Power!" they get booed and egged. (Well to be fair I think both of these statements are racist, but it should be both ways).

Similarly if there are gay pride parades, why can't there be straight pride parades? Again prevention of us from having these seems to be just as bigoted.

Neither of these scenarios would be attacking other races and orientations but merely glorifying our own. So why not?

Well I got sick of it last week and declared July - White Pride month. From the anglo-saxons to the burger-munching, beer drinking carnivores we are now, Whites have a lot of history. Pretty much all of European history is based around the caucasians!

As for straight pride month... I don't know. Maybe we'll just get a bunch of fat guys in football jerseys running down Main Street screaming "We love titties! We love boobs!" It be about as obnoxious as some gay pride parades with the speedo-clad cowboys. I'm sorry, but if you want to earn respect, that's not the way to do it! It's a poor representation of the culture in my opinion.

Anyways, you think I'm an idiot, or maybe I have some good ideas here?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because white straits aren't a minority, while gays are. blacks are not treated equally, so it's okay for them to demonstrate. or sth like that, I pressume.

in germany everybody may demonstrate, as long as its authorized by publich authority. nazis as well as gays, while gay parades are more often not allowed because of noise, garbage and scandalization.

for me, I'm not very proud of the white race (more than of the other races), I'm judging humans by their actions. 95% of all humans are bullshit, no matter the race.

anyways, I like prejudices. especially against (former) sowjets, all drinking criminals Wink might be because germans own cool prejudices, like hard-working, war-loving and stuff Evil or Very Mad

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

We were just talking about stuff like that last week.

I find stuff like that very irritating.

I'm all for fair treatment and equal rights, and I thought it was a step forward for equality when our government legalized same-sex marriage. But the key word there is "equality".

If people want to be treated equally, that's fine... you're equal. But 'equal' doesn't mean 'special treatment at your discretion'. There would be a major uproar if people took to the streets to celebrate their heterosexuality, or had "white pride month".

In other words, if people want to be equal, they shouldn't try to portray themselves as special when they would never tolerate it from someone else.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it slightly irritating, but this is not a debate I want to get into. Very Happy It does boil down to a simple DON'T BE HYPOCRITICAL ABOUT SOMETHING in my world though, because the contradictions I see everywhere irritate me SO BADLY. It mainly makes me want to punch babies.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

*hands raini a baby*

there you go, enjoy.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There are white pride parades, unfortunately they are white suprimacy rallies as well.
I mean, thousands of klan memebers marched in Washington in the early part of the last century. It's easy to see why that image would stick around and come to mind when you hear something like "White pride".
And you can't really boil it down to saying you aren't allowed to host such rallies, because you are. But no one would come to them, (At least any of the type of people I imagine you'd want to come.)

The thing is when you're the majority you don't really need to come together to support and celebrate each other. If you walk down the street in most affluent American areas. Who do you see? White, straight people. Same thing you see on when you look at the magazine rack or turn on the TV.
They don't need to demonstrate that they exist and that their voice matters through something like a public march. The thing as I see it is just messed up in general. Putting so much focus on race and sexuality that should be put on the real differences that they are a smokescreen and detraction for - namely economic disparities.

But, sadly, these very visible-if equally shallow means of distinguishing ourselves from one another don't look like they'll be letting up their entrenchment in our cultures in the near future.
Sure, Obama is black. He's also filthy rich, which by the day less well reflects the American populace. Which do you think would make someone understand the problems of everyday people more. Living like/in similar conditions to most of the people you represent- or have the same skin tone?
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratty Randnums wrote:

The thing is when you're the majority you don't really need to come together to support and celebrate each other.

If minorities insist on being treated equally, they shouldn't need to celebrate each other either.

They're equal, which is what they wanted. But if they can celebrate themselves while I would be labeled a racist or bigot for doing the same, that's no longer equal; that's special treatment.

Ratty Randnums

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
Ratty Randnums wrote:

The thing is when you're the majority you don't really need to come together to support and celebrate each other.

If minorities insist on being treated equally, they shouldn't need to celebrate each other either.

They're equal, which is what they wanted. But if they can celebrate themselves while I would be labeled a racist or bigot for doing the same, that's no longer equal; that's special treatment.

They're outnumbered and not very well represented in the mainstream culture that surrounds them. I'm not saying that if you're in the majority that you can't march or whatever- I'm saying that the reason the majority doesn't do this sort of thing is because they don't HAVE to to feel like they're not alone and to have a sense of community.

Equality doesn't mean that we're all the same. If all people are actually equal, there should be no reason not to celebrate our differences and individuality/varitiy as well as our similarities.
It's just that I doubt most people in the majority feel compelled to do so.
After all for example, who's history do we learn about every other month than black history month? European history. Not the history of the Orient, not native American history. Europeans and european-settlers/descendent's, that's what we learn about. Maybe with some greek or roman history thrown in for a grounding in //western// thought. XD I doubt that many people have sat around and said "You know what we didn't learn enough about in school? The founding fathers and the white Christian settlers of the west. Let's have a poetry festival to increase awareness of it in an artful way."

Sorry XD that came out a lot more combative than I meant it to Smile but yeah just saying. I don't believe it doesn't happen because it's frowned upon, because as we all know the majority seems to be able to do pretty much whatever it wants most of the time- but because most people in the majority don't feel the need for it.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratty Randnums wrote:

They're outnumbered and not very well represented in the mainstream culture that surrounds them. I'm not saying that if you're in the majority that you can't march or whatever- I'm saying that the reason the majority doesn't do this sort of thing is because they don't HAVE to to feel like they're not alone and to have a sense of community.

Equality doesn't mean that we're all the same. If all people are actually equal, there should be no reason not to celebrate our differences and individuality/varitiy as well as our similarities.
It's just that I doubt most people in the majority feel compelled to do so.
After all for example, who's history do we learn about every other month than black history month? European history. Not the history of the Orient, not native American history. Europeans and european-settlers/descendent's, that's what we learn about. Maybe with some greek or roman history thrown in for a grounding in //western// thought. XD I doubt that many people have sat around and said "You know what we didn't learn enough about in school? The founding fathers and the white Christian settlers of the west. Let's have a poetry festival to increase awareness of it in an artful way."

I think so too. white straights march very often, because of workplace fights, demonstrating against new Law's or court decisions and so on. this is somewhat marching against inequality, not in terms of minoritys but in terms of the state vs. the people, big companies...

we're mostly learning european history too. might be a bit white supremacy, but we just have the most interesting history Very Happy
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The world will always be a double standard, my friends, and not just race. Some of the laziest people I know have well paying jobs, and some of the most hardworking are getting royally screwed.

The thing of it is, in the past, homosexuals were beaten and killed- hey! Guess what? THEY STILL ARE. What about the Blacks? In the past,. they were ridiculed, beaten, murdered. Guess what? STILL HAPPENS TOO. Racism and bigotry have existed, and will probably continue to exist, for as long as humanity exists on this world.

I don't feel a need to have a "White Power Day" or "Heterosexual parade." Want to why? Let me ask you all a simple question; have you ever been teased, made fun of, for being straight, or, anglo-saxon/white? If you have, then you have all the right in the world to have your "History months" and parades and so on. If not, you don't know what it's like to be in a minority.

If that comes off as too abrasive, I do apologize. I can't say I'm exactly innocent myself- I've called my fare share of people "gay," not knowning in one instance that person really was. As a kid, you think it's all a joke, that what you say doesn't affect people. I thought the kid was an asshole, and just didn't like me. We never talked about it, and it wasn't until many years later I had learned he was gay. Do I feel terrible about it? Absolutely. Did he deserve it? No. It's one of those lessons you have to find out about yourself- tolerance.

Now like I said, the world exists on double-standards. You can't fight the world, so I guess we'll just have to live with it.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think it would make a lot of sense to have a white pride parade for heterosexuals... as already mentioned, we are a mayority in every country.

apart from that, who would really go to a white pride parade? probably those, who really ARE proud to be white and VOILA! those must be the nazis, right? prejudiction...

and that "white power" stuff... i guess we are somehow "handicapped" because of the KKK. those are phrases that everyone links with something bad, like "arbeit macht frei".

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I don't feel a need to have a "White Power Day" or "Heterosexual parade." Want to why? Let me ask you all a simple question; have you ever been teased, made fun of, for being straight, or, anglo-saxon/white? If you have, then you have all the right in the world to have your "History months" and parades and so on. If not, you don't know what it's like to be in a minority.

I've been insulted for being anglo-saxon and white pretty often. mostly by arabs or sowjets. they hate germany very much, in spite living here. we often had debates in school about racial conflict, and I really love arguing about that. besides, we have the ultimate argument on our side:

two Turkish in a train: "hey, guess what? we're over 6 million turks now in germany, we can almost take over!"
old women in the seat behind them: "you think so young ones? we once had over 6 million jews in germany Cool "

don't get me wrong, as said I'm no racist, especially against jews. in my opinion, killing the jews was the reason we lost WW2. and I like their religion, christianity without the gay forgivness Very Happy
but sometimes I just have to think killing of some of the sowjets and turkish here would really do some good Wink I wouldn't want white parades for me, but I'd love to see more military parades to show off our cool stuff we got in germany. and damn, make those grey cloaks black finally Evil or Very Mad
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I too think that this is silly.

And that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

(There's too many long replies to read Crying or Very sad)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My lesbian sister got quite vocal on the subject:

"Civilization as we know it has been nothing but WHITE CHRISTIAN MALE PRIDE!!! Equality is bout FINALLY getting what should have been given to the minorities all along! Holy Bigot Batman! I truly worry about you anymore lil bro'"

My friend Jacob:

"Gay pride parades are the most bigoted thing on the fucking planet. If we had a straight pride parade, it'd be considered hate mongering. No, fuck that bullshit. Gay and straight people are perfectly equal... gay people don't deserve ANY more rights than straight people do. They deserve exactly the same, as we're all people. To say they do is a bigoted statement, and whoever says that can go fuck themselves."

"And you know what? All those gay people who march are proud to be gay. Well, good for them, but if I walked down the road and said I'm proud to be straight, they'd get mad at me. Well, you're damn fucking right I'm proud to be straight."

My sister responds thusly:

"Jacob stop makin the usual ass of yourself and think about how often you've gotten beaten up/ murdered or raped because your bangin some chick (thank GOD never my sister!!) Pride isn't about getting better treatment it's about say HEY guess what we can go down the street holding hands and not get killed!! You've never needed to have pride about ... Read Morethat cause Straight guys have always had that RIGHT!!! Fact is until just recently straight guys have had the right to have their way with any girl they want whether the girl wants it or not! Jesus you people have illegally drank your brains away!!"

"And anyway I've had my doubts bout your pride anyway"

"Oh ya and Micah you gonna set it up with a bonfire, shotguns and alcohol cuz you know how Shmart that beeez. (Worries almost everyday you and Dad have been in the South toooo long)"

"Oh and I love how whenever someone says "Not to be Racist but....." or "No offense but..." There's always some Jack assed closed minded thing that comes outta their mouth next!"

Well, I love my sister, but I got sick of this bullshit.

"@Amity: Once again, you prove your inability to be involved in a reasonable discussion by insulting my friends, myself and our father and lose all credibility by turning this perfectly reasonbale request into exactly what I said people do; calling us hate-mongering rednecks. Maybe you should take a close look at yourelf before you judge the ... Read Moremotives of other people."

"And by the way, Amity. You are not someone to accuse anybody of being close-minded. "All Mormons are terrible hate-mongering rednecks." "All Christians are terrible hate-mongering rednecks" "Anybody who doesn't agree with me are terrible hate-mongering rednecks" "Everybody is out to get me." Frankly, this is why the rest of the family tries to ... Read Moreavoid having discussions with you. Because you turn it into a hate-filled rant and insult us. You know what, Jacob is basically a brother to me and I'm not gonna put up with you continually insulting him. Why don't you do yourself a favor and keep your ignorant mouth shut for once."

Oooh... I was mad. Mad

And my dad said something very intelligent on the subject:

"The problem with a White Pride day is that it conjures up (as Joe correctly points out) thoughts of burning crosses and skinheads. Your concept is correct, Micah. Many bigots on the left use the sins of the past to justify disparaging white men today. But since "white power" is inexorably associated with white supremacy, the connotations of the ... Read Morephrase are too negative to be considered neutral. You make an excellent point that there is no inate pride associated with any race, gender, or orientation. But to those whose condition has had an historical stigma the concept of pride is part of the healing process. Pride, in this context, is the opposite of shame - a feeling that many minorities have been expected to have in the past. I don't see any reason to be "proud" of being any race, gender or orientation, but there is some power in effectively stating "I will not be ashamed." As a race, white people do not need that."

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

so you got a gay brother who's in love with a very old man AND a lesbian sister? you're pretty tolerant I guess.

hmm... what if I had two good looking lesbian sisters... what would... Eek! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: