TerraEarth Forums

What Makes a Good Zelda Game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah. Here's some more concepts:

Code:

RESOURCE TYPES

Magic Beans - Grows food in any environment (Your FOOD Resource)

Crystal - A magical rock good for anything enchanted (YOUR "STONE" resource)

Wood - Not a whole lot you can do to change this one (Your WOOD Resource)

Rupees - Your standard money resource.

HYLIAN STRUCTURES

Market Square- Spawns Villagers.

Armory- Spawns Infanty Units.

Lon Lon Ranch-  Spawns Cavalry

Mason-  Allows the construction of towers.

Castle-  Spawns Hero Units (Link and Zelda)

Temple of Time-  (WONDER) Holds the Triforce.  Collect all three pieces and store them here for 200 days to win.

GORON STRUCTURES

Statue Garden-  Spawns Villagers

Dondogo Cavern-  Spawns Infantry Units (also provides 10 Food a day if kept at full health)

Crater Garden-  Spawns Hero Unit (Darunia)

Temple of Fire-  (WONDER) Holds Triforce... etc.

ZORAN STRUCTURES

Domain-  Spawns Villagers

Fountain-  Spawns Infantry Units

Ice Cavern- Spawns Heavy Infantry, allows building of towers.

Royal Ampitheater-  Spawns Hero Unit (Ruto)

Temple of Water- (WONDER) Holds Triforce... etc.

Just a few ideas.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Well yeah. Here's some more concepts:

Code:

RESOURCE TYPES

Magic Beans - Grows food in any environment (Your FOOD Resource)

Crystal - A magical rock good for anything enchanted (YOUR "STONE" resource)

Wood - Not a whole lot you can do to change this one (Your WOOD Resource)

Rupees - Your standard money resource.

HYLIAN STRUCTURES

Market Square- Spawns Villagers.

Armory- Spawns Infanty Units.

Lon Lon Ranch-  Spawns Cavalry

Mason-  Allows the construction of towers.

Castle-  Spawns Hero Units (Link and Zelda)

Temple of Time-  (WONDER) Holds the Triforce.  Collect all three pieces and store them here for 200 days to win.

GORON STRUCTURES

Statue Garden-  Spawns Villagers

Dondogo Cavern-  Spawns Infantry Units (also provides 10 Food a day if kept at full health)

Crater Garden-  Spawns Hero Unit (Darunia)

Temple of Fire-  (WONDER) Holds Triforce... etc.

ZORAN STRUCTURES

Domain-  Spawns Villagers

Fountain-  Spawns Infantry Units

Ice Cavern- Spawns Heavy Infantry, allows building of towers.

Royal Ampitheater-  Spawns Hero Unit (Ruto)

Temple of Water- (WONDER) Holds Triforce... etc.

Just a few ideas.

youve played a lot of age of empires ^^

id agree with everything but the hero/wonder buildings. i think the wonders should be the ones that spawn the hero units, and the ones that currently spawn the hero units should spawn higher-end units. royal guards, and something burning for goron.

there should also be a marketplace at which you can trade wood/stone for rupees. cause you cant harvest rupees. not unless someone keeps regrowing shrubs in your backyard XD

i dislike the idea of food being a harvestable resource, but thats just me. it could work. i like the idea of building farms and such to provide supply (houses in age of empires, farms in the warcraft series), but that could be a different thing altogether.

another thing that could be cool is a race of all the evil things all awround hyrule. start with trivial things like keese and moblins, and work up to fun things like those shadow creatures in twilight princess. heroes could be zant, aghanim or ganon. hero-producing building could be dark palace or something along those lines.

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A good Zelda game must have a major schtick that sets it apart from the other Zelda games. Otherwise we might as well call it a retitled rehash of a previous Zelda game. IMO LttP was the height of the series.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:

i dislike the idea of food being a harvestable resource, but thats just me. it could work. i like the idea of building farms and such to provide supply (houses in age of empires, farms in the warcraft series), but that could be a different thing altogether.

Actually you got that backwards, my friend. It was farms in AoE and Houses in Warcraft. Houses in AoE just boosted your max population.

And I had considered a Stalfo or Moblin Race, but there were a few complications, so instead I had them appear the same way Highwaymen appeared in AoE. Random enemies with no real base of operations or loyalties.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:

Actually you got that backwards, my friend. It was farms in AoE and Houses in Warcraft. Houses in AoE just boosted your max population.

And I had considered a Stalfo or Moblin Race, but there were a few complications, so instead I had them appear the same way Highwaymen appeared in AoE. Random enemies with no real base of operations or loyalties.

but unlike in age of empires, you got your food back after the units died ^^ and they did boost your max population. until warcraft 3, where there was a cap on the max units, for balance issues or whatever.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:

but unlike in age of empires, you got your food back after the units died ^^ and they did boost your max population. until warcraft 3, where there was a cap on the max units, for balance issues or whatever.

Hm... that actually seems like there is a wasted step, but I suppose it's useful.

Nurdof
Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 71,096

PostNurdof Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Zelda game of all time (even though I've only played one of the games) would be "Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past". For one thing, the game has extremely good graphics which make the previous two Zelda games look like shit.

For another reason, they added The Dark World. Defeating monsters in five dungeons without adding the other world to it would make a very short storyline and not a very good storyline since Link just has to claim the Master Sword and defeat Agahnim. For adding The Dark World, it has a much more good storyline, and even a longer storyline with the Light World added into it, as well as the dungeons having a lot more difficult puzzles than the previous ones in the Light World.

It's worth solving the puzzles in every one of the dungeons, and you know why you're accomplishing that puzzle if you focus hard on the storyline in that dungeon, if there is a storyline.

A Link to the Past, ftw.

Last edited by Nurdof on Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that the first two look like that because they're NES games, right?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Nurdof

Gems 71,096

PostNurdof Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but see, there's some games like Super Mario Bros 3 and 2 which have better graphics than the Zelda NES games.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuruh wrote:
Yeah, but see, there's some games like Super Mario Bros 3 and 2 which have better graphics than the Zelda NES games.

but i dont think either of them would be able to compete with zelda for complexity. (that being said, i havent actually played the first 2 zelda games, LttP was my first too) its a tradeoff between graphics and content. it is a NES cartridge, they are only what, 500kb? (i dont know, how big are the roms?)
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, let's put this in perspective:

The Legend of Zelda - 1986
Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1987
The Adventure of Link - 1988
Super Mario Bros. 3 - 1990

Graphics do improve over time, you know. Plus, you also have to take style into consideration. Zelda and Mario have fundamentally different artistic styles, hence the supposed difference in graphical quality.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
NoZKeY
Sent by The Master

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 5,959

PostNoZKeY Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not talk about graphics, if i love Nintendo games since i was child, is because gameplay and not graphics.

I have played just a few Zelda games, but my favorite one is ALTTP, i agree that TP is too lineal, but i think that is a problem with actual Nintendo games... they are making games too lineal and easy, comparing to old times when games were hard as hell (NES & SNES). But its still a good game.

And btw: Super Mario Bros != Zelda
I agree with tay, they are different in style and everything...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In TP, there was only one moment when I couldn't get any further.

In ALTTP for ex., there were plenty of those moments, where you struggled around for a whole day, trying EVERYTHING! you can imagine, and think about quitting the game. Just to try it again the next day and success, with a big satisfying feeling afterwards!
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade wrote:
there were plenty of those moments, where you struggled around for a whole day, trying EVERYTHING! you can imagine, and think about quitting the game. Just to try it again the next day and success, with a big satisfying feeling afterwards!

Which is why Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda.

Nurdof

Gems 71,096

PostNurdof Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Well, to be fair, let's put this in perspective:

The Legend of Zelda - 1986
Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1987
The Adventure of Link - 1988
Super Mario Bros. 3 - 1990

Graphics do improve over time, you know. Plus, you also have to take style into consideration. Zelda and Mario have fundamentally different artistic styles, hence the supposed difference in graphical quality.

Yeah, but think about making the first Zelda game in 1986; I don't think they did that bad of a job for it, but for some NES games, they could've done a better job to them. Think of games like Dragon Warrior, great storyline, but the character designs aren't that good. If people had more style, they would've possibly made it like Shining Force for the Genesis.

That being said, I personally think they could've done a better job in that regard.

Last edited by Nurdof on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: