TerraEarth Forums

Get Moments In Film That Almost Weren't
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 am   Post subject: Get Moments In Film That Almost Weren't Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Time for some randomly useless random trivia. Not a trivia game per-say, but a list of weird and strange pieces of film trivia, mainly pertaining to accidents and ad-libs. A little piece of my vast knowledge of things-no-one-cares-for.

Film Quotes:

Shelly loved the little things in life. I thought them trivial... but believe me, nothing's trivial. -The Crow

(Originally this line wasn't even in the movie. Brandon Lee ad-libbed this line, and the director liked it enough to keep it in the film. It actually became one of the more poignant lines in the film)

Welcome to primetime bitch! -Nightmare On Elm Street 3

(If you've ever seen this movie, before this line he says "This is it Jennifer- your big break in TV!" That was supposed to be the only line he says before Freddy smashes some poor unknown wannabe actress' face into a Television set. Robert Englund, aka the only REAL Freddy, decided to ad-lib this line during a take. They ended up using both in the film- and this line forever became known as Freddy's trademark line)

One you more than likely know...

"Heeerre's Johnny!" -The Shining

(Probably one of the most famous ad-libbed lines. Those of you in the younger crowd probably never heard of Johnny Carson, but he hoested the Tonight Show (Which Jay Leno took hosting duties over in 93' and ended his run this year I believe). Carson would be introduced every episode with the same line, "Here's Johnny." Makes the Shining feel a bit dated now)

Mistakes that made it into film:

Scream:

During the ending of the film, Billy (Skeet Ulrich) gets frustrated and throws a telephone, hitting Stu (Mathew Lillard) in the head with it, to which he screams "You hit me with the phone, dick!" This wasn't supposed to happen, and director Wes Craven liked the realism so much (Because it was!) that he kept it in the movie.

And another one:

Billy goes to open a closet, and Sidney (Neve Campbell), dressed in a costume, stabs him with a umbrella, twice. Skeet Ulrich was wearing a chest plate, so he could be safely stabbed with the umbrella. The first hit him direct on, but the second shot went high and into his shoulder- actually stabbing him. He screamed, turned toward the camera and fell to the floor. Director Wes Craven liked the realism of the acting (Because it wasn't acting, it was real) he kept it in the film.

(Don't know why I felt the urge to post this- hope it kept you momentarily entertained while I wasted some of your brain cells =D )
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In the movie Dumb and Dumber (yes, I've seen it... I'm so sorry...), Jim Carrey ad-libbed a short scene.

After waiting all day for his love interest at a bar, he found out from the bartender where she lived. On his way out, he passed by a framed newspaper on the wall from the '60s, with the moon landing as its headline.

Originally, he was just supposed to walk out the door after talking with the bartender, but he ad-libbed the following:

As he passed by the newspaper, he stopped, backed up and stared at it for a second. He turned around (presumably to the bartender, but he was the only one on camera) with a look of disbelief and said "No way! That's fantastic!". Then, he walked out the door and happily proclaimed "We've landed on the moon!"

The movie was made 25 years after the moon landing.

He made it up as they filmed it, and the director thought it was a great addition to the general stupidity of his character.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

something interesting about "The Crow":

bruce lees son, brandon (or jason?) lee, died during the film shooting. in a gun weren't blank ammunition but real ones. he was shot and died, the last part of the movie was finished with digital recordings of him.

Last edited by psychokind on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

bruce lee, brandon (or jason?) lee, died during the film shooting. in a gun weren't blank ammunition but real ones. he was shot and died, the last part of the movie was finished with digital recordings of him.

that was brandon lee, bruce lee's son. bruce lee died from a hemorrhage in his brain i think.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
psychokind wrote:

bruce lees son, brandon (or jason?) lee, died during the film shooting. in a gun weren't blank ammunition but real ones. he was shot and died, the last part of the movie was finished with digital recordings of him.

that was brandon lee, bruce lee's son. bruce lee died from a hemorrhage in his brain i think.

yeah, brandon. I didn't know his surename exactly anymore. and I forgot to add the word "son".
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

That's true, but not quite right.

No one knows for sure what exactly happened, but the belief is the following;

There was a "hero" shot (A close up) of one of the bad guys loading this revolver with full (But fake) bullets, closing the cylinder, thumbing back the hammer and pulling the trigger. It's believed that the hammer hitting the back of the fake bullet lodged the tip of the bullet into the barrel. Later, using the same revolver and "blanks" (Bullets with no tips- just the firing caps), the actor pointed the gun toward Brandon, fired- and it's believed the lodged bullet unlodged, and killed Brandon.

Some more trivia;

Anyone remember the film Ghostbusters?

Originally...

-John Belushi was supposed to be the star of the film. The original concept was going to be space/time traveling ghostbusters competing against other ghostbuster franchises. When it was deemed to expensive, the film was rewritten. Belushi died several months before filming, and the role of Venkman went to Bill Murray (Who incidentally received his first of his two academy award nominations for best actor- and lost it. He wouldn't get another chance until exactly twenty years later, with a little film called Lost In Translation. He, too, lost that one).

-John Candy was up for the role of Louis Tully, Dana Barret's neighbor (and Bill Murrays love interest). He did not understand the role, and went as far as to try and turn him into some strange German guy. He eventually left the project and the role went to Rick Moranis (Honey I Shrunk The Kids). The entire party sequence in the film was written by Moranis, and done in all one take, up until he throws the coat into the bedroom, landing on the terror dog.

-Eddie Murphy was supposed to play the role of Winston, which eventually went to Ernie Hudson.

-Ghostbusters was the first film ever released on USB drive.

-Get this; Lord of The Rings: Return of the King Special Edition clocks in at a total run time of four hours and twenty four minutes. Twenty two of those are the end credits alone.

-Two films, back in 1976, held casting sessions together. They both picked their lead actors, but the films directors weren't sure. So they flopped the actors between the two films. Sissy Spacek went on to play Carrie in the Stephen King book-based film Carrie. The original actress for Carrie, Carrie Fisher, and actor, Mark Hammil, went on to make a little film called Star Wars.

-The special Directors Cut of Robocop is extended by exactly one minute. I'm not kidding. A minute.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thats some nice trivia right there! Little film called Star Wars...Razz
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
-John Candy was up for the role of Louis Tully, Dana Barret's neighbor (and Bill Murrays love interest).

cough semantics cough. i read it funny, tis all.

ghostbusters was an awesome movie. cant really picture anyone other than bill murray playing venkman, he does the role so well.

and rick moranis just makes me think of a tourettes guy video i saw. RICK MORANIS? who the f**k is rick moranis?
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:
-John Candy was up for the role of Louis Tully, Dana Barret's neighbor (and Bill Murrays love interest).

cough semantics cough. i read it funny, tis all.

ghostbusters was an awesome movie. cant really picture anyone other than bill murray playing venkman, he does the role so well.

and rick moranis just makes me think of a tourettes guy video i saw. RICK MORANIS? who the f**k is rick moranis?

Have you ever seen Honey I Shrunk The Kids? He played the inventor/father of the kids.

More trivia:

-Different Seasons, one of Stephen Kings short stories books, features the following stories; The Body, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, and The Breathing Method.

The first three stories were all released as theatrical films, and all were some of the best reviewed films made of Stephen Kings works. (The Body became Stand By Me, and the "Rita Hayworth and" was dropped from the title of the Shawshank Redemption)

-Also, on Shawshank; Morgan Freeman was casted in the role of Red, the man who befriends Andy Defrense (Tim Robbins). In the story, Red is an Irishman. When asked why he was called Red (in the film), Morgan Freeman replies "Maybe it's because I'm Irish."

-Here's a weird one; anyone know Billy Dee Williams? No? He played Lando Calrissian in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I assume you now know who I'm talking about. Now go watch Tim Burton's Batman. He's in there. As who? Harvey Dent.

Originally, Batman Returns (Featuring Danny Devito and Michele Pfiefer as Penguin and Catwoman, respectively) was to feature Two-Face, played by Billy Dee Williams. That didn't end up happening, and it wasn't until 1996 when Tommy Lee Jones played Two-Face in Batman Forever that we saw a live action Two-Face.

The trivia to this, you might be asking?

Billy Dee Williams signed a contract, stating that when they did a Batman film with Two-Face as the villian, he was guranteed the role. When they decided to go in a different direction- the production company was forced to pay him out of his contact. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was in the millions, to do nothing but sit at home. Must be nice. Razz
This User Has Completed

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Freedan: About 30% of all Jim Carrey lines are ad-libbed. The man is a genius.

For instance there are two great lines in Liar Liar that are all Jim Carrey.

In one scene is is asked to give advice to the a criminal who he repeatedly defends. The line is "stop breaking the law" and he's supposed to deliver it in a somber, defeated tone.

He delivered it like this...

Also, when he beats him self up to get out of court, he is confronted by a man who asks him "What the hell are you doing?" The line was supposed to just be "I'm kicking my ass." But he added "Do ya mind?!"

---

Perhaps two of the best pieces of motion picture trivia SBF didn't even touch on.

First of all, in the Ben Hur a stunt actor actually died in the Chariot racing scene! However his wife felt that the best way to honor him was to keep the shot in the film, so when you watch that movie you are actually seeing someone bite the big bazooka. Cheery thought, eh? Eek!

Secondly, the Jimmy Stuart masterpiece It's a Wonderful Life features one scene which revolutionized editing technique. He does one scene where he is crying on a bridge so perfectly, the director says: "He'll never be able to repeat that as good as he did." The problem was they didn't zoom in the way he wanted, so what he had them do was actually physically "clip" the individual frames to expand on Jimmy Stuart's face. That scene was zoomed in artificially!!

Speaking of Wonderful Life, there is a scene where a drunk old man is leaving a party. You hear a crash and he shouts back "I'm all right! I'm allllll right!" What you don't see is him (off-camera) knocking over a pile of film canisters and set pieces. He ad-libbed the shot and the director loved it so much that he kept it in.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of one myself that I saw on imdb, I think it was. Very Happy

In the movie [i]Run Fatboy, Run[/url] there's a scene where Simon Pegg's character is talking to Hank Azaria's character in a locker room, and Azaria's character comes out in the nude. Pegg's reaction to seeing Azaria completely in the buff? Is all real. They didn't tell Pegg beforehand that Azaria would, essentially, be freeballing the shot to get an actual reaction to it, and not one that was part of the act. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more stuff I've come across:

Rocky:

-There's a scene where Adrian and Rocky are in an ice rink together, and they take a tumble. When they stand up, Rocky's pinky finger looks like it's broken- it's bent in the wrong direction. This was somethinf Stallone added in the script (As he's the creator/writer of the film), because as a child he broke his finger. It never set right, so he could bend it in an odd way.

-Also, the scenes of him punching meat in the film were really shot in a slaughterhouse, and he used real meat. He hit it so many times for the film, he actually flattened out the knuckles on both of his hands.

Return of the Jedi:

-Originally, George Lucas announced that the "Final" Star Wars film would be named "Revenge of the Jedi." This was apparently a ploy for people who were making bootleg toys, so they could tell the difference between the real one's and the fake ones, and could properly bring these people to justice. His response was "Anyone who knows the lore of Star Wars would know a Jedi never has need for revenge."

-There's a scene were Han Solo remarks about the Millenium Falcon, and he's got a weird feeling he may never see it again. In the original draft of the script, Lando and the Falcon were destroyed while taking out the Second Death Star.

And odd one, but since I'm from Jersey;

Clerks-

Kevin Smith didn't know how to end the film. So, in the very first cut of the film, he has Dante get robbed, shot, and killed. This ending is available on the first DVD release as a bonus feature and is in the First Cut on the Clerks X DVD. The ending was removed upon the films aquisiton by Mirimax, stating it was too much of a down ending. (Funny side note- during the discussion of which Star Wars film was better- Dante states that "Han's frozen in carbonite, Luke loses his hand, you find out Darth Vader is his father. Life is a series of down endings," refering to the end of Empire Strikes Back)
This User Has Completed

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, man. Where do you pick these things up?

BTW: Clerks is like the funniest movie ever.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Wow, man. Where do you pick these things up?

BTW: Clerks is like the funniest movie ever.

There was a time I didn't care too much for school, and all I would do is look up film facts. My brain is so riddled with them that I'm pretty sure it erased my knowledge of Algebra, Italian, History (Was it WWII or WWIII that Stalin was involved in?) and creative writing. Razz

Here's a few gross ones;

Texas Chainsaw Massacre:

-There's a scene where a girl is tied to a chair, and they cut her finger for a dramatic effect. The appliance they used wasn't working, so they had to legitimately cut her finger in the scene.

-In the finale of the film, the lead girl runs out into a road, and gets picked up by a passing motorist. She is covered in blood. Apparently she had ran through a rose bush and got pretty cut up, and there was more real blood on her than fake.

Jason Goes To Hell:

In the opening scenes, a woman runs from Jason in nothing but a bath towel. (What else is new in these films?) The actress was a stunt-woman, and this was her first acting gig. As such, she didn't realize that while she was running through the woods, she gashed open her foot, and needed stitches.

Army of Darkness:

During an action scene, Bruce Campbell cut his face on a chest plate of one of the other actors, and received immediate emergency plastic surgery. In so, when he went into the office to see the doctors, he wore so many fake wounds, the doctor had to actually ask him which one was real.
This User Has Completed

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

some of you might know it (raini for sure): Ghost in the Shell -> Matrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1jAhH6luY&fmt=18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: