TerraEarth Forums

12/21/2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm   Post subject: 12/21/2012 Reply with quote

Supposedly the day we all die. The day the sun aligns with the center of our galaxy, causing disasters globaly on Earth via the Apocolypse/Armageddon/whatever. This is according to several ancient calenders such as the Mayan and Jewish, as they all end on that day.

http://www.adishakti.org/mayan_end_times_prophecy_12-21-2012.htm has some info on that.

So. Will the winter equinox three and a half years from now be our last, is the alignment actually on a different day, or is it all fake? If it does happen, what will become of all of us? Confused

Lastly, should a topic like this be on another forum? Like Spam Central or something?
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be great if I could believe this. only 3 years left? fuck school, fuck university, fuck work Laughing

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Y2K supposed to bring technological ruin? And then it didn't so much as burn out a light bulb?

This is that.

When we don't all perish on Dec. 21 three years from now, I'll still have to get up and go to work.

thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another end of the world theory as far as I'm concerned. And If I'm wrong well then hey, guess we're all just SOL

-The Fence Master
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's fine here. Very Happy

That said, I'm not sure if I believe it. I mean, if we DO have that many years before the inevitable, it really sucks.

But, on the other hand, it might just be the transition into the next Age (we could either be in the Age of Pisces or Age of Aquarius at the moment, it's uncertain. Either way, the next age will either be Aquarius or Capricorn) or... just like the Y2K scare.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... theres a movie about this, isnt there? should see that before we decide how to act Razz

but yeah, i dont think its actually going to happen. so what if the sun aligns with the center of the galaxy? its been aligning with other stuff throughout all of existence, and i dont think there have been any planet-shattering events anytime in the past.

the point about y2k was made before, and it was supposed to ruin computers and technology in general. then someone high up the ranks figured out that 2 follows 1, and that computers could handle more than 2 bytes of data with regard to the year they store. just a side note on that, using the DD/MM/YYYY format results in 8 digits, and 8 is an overall nicer number that 7 or 6. what with it being a power of 2 and all we might be in some serious shit when it comes to year 10000 though

//i end my serious discussion here

although if there was an apocalypse in the traditional sense, meeting the four horsemen could prove amusing.
or if its in the sense of some games, itd be quite interesting to see if you actually level up after grabbing a bladed weapon and going out to mass-kill ghouls or zombies or whatever spawns.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

our friends washer died because of Y2K Very Happy
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Age of Aquarius. And yeah, this is supposed to be the transition.

However, many Christian scholars believe this to be the beginning of "Christ's Kingdom" in which there is a seven(-ish) year period of natural disasters and world turmoil before Christ's second coming where the world is "cleansed" and all that is left is his chosen people (ie Christians and Jews).

...or something like that. The problem with biblical prophecy is that it is nearly impossible to tell what is literal and what is symbolic.

So I'm in wait-and-see mode.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I choose to believe that all human life will end the day before the last Harry Potter movie comes out... which at this rate 12-21-2012 might be an accurate guess. Laughing

But no. Only the Almighty knows when the world will end, and it's not on a set timer. There are certain signs that according to him must be fulfilled before the end of the world, but there is no guarantee when those will happen, because of human's free agency. Still God knows what will bring about the end of the world, and no human has ever been given a an accurate date.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we humans are capable enough to destroy the earth ourselves, even without the almighty^^
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And who gave us the ability to do that? Can't escape God. He's got his hand in everything. Even free will is a gift that he gave us, and can take away. Not that he would (at least I don't think he would) but just be aware of that.

I wanna avoid religious discussion, so I'll drop out of this now.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
And who gave us the ability to do that? Can't escape God. He's got his hand in everything. Even free will is a gift that he gave us, and can take away. Not that he would (at least I don't think he would) but just be aware of that.

I wanna avoid religious discussion, so I'll drop out of this now.

no jason, you're pretty right. damn good argument. it's propably right, we humans think that if we destroy the earth, we destroy god. but as you stated, if he's almighty, why should he care about the fucking earth?

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Even free will is a gift that he gave us, and can take away. Not that he would (at least I don't think he would)

Of course he wouldn't. Do you have any idea how many times "free will" has pulled God's ass out of the fire when something goes wrong?

Something terrible happens, it's our fault, because we caused it with our free will. And he gets no blame for it. He's a smart guy that way.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
It's the Age of Aquarius. And yeah, this is supposed to be the transition.

However, many Christian scholars believe this to be the beginning of "Christ's Kingdom" in which there is a seven(-ish) year period of natural disasters and world turmoil before Christ's second coming where the world is "cleansed" and all that is left is his chosen people (ie Christians and Jews).

...or something like that. The problem with biblical prophecy is that it is nearly impossible to tell what is literal and what is symbolic.

So I'm in wait-and-see mode.

It being the Age of Aquarius is sort of up in the air, though it is assumed that it is (I got that off of wikipedia last night, so I'm not too sure how accurate that is.)

However, I think if the whole Book of Revelations thing starts happening on 12/21/12, I'll off myself. There is no way I'm living through all of that, ugh.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Frankly I choose to believe that all human life will end the day before the last Harry Potter movie comes out... which at this rate 12-21-2012 might be an accurate guess. Laughing

with my luck, yes. Mad

i read something on wikipedia, it didnt actually say anything about the end of the world as such. either the beginning of a new age, or just the end of the mayan calendar. whether it signifies anything specific is a different matter, though

there was something also interesting about 'novelty theory' or some 'timewave zero', where apparently everything conceivable will happen at once. complexity of the world and all. that last one kinda reminds me of time compression, so prepare for some sorceresses Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: