TerraEarth Forums

Harry Potter Vs. Twilight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which series is better?
Harry Potter (JK Rowling)
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
Twilight (Stephenie Meyer)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I like them both equally.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I like neither.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 12

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no interest in reading Twilight, so I don't care one way or the other. It's a love triangle between a human girl, a werewolf and a vampire (who apparently sparkles?) That right there is enough to keep me from so much as cracking the spine (except perhaps of the author of the book.)

Rest in peace, old avatar.
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say Harry Potter because I actually read that series. I don't care enough to bother reading the twilight series.

-The Fence Master
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
I have no interest in reading Twilight, so I don't care one way or the other. It's a love triangle between a human girl, a werewolf and a vampire (who apparently sparkles?) That right there is enough to keep me from so much as cracking the spine (except perhaps of the author of the book.)

Yep. I think the exact words from the book is that Edward's "Marble-like skin glistened and sparkled in the sun" or some such. It was close to that, at least.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality storyline element. Laughing

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a ton of thesaurus abuse, from what I've seen. It's bad enough in roleplay, I don't need it in books I read. :/ Twilight is akin to reading someone's opening post on a message board/journal roleplay/chat room that goes like this (and oh dear god I'm going to cry writing this, because this is the most painful thing ever to read, let alone write: )

"If anyone said anything about this one, it was that she was the most ambrosial woman they had ever laid their orbs upon. A long glebe of auriferous strands fell down her lithe back, and when she seemed to glide over the terra firma that her feet seemed to grace, the fields of auriferous wheat seemed to glimmer and glow no matter how she moved.

Pools of emerald explored every corner and shadow as the woman moved into the darker corner of the bar, inspecting every minute detail that the old wood had. These same pools of emerald were the type that men said they could get lost in, perhaps even drown the more they lost themselves.

But her most defining attribute was her milky, pale epidermis. It looked as soft as fleece, and those who touched it felt as if they had soared the the heavens--"

ok yeah I can't write shit like that. It's way too painful. All that just to say "A pretty lady walked into the bar and looked around as she went to sit down in a corner." Just. UGH.

I'm sorry Thesaurus, please forgive me for the abuse. Sad I like using you for real purposes, and not shitty purple prose!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me of the Friends episode where Joe writes a letter and uses a Thesaurus on every word.

The sentence "they are big-hearted people" became "they are large-sized aortic-pump primates" and he signed his name (Joey Tribianni) "Baby Kangaroo Tribianni".

And what's with the "said" nazis? If I want to use "said" it's a hell of a lot better than "ejaculated!" Very Happy

Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the author of the Twilight books get the inspiration from a dream about Edward she had? So the whole thing is just her wish fulfillment whack fantasy? Well, that and a laughably veiled abstinence story. "Saga"? Please. If you don't mind going to ED their page on the whole thing is pretty lulzy.
The Moar you know. http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Twilight
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ratty, you should post more often. Very Happy

That was fun. ED is pretty damned awesome.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't have it on the ED page: the end of Twilight involves Bella getting knocked up by Edward before she can be turned into a vampire, the baby growing at a ridiculous speed (and I mean full growth in like, three days or something) and then the baby shattering her spine getting out. Edward has to eat through Bella's stomach and womb to get the baby out. He then turns Bella into a vampire so she can live again.

And then baby gets the most whacked out name since Albus Severus: Renesmee.

Just. What the hell, Meyers.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
If they don't have it on the ED page: the end of Twilight involves Bella getting knocked up by Edward before she can be turned into a vampire, the baby growing at a ridiculous speed (and I mean full growth in like, three days or something) and then the baby shattering her spine getting out. Edward has to eat through Bella's stomach and womb to get the baby out. He then turns Bella into a vampire so she can live again.

And then baby gets the most whacked out name since Albus Severus: Renesmee.

Just. What the hell, Meyers.

thats one minor detail i didnt know about the plot. all the less reason to read it, thats messed up. its not 'aww how adorable' in a romantic way (not that i react like that anyway), its just... wtf.

and as for renesmee, i also thought that someone had really no creativity and just stuck 2 names together. creating something that just does not work
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What. The. Fuck.

First off, I read that little paragraph up there. Is that really how Twilight is written? I haven't read anything that disgustingly putrid since William Faulkner or Shakespeare. (sorry to any William fans out there) I mean, holy crap-face Batman, WTF? As a writer, I adore my thesaurus, but do you know why God looked down from the heavens to grace us with this wonderful natural resource? To keep writers from having to use the same word multiple times within (the same sentence)>(a single sentence).

C WAT I DID THER? Mad writing skillz I hav. Very Happy

Also, a second WHAT. THE. FUCK.

That is really how Twilight ends? Seriously? And people choose to read this?

You know how Harry Potter ends? (don't worry, no big spoiler) Harry pretty much spends several pages making fun of Voldemort to his face. Which was awesome, I might add. And much better than eating a baby out of a womb.

Okay. I'm officially gonna go throw up now. Yuck

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What also makes the series stupid is that the gigantic battle, the only thing that was almost cool, didn't happen just because a kid pops out of the forest and tells the bad guys a story. Then the bad guys turn around and go back home.

*twitch*

NO ACTION!! >(
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sora-mage wrote:
What also makes the series stupid is that the gigantic battle, the only thing that was almost cool, didn't happen just because a kid pops out of the forest and tells the bad guys a story. Then the bad guys turn around and go back home.

*twitch*

NO ACTION!! >(

... wow, and to think i know people who are unhealthily obsessed with twilight. yes, more than one person, and they are like 20 years old. sad, isnt it
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@EP (and tay, by proxy): Yeah, essentially. After Bella is OMGSAVED by Edward and made into a vampire, they get married. Jacob (the werewolf character) gets pinged that Renesmee is his ~*~SOULMATE~*~ after she's born, and because she's a vampire kid, she'll grow up and be fully mature in like. 3 days.

It's quality writing, let me tell you. And yeah, Renesmee is the mesh of Bella and Edward's mother's names (Renee and... whatever the other name is) This sort of writing is OHHOWROMANTIC and I really don't see how. Nor do I see how this book is so popular with the older crowd.

@tay: Yeah, that's how it's really written. Straight from the book when she sees Edward:

"Edward in the sunlight was shocking. I couldn't get used to it, though I'd been staring at him all afternoon. His skin, white despite the faint flush from yesterday's hunting trip, literally sparkled, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface. He lay perfectly still in the grass, his shirt open over his sculpted, incandescent chest, his scintillating arms bare. His glistening, pale lavender lids were shut, though of course he didn't sleep. A perfect statue, carved in some unknown stone, smooth like marble, glittering like crystal." That's just ONE EXCERPT from the book, too.

@sora-mage: SO I HEARD. I guess she can't have two guys duking it out and being cool, oh no. Neutral

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

and im sure this is all written in the same consistent style. having only read 2/3 of the first book, i couldnt really say, but id assume its still spending the majority of the text explaining what bella is thinking and how much she wants edward. not really the kind of thing id like to read in my spare time. hence me never finishing the first book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: