TerraEarth Forums

Old Enough To Die, Old Enough To Drink?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:44 am   Post subject: Old Enough To Die, Old Enough To Drink? Reply with quote

I had this conversation earlier with some people, so I thought I'd bring it here;

In America, you can join the Army at age 18, 17 if you're out of high school. You are not legally able to purchase or consume alcohol until the age of 21.

Someone said that "Kids are too stupid at 18, that's why they shouldn't be allowed alcohol, and that's why they go into the services."

While I don't necessarily agree with that statement, it does bring up an interesting point;

If you're old enough to kill (And die) for your country, should you not also be old enough to purchase alcohol?

Discuss.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Dropkick Murphy's on this subject:

"Every working man should have the right to come home and have a cold beer to relax."

I'd say, make it one flat line for everything an be done with it. Don't hold a double-standard. Besides which cigarettes are FAR more dangerous that alcohol, so why are we withholding it from young-ish people. Will they really be that much more mature in three years?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding on the matter is that it was more of a brain developing issue than a maturity issue. Not entirely sure about that but I thats just what I remember from I think it was a psychology class.

-The Fence Master
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Who are you gonna trust? Experts? Pfft. Laughing

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thefencemaster wrote:
My understanding on the matter is that it was more of a brain developing issue than a maturity issue. Not entirely sure about that but I thats just what I remember from I think it was a psychology class.

Brain development is slowing at the age of 17-18, and it stops somewhere in the mid 20's, if I remember anything from psychology. So with that argument, even with the legal drinking age at 21, we're still messing with our minds and their growth. :/

My own thoughts on the matter: I don't know why the government hasn't lowered it. Kids will still drink illegally, no matter what the government does to try and stop it, and they're technically adults at 18. That's what society says. So, if they're adults and they're "mature and responsible adults" that can buy cigarettes, why not alcohol too? If the government is THAT worried about the underage drinking, and they lower the age? Make a cap on it: for 19-21, those who are between the ages of 19 and 21 can only buy so much alcohol (so they can't binge drink and be stupid). Yes, there are loopholes in that, but there are also loopholes in the system we have now (such as 21 and over friends buying you booze) so we can't win ANYWAY.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Iono about the other states, but in Virginia, cops won't mess with underage kids drinking in their own homes. I know cause the cops came to my place and saw a whole lotta liquor and didn't say anything to the two underage roomates I have. Their exact words?

"It's your house, so I'm not gonna bother with it."

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

beer at 16 in germany, that's ok I think. we normally start from 13-15, which is also alright. it's not about the age! in earlier times, on the farms of my grandparents, people started drinking at the age of 7. you had the choice after field work: cider or water. and cider is sweet Smile

important is HOW MUCH you drink, not when you start.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Course two shots of vodka will do very different things to a seven year old and a seventeen year old. Eek!

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Course two shots of vodka will do very different things to a seven year old and a seventeen year old. Eek!

Quote:
important is HOW MUCH you drink, not when you start.

The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. I was agreeing with you. Laughing

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, sorry Very Happy
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've (sadly) been around a young one (like 12) when I was drunk at the party last week. All I remember was him continually trying to push me back in the pool. I was so drunk I apparently got really pissed and tried to snatch him from inside the pool like an aggitated crocodile (of course my reflexes were shot, so I kept missing).

And even more sad I've seen that kid drunk... but he usually gets really wound up for about 15 minutes and then falls asleep.

[Edit: I just want to clarify that neither of these were my idea or of my own valition, I just happened to be there at the time... he's one of my close friends's younger brother.]

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought the minimum drinking age made no sense.

You're considered an adult in every other way. Hell, you can even vote for who will lead your country for the next 4 years. But beer? Not until you're old enough.

Makes no sense to me.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And the funny thing about that is if you picked a loser, you won't be able to drink about it for another 3 years. Laughing

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
And the funny thing about that is if you picked a loser, you won't be able to drink about it for another 3 years. Laughing

harsh country, isnt it?

i think australia has the right idea, 18 is the age for everything except driving, which is at 16.

so soon as youre old enough to vote, sign up for the army, youre also legal to pollute your body with either cigarettes or alcohol. or both.

funny that 18 is the age at which you can also be prosecuted to the full extent of our stupid legal system. but the reason why i think its stupid isnt related to this debate, so next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: