TerraEarth Forums

Okay, A Religious Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) are...
a Christian church.
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
NOT a Christian church.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 pm   Post subject: Okay, A Religious Question Reply with quote

I'm breaking my own rule here, but I'm curious to get your opinions on this.

As you people may, or may not, know, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (aka the Mormon faith).

What bothers me and many "Mormons" is that people take the Mormon name instead of the actual name of our church and claim that we are not a Christian faith.

We believe in the same Jesus Christ you all believe. We believe that Jesus is the redeemer of mankind and the Savior. We believe he is the son of God. So I'm curious what you all believe about my faith. I've heard it all, so don't be afraid to voice your opinions, just please try to be mature in your approach.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is that you, as a mormon, believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ and follow the guidelines he set forth in the New Testament? You are claiming to have accepted him as your only true savior?

Then yes. If that is so, then you are a Christian. Slap any label you want on it, but if you follow the New Testament and accept Jesus as your savior you are a Christian, end of discussion.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a bit about the Mormon faith (sorry to use 'Mormon', it's just easier than the long name), and yes, it's all there. God, Jesus, Christianity, the Bible... all present and accounted for.

I think most people hear 'Mormon' (and aren't aware of the full name of the church), and just associate it with Joseph Smith. They think of him, know he wrote the book of Mormon, and figure that maybe it's just a religion about him. Meh/Worried

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair argument (although to be technical we believe that he translated the Book of Mormon, but for all intents and purposes it is a fair description).

Also, LDS or Latter Day Saints are preferable terms to Mormon, but I'm not gonna get bent out of shape if you call me Mormon.

@tay: The "Mormon" Church believes the following (these are the 13 Articles of Faith, a summary of what we believe):

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3.We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4.We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5.We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6.We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7.We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8.We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9.We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10.We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11.We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12.We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13.We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't see anything that contradicts basic Christian teachings.

Mostly, it's just a form of interpretation regarding God's Word. Just like any other denomination. So yeah, Mormon=Christian.

Personally, I like to stay out of the whole "denomination" thing. I feel that by restricting yourself to a singular interpretation, you limit the information you could take in and potentially learn from. And I'm all about mental growth.

Plus, I feel that for many people, its easy to get distracted from what it means to actually be a Christian when you focus on whether your Baptist, Mormon, Catholic, etc.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a real problem with those who are LDS. My best friend and her family? LDS. The things I don't really like about the denomination of the faith is that if you don't agree with some of the teachings, or decide to leave the faith that you're disowned by your family. That isn't what God wants, why would you do it? I've never understood that, and never did find it right.

Though I do find it a little funny that for all the rules set in place get broken a lot. Very Happy I saw that first hand, even when I was younger at the dances I went to with my friend.

I've never really liked thinking that those who are LDS aren't going to heaven or whatnot though. Your God is the same as mine, and you have a lot of the same beliefs. Why wouldn't you be going?

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

my view on this is fairly simple.

if you believe in Jesus Christ and the New Testament, then you are a Christian. any slight variations on anything are a matter of preference, if the core is there then that is that.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
I've never had a real problem with those who are LDS. My best friend and her family? LDS. The things I don't really like about the denomination of the faith is that if you don't agree with some of the teachings, or decide to leave the faith that you're disowned by your family.

Um, I drink, my sister is a lesbian and my brother is gay. None of them have been disowned.

You have to understand, even amongst Mormons there is a sort of running joke. There are the "Utah Mormons" who are the super fundamentalist crazies who don't drink cola, won't eat chocolate, are basically vegetarians and will disown their kids if they dare to have a mind of their own.

The rest of us "Mormons" are the chillaxed people who believe that what matters most is focusing on the similarities to other Christian churches and trying to live our best on an individual level rather than shove our beliefs down everyone elses throats.

My belief about religion has always basically been "mind your own business". I'm not against missionary work, I just think we shouldn't exclude others from our lives who have different opinions.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
My belief about religion has always basically been "mind your own business". I'm not against missionary work, I just think we shouldn't exclude others from our lives who have different opinions.

Incidentally, that's why I have so few Christian friends.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What, all the Christians you know get bent out of shape about you being non-denominational?

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an issue, really. I just hate how narrow-minded most Christians I've met have been.

Thankfully, the family and friends I do have that are Christian have their hearts in the right place.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
rainichan wrote:
I've never had a real problem with those who are LDS. My best friend and her family? LDS. The things I don't really like about the denomination of the faith is that if you don't agree with some of the teachings, or decide to leave the faith that you're disowned by your family.

Um, I drink, my sister is a lesbian and my brother is gay. None of them have been disowned.

I don't quite mean that. You can be gay and still believe in God. I mean the type that you mentioned, the Utah Mormons who, if you dare to question the faith or you decide that it's a load of bollocks and leave to be Catholic or just leave the religion, BAM, disowned. It happened to my friend's family, actually. :\ I find that a load of bull. Though, there are a TON of the chillax LDS's out there. And they're all amazing.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one thing I am certain of, it's God didn't want his children to be arguing over who has the better religion.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This. This so much. Which is why I don't understand I guess the really super hardcore, well, what I guess you would call the Utah Mormons, disowning people for questioning things, or leaving the church to go to a different denomination, so to speak. :/

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. And please don't think THAT is the norm. About 90% of Mormons AREN'T like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: