TerraEarth Forums

The Mother of All Debates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the all-time console king?
Nintendo
100%
 100%  [ 9 ]
Sony
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Microsoft
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sega
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:05 pm   Post subject: The Mother of All Debates Reply with quote

Yes, it's time for the ultimate debate we have as gamers... the console wars. Pick a side, and fight to the death!

I actually can't choose a side really, because I like all the games so much, but if I was pressed I'd say Nintendo wins the day because they have the best ratio of good games to bad games of any market, however in the current generation XBOX360 is king (The Wii can go do unforgivable things to that stupid little wii sensor... Mad )

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotta give it to Nintendo.

Sony had the highest-selling individual console with the PS2, but Nintendo revived the industry in the '80s pretty much single-handed.

I could go in to the various pros and cons of every company (and I just might) later, but I'm short on time.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:49 pm   Post subject: Re: The Mother of All Debates Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Yes, it's time for the ultimate debate we have as gamers... the console wars. Pick a side, and fight to the death!

I actually can't choose a side really, because I like all the games so much, but if I was pressed I'd say Nintendo wins the day because they have the best ratio of good games to bad games of any market, however in the current generation XBOX360 is king (The Wii can go do unforgivable things to that stupid little wii sensor... Mad )

Nintendo.

Simply put, their the only one's with balls to try something new, make it family oriented, since gaming now essestially is for more adult and hardcore gamers. They also decided to work against it and, not trying to make a powerful system, but a fun system to play.

Also, as Freedan said, they revived the American gaming market in 85', released probably one of the best systems of all time, the SNES. Let's not forget about the wonderful N64, and of course, the fifteen million incarnations of Gameboy.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Nintendo FTW! Very Happy

....That is all I really have to say on the matter. Smile
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

was there ever an argument there? it has to be nintendo.

they own mario.
they own zelda.
they own metroid.
they own pokemon.

also, arguably the best games ever were on the snes. not to mention the awesome sub-category of some of the best RPGs ever.

they had the first final fantasy games.

they have SUPER SMASH BROS

if anyone has any leftover doubts: Soulblazer Trilogy.

game, set and match. despite the unanimous vote as is, ... well, nintendo wins
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall?

Nintendo.

No contest.

The exclusive content alone is enough reason to say so, even if the N64 and GCN didn't fare so well against the competition. (If it weren't for the Wii's sales I'd say the same of it)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo sucks now with the endless rehashes and the unnecessary merchandizing, but when you consider that Sony, with its fragile PS2s and expensive PS3s, Sega being fucktards and blowing themselves out of the console making business and Microsoft fostering a generation of fratboy scum and prepubescent brats with their XBOXes, I guess Ninty has to be the lesser of 4 evils.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
Nintendo sucks now with the endless rehashes and the unnecessary merchandizing, but when you consider that Sony, with its fragile PS2s and expensive PS3s, Sega being fucktards and blowing themselves out of the console making business and Microsoft fostering a generation of fratboy scum and prepubescent brats with their XBOXes, I guess Ninty has to be the lesser of 4 evils.

Xbox has some good games on it, but damn do I hate all the LOL CALL OF DUTY/HALO bullshit I hear. The Xbox DOES have other games other than Halo, thanks. Infinite Undiscovery is amazing, I really like Star Ocean 4, and when I get unlazy and pop in Last Remnant and Eternal Sonata, I'll love those too. Neutral

But I do agree about the expensive as hell PS3. Ugh. I couldn't afford it if I tried. However, I do still have my PS2, and it still works just as it did when I got it some 7 years ago (when FFX came out, and it STILL WORKS. I know a lot of people who got one around the same time and had to get a second or third) save for it not running PS1 games anymore. ...but that's why I still have my PS1 and refuse to get a PS3. Very Happy It won't run my PS1 games.

My Nintendo systems have the most playtime on them all, though. I wish Sega would get back into the console making, though. Sad Their consoles were amazing.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainichan wrote:

Eternal Sonata

Cool Guy

My friend bought that game and he says its one of the best JRPGs he's ever played. It looks so freaking cool, and the Tactical Time battle system is genius! Plus a fairly unique concept.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm... All PS3 consoles play PSX games. It's the PS2 games that the new ones don't play. And Sony just filed a patent for an emulated Emotion Engine, so we may be seeing a download sometime in the next year or so that allows for full PS2 backward compatibility.

Plus if rumor serves, there's going to be a price drop and a new slim model PS3 this autumn.

[quote=Valerie Valens]Nintendo sucks now with the unnecessary merchandising[/quote]

That doesn't count. They've been doing that since 1988. Possibly earlier. They did start out as a toy company after all.

And yeah, the whole "Jock-Box" image the original Xbox (and 360 to an extent) has is rather annoying, but I gotta say if it weren't for Microsoft, all the good online games would still be PC exclusive. They showed how to properly do console online play. Granted Nintendo still can't get it right...

And I honestly never really cared for the Sega consoles. The Dreamcast had a lot of features that the PS2 should've had, but as with the Saturn it wasn't marketed well. (and the controller sucked, sadly) There were some Genesis games I liked, but not much beyond Sonic and Ristar. (which I have on GameCube Razz )

This is the way I see it:

Nintendo = King of Multiplayer/User-Friendly

Sony = King of Single Player/Diverse Library

Microsoft = King of Online

I don't know, lol. That's just kinda how I see it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

nintendo!

you never had to buy a console to play important games, since they were also accessable to the PC, but nintendo was clever. if you wanted to play zelda, you had to buy one Very Happy
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Rainichan wrote:

Eternal Sonata

Cool Guy

My friend bought that game and he says its one of the best JRPGs he's ever played. It looks so freaking cool, and the Tactical Time battle system is genius! Plus a fairly unique concept.

I was a tad disappointed with that one. The battle system was awesome, but the game felt so linear. I couldn't play it for very long because of it.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
Rainichan wrote:

Eternal Sonata

Cool Guy

I was a tad disappointed with that one. The battle system was awesome, but the game felt so linear. I couldn't play it for very long because of it.

Yeah, but then most RPGs are. Of course you and I know that is one area in which games such as Zelda are excellent!

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Yeah, but then most Namco Bandai RPGs are. Of course you and I know that is one area in which games such as the original NES Zelda are excellent!

There. I feel better about this now. Razz

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:
Rainichan wrote:

Eternal Sonata

Cool Guy

linear doesnt always mean bad. take grandia 2. its very linear - theres a few minigames here and there, but otherwise its just the one plot. dungeons arent hard, you just follow the path.

it also has an awesome battle system, somehow making controlling up to 4 characters in combat seem real-time (and not anything like the epic failure of a combat system that was secret of mana)

but the best part of this game? the story. you dont even notice that the dungeons lead you to follow just the one path, because this game isnt about puzzles, switch sequences or mazes.

i guess it is each to their own, but i dont really feel at a loss if the rpg im playing is linear. i dont play rpgs for their mind-breaking puzzles (i tend to just faq it when i get bored anyway)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: