TerraEarth Forums

The Mother of All Debates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the all-time console king?
Nintendo
100%
 100%  [ 9 ]
Sony
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Microsoft
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sega
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It normally wouldn't bother me, but for some reason with this game it did. I felt a little constricted not having a world map to roam.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Ummmm... All PS3 consoles play PSX games. It's the PS2 games that the new ones don't play. And Sony just filed a patent for an emulated Emotion Engine, so we may be seeing a download sometime in the next year or so that allows for full PS2 backward compatibility.

Plus if rumor serves, there's going to be a price drop and a new slim model PS3 this autumn.

My mistake. I knew it didn't play one of them. Though, you'd think that the PS3 models now would play PS2 games with no problems seeing as how it was the predecessor to the PS3, and not play the PS1 games all that well. :/ Good move there, Sony!

...and oh lol, the price drop will be from $599 to $598 :/ I really can't justify myself buying a PS3 anytime in the near future, unless they go down in price to where the 360 is for the arcade version.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A $200 PS3?

Well, maybe someday...

The main thing about PS2 games though, is that they require a specific type of engine (Emotion Engine) to play. PSX games are just CDs with video files, so at worst they may just have video flicker during cutscenes (like some of them did when played on PS2s. running the discs at faster speeds sometimes fixed it, though) The reason they took the Emotion Engine out of the old PS3s was due to the amount of money it was costing, and people were begging for a price drop. Since they were having problems with it anyway (try playing FFXII on a 1st Gen PS3 before the update. cutscenes were patchy) they decided it was best to just drop it to lower the price.

Here's hoping they're able to emulate the hardware through software downloads, though!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
A $200 PS3?

Well, maybe someday...

The main thing about PS2 games though, is that they require a specific type of engine (Emotion Engine) to play. PSX games are just CDs with video files, so at worst they may just have video flicker during cutscenes (like some of them did when played on PS2s. running the discs at faster speeds sometimes fixed it, though) The reason they took the Emotion Engine out of the old PS3s was due to the amount of money it was costing, and people were begging for a price drop. Since they were having problems with it anyway (try playing FFXII on a 1st Gen PS3 before the update. cutscenes were patchy) they decided it was best to just drop it to lower the price.

Here's hoping they're able to emulate the hardware through software downloads, though!

Ahh, people bitching that a PS3 is too expensive, but then more bitching that they can't play their PS2 games because one of the things making the console expensive was dropped. Gotta love us gamers. XD That's why I kept my PS1 around, anyway: my PS2 doesn't really run them well anymore, and if I wanna keep playing them, have to have my PS1. Smile

Of course, there's nothing really on the PS3 at the moment, save for one game, that I really want, and so all a PS3 would be is a paperweight until something really good came out that would justify me dropping $500+ on one. Not even using it as a blu-ray dvd player justifies that, since I don't have the necessary tv to use anyway. :/

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Ratty Randnums
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 2,115

PostRatty Randnums Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Of course, there's nothing really on the PS3 at the moment, save for one game, that I really want, and so all a PS3 would be is a paperweight until something really good came out that would justify me dropping $500+ on one. Not even using it as a blu-ray dvd player justifies that, since I don't have the necessary tv to use anyway. :/

Tell me about it, it'll be years and probably even another console generation before I get to play Sly Cooper 4! But other than that the PS3 has el zilcho that I'm really interested in playing, as do the 360 and Wii actually.

Also I saw on an amazon review when considering the purchase that "Final Fantasy: Origins" is not completely compatible with the PS3. According to the reviewer the game crashes a little over halfway through FFII and can't be played beyond that point on a PS3. (though FF1 worked alright and the reviewer said they both worked fine on a PS2 -IIRC)
So apparently at least *some* PSX games do have issues playing on a PS3.

Also-
Nintendo, I still play the NES, need to get more games for the SNES.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood people's intense need for the PS3 to play PS2 games.

If you want to play PS2 games, hook up your PS2. How long could it take to swap systems? A minute? Maybe 2, accounting for tangled cords. Do people not have that kind of time?

I've heard people complain about space restrictions, too. Unless you're living in a broom closet, I can't see it posing much of a problem.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
I've never understood people's intense need for the PS3 to play PS2 games.

If you want to play PS2 games, hook up your PS2. How long could it take to swap systems? A minute? Maybe 2, accounting for tangled cords. Do people not have that kind of time?

I've heard people complain about space restrictions, too. Unless you're living in a broom closet, I can't see it posing much of a problem.

gamers are generally too lazy/impatient to switch consoles, they like to just stick in a disc and play it straight away. thats why the wii plays cube games ^^
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could be like me and have two TVs.

My living room TV plays 360 and Wii, and my bedroom TV has NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and PS2 all hooked up at once.

Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. Very Happy

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

My living room TV plays 360 and Wii, and my bedroom TV has NES, SNES, N64, GCN, and PS2 all hooked up at once.

my friend has one tv, and a switchboard with his wii, cube, snes and 64 plugged into it. a push of a button changes the connection to the tv, so he doesnt need to unplug anything. its quite the gadget
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that as well.

It has blessed the past decade of my life more than you could imagine.

Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:

my friend has one tv, and a switchboard with his wii, cube, snes and 64 plugged into it. a push of a button changes the connection to the tv, so he doesnt need to unplug anything. its quite the gadget

I have a scart switchboard for my VCRs. I don't need one for my console though, I only have a SNES hooked up to the 14" TV in my room. I have an N64 around somewhere, but it's not connected to either my TV or the main family set. Smile
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the poll results don't lie.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they don't. In a unanimous victory, it's Nintendo 9-0.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

10-0 actually. I've been meaning to post here but every time I get to this topic i get distracted by something or another and never finish what I was...

Hey look shiny objects

But anyways, I was raised on Nintendo and will as a result always be biased toward them being the best.

-The Fence Master
Yet One More Idiot
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

thefencemaster wrote:
Jason Tandro wrote:

10-0 actually. I've been meaning to post here but every time I get to this topic i get distracted by something or another and never finish what I was...

Hey look shiny objects

But anyways, I was raised on Nintendo and will as a result always be biased toward them being the best.

I get easily distracted too, but only som.....Ooo yeah, they are shiny! *runs off to look for more shiny objects* ^_^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: