TerraEarth Forums

Your proudest gaming moment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 am   Post subject: Your proudest gaming moment Reply with quote

So I'm throwing a thread together shortly before I turn in for the night. What was your finest moment? (I'm sure everyone has a shitload, but try to include only the ones that gave an especially immense feeling of pride... if everyone posted everything they've ever done that was kind of cool, we'd break the internet).

One of my standout memories is getting 100 super jumps for the first time in Super Mario RPG. I've done it several times since then, but I remember the first time was against Knife Guy. I had tried it a few times here and there, and had managed 30 (46 was my record at the time), and figured I'd give it another shot.

It started off normally, and I was counting in my head. When I got to 50, my brother got kind of a "holy shit" expression. As I was counting, and got up to around 80, I started to trip balls. My peripheral vision faded away, and everything turned white. Literally, it felt like the only thing I could see was the screen I was focused on, and it seemed to be floating. In the mid-80s, it occurred to me that I could actually make it, and I was praying that I could keep the rhythm going.

It may be in my head, but I could swear the timing for those jumps changes just a bit twice. But I digress.

I hit #100, and needless to say, Knife Guy died. I finished the fight, and moved on to Booster Hill. I did as well as I could there, but really, I just wanted to make it to the next save point, because the reset button was broken on our SNES (held in place with duct tape), and the system had a tendency to reset on its own (we called it 'blacking out'). If that happened and I lost my 100 jumps, I'd have been pissed.

Never happened, though. I made it to the save point in one piece, and my brother and I celebrated like assholes for the next little while. Thus, I got to enjoy the Super Suit to go with that nifty Attack Scarf.

Pointless trivia: Putting both of those on Mario gives you a higher speed rating than Culex, the fastest enemy in the game. When you start the fight, Mario gets a free shot, then he starts talking. Cool Guy

I've done it more since then (I became the designated "get me 100 jumps" guy), but the first time was easily the best.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i beat dark gaia. on terranigma. in one hit.

it was unbelievably epic, i was at my friend's party, playing my file on his cartridge. needless to say i was very loud after that, and celebratory drinks were had by all those nearby who had played the game
Level 12: Soul Knight

Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, speed run of Super Mario World in just over 13 minutes would be one for me.

Actually legitimately beating every ridiculous boss in each final fantasy game was nice. (especially Ruby and Emerald, I hated those guys)

Another one would be my single sitting run of Alttp. It was awesome. 4 and a half hours, my first speed run on any game ever, and I had an audience the entire way.

thats pretty much all I've got, nothing to fancy but still pretty good.

-The Fence Master
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something anyone could probably do, and it's the most recent one I can think of (I have a couple of others I'll list off here when I remember them, I'm sure), but:

At the end of Ar Tonelico 2. I'm fighting the last boss, which has 3 forms. Earlier in the game, you get this really cool attack, Replekia, in which you recruit these infected reyvateils (the song magic singers in the game series) to help you power up Replekia. It's fun to use and at the end of the game, I had 81/100 IPDs (the reyvateils you recruit).

So, as I get into the final boss battles, I'm psyched up. I'm thinking OH MAN this is going to be as irritating as the first AT game (since the last boss in that game took me 45 minutes to beat. She heals herself for 7000 hp EACH TURN) so I'm looking forward to a long, irritating and very challenging last fight.

I get 1/4 through the first form, and I see the status message that Replekia is ready, and so I fire it up. I let it run for a little while, fully intending for it to be used at the end of the first form. Well, that doesn't happen as I destroy the first form really easily. Ah well, that's fine, whatever, right? The next form starts up, I'm squeeing because the battle music is awesome and I've been looking forward to it since I heard it. I think at this point, my own reyvateils had synced up with each other, so it was some epic magic that was being built up. The sync runs out, and when that happens, the magic is automatically released at the monster. Between my using Replekia and then it using sync magic, in my first turn I obliterated the second form in one hit. I think I stared at the screen in disbelief, since I wasn't even TRYING to do that. I got all of 15 seconds into the battle theme, I think. Neutral

Other notable mentions is my beating the shit out of friends in SSBM with Luigi after they sat there going LOL LUIGI IS WEAKEST CHARACTER and all that (that was fun Very Happy), and my being able to beat Evrae in FFX with no problems when none of my other friends could.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

beating terranigma, after dozens of hours of playing when I was 8 or 9 years old.

then, reaching the 7th level in phalanx.

and in later years, my WoW-firstkills of course, or new epix Very Happy damn, I miss that.
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably reaching the final boss in Soul Blazer, at level 22, in a single sitting, without dying. Did the entire game in under 3 hours. I have not since been able to do so, and probably never will be able to again.

Another, being the local "Ocarina Of Time" guy. I was hired by several people to beat Ocarina of Time for them- because no one in the world, apparently besides me, could figure out the Water Temple legitimately (Meaning no strategy guide). Must've beaten the game six times through for other people alone, not including the several I've done for myself.

Oh, and my cheap playthrough of SMB 3 on SNES All Stars Cart. I spent roughly two days replaying several worlds, getting the cloud items to skip over levels. I filled all three item screens with them- and, in the final world, with the exception of completing two specific levels- ones I knew I could beat- I skipped all the way to the final boss castle, and finished. Surprised

There's so many I couldn't name just one. They all kind of roll into one.

Thanks for the memories, Freedan. Very Happy
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
PaGaN3l3m3nts
Level 7: Raiden

Level 7: Raiden

Gems 1,022

PostPaGaN3l3m3nts Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I finished a song on Heavy difficulty in DDR.. Song 'twas Holic. I was so damn proud. Pretty sure I spent over $10 just playing that one song unto defeat. Could handle a whole slew of Heavy songs after that one, though.

First time I pulled off a 100% damage combo as K' in King of Fighters 2001.

When I FINALLY beat Initial-D Arcade Stage ver.2. Took me forever to get through two of the stages in that game.

Wow, that list is pretty arcade focused. I somehow take some pride in that. All of them are from around the same time period, too... I guess when I finally beat Zombies Ate My Neighbors and the original Castlevania also register, just because I struggled futiley to beat them so many times in my youth.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Your proudest gaming moment Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
One of my standout memories is getting 100 super jumps for the first time in Super Mario RPG.

My disdain for you has just come into being. That's the only thing I can't do! Biting (Any pointers?)

I can't think of a single proudest moment, so here's three:

Super Smash Bros Brawl - In the Subspace Emissary mode, to get enemy trophies you have to weaken and catch them (like Pokemon). Well, I had managed to get every enemy and boss except for Meta-Ridley. Incidentally, the drop-rate of the "catch" item is very low, and he never hovers over land unless he's attacking. Needless to say, catching him was a BITCH. It took me two weeks as I recall. When I finally turned him into a trophy and grabbed it I was so excited I called all my gaming friends to tell them. I think they were mostly glad the suffering was over.

Sonic A2 Battle - Speaking of suffering, getting all 180 Emblems in this game was near-impossible. I had the game for a few years when I finally decided to get them all. It took me four months of off and on playing to get them.

However, if I had to put down anything as my proudest moment, it would be this:

Beating Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

That was when I knew, without a doubt, my youth was over.

I was now a Gaming Man. Cool

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just getting through the Doom 2 mod called The Ultimate Torment and Torture is an achievement in itself. It gets absolutely batshit crazy at the 4th episode.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearing Halo from start to finish on Legendary. I beat it goddamn it! Surprised

---

Um, winning my first Halo Free-For-All on XBOX Live was pretty good (In Halo 2's Coagulation level, and I did it by Shotgun-whoring, but damn it I did!).

Beating Sonic 2 after literally a year of trying to win.

Clearing most of Call of Duty 4 on Veteran difficulty... only to have my data erased. That was not so good. Mad

Beating Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy 8.

Beating Emerald Weapon in Final Fantasy 7.

Beating Ozma in Final Fantasy 9.

(Beating Omega Weapon in FFX shouldn't count because he was hella easy.)

I'll think of some more.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

Beating Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy 8.

i did that... it was friggin intense. and i got more than my money's worth from the laguna card ^^

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Your proudest gaming moment Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:
One of my standout memories is getting 100 super jumps for the first time in Super Mario RPG.

My disdain for you has just come into being. That's the only thing I can't do! Biting (Any pointers?)

If I had any advice, the biggest point would probably be to try it on an enemy where you can see your entire jump. Gives you more reaction time, and I found it easier to keep a rhythm going.

The K-9s in Bandit's Way are a good choice. If you get the right enemy configuration (I believe it's two K-9s and a Frogog), one of them will be down near the bottom of the screen, so you don't really disappear from view while you're jumping.

As for timing the jumps, it's kind of hard to describe. The button push comes a split second after your jump connects; the sound effect of your landing will just be starting, and it'll be just before the 1UP sound.

Also, I disdain you too. I disdain you a lot. Lots and lots of disdainage. Cool Guy

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation CAUTION! THREAD'S CUMULATIVE DISDAIN LEVEL EXCEEDING 9000! Exclamation

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
Exclamation CAUTION! THREAD'S CUMULATIVE DISDAIN LEVEL EXCEEDING 9000! Exclamation

AND NOW IT... IT'S... OVER 9000?!

WHAT? OVER 9000?! THAT CAN'T BE!!

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

My most recent?

Completing Through The Fire And Flames, On Expert Guitar, on Guitar Hero 3, almost failing out at the end. (Just now. :p )
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: