TerraEarth Forums

Album of the Week help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefencemaster
Level 12: Soul Knight

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:22 pm   Post subject: Album of the Week help Reply with quote

Greetings everyone. I am making this topic today to request your help. I believe somewhere in the "Currently Listening to..." thread I mentioned The Album of the Week idea of mine, but never really explained what it was. Basically, every week I pick an album that I am hardly, or preferably not familiar with at all, and then I learn everything that I can about it. The entire point of this is to learn more music, and to make myself listen to something that I normally would not. On that note, we get to where I would need your help.

I do not trust myself to go and pick some random music and just listen to it. If everyone here would be so kind as to suggest some albums for me to listen to that are over all good, I would greatly appreciate it. I did have a few bands in mind that I've always been curious about, but never listened to as well. These include:

Avenged SevenFold
The Decemberists
Green Day
Muse
Radio Head
Rage Against the Machine
U2

Albums by the above bands would be greatly appreciated. Although I don't actually have anything I can offer for your help, I can give you the fake promise of cookies. Really though, any album that you think is good I would like to know about. Thank you for your help and have a fantastic day

Cordially Yours
- The Fence Master

PS: Bananas

PSS: I just thought that all of that seemed a bit too serious, so I decided to spice it up a bit at the end

PSSS: I honestly don't remember if at the end of a letter and using multiple add-ons like I am now, if you are supposed to tag on an additional S or a P, so I just guessed

PSSSS: I think that this is by far the longest post I've ever typed for anything.

-The Fence Master
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, i think you append Ps instead of Ss.

secondly, since i dont actually listen to any of the bands you listed, i wont be able to help you with those. but i can help you with some cool albums to listen to.

the first suggestion ill make is

APRIL RAIN - Delain

this album is just amazing.
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

avanged sevenfold Cool Guy
the rest: meh

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm mildly familiar with a few of those.

If you are interested in Green Day, then definitely the 1994 album Dookie. Some of the tracks have been overplayed, but it is glorious nonetheless.

As for Avenged Sevenfold, Waking the Fallen is typically regarded as one of their more prominent albums. It was before the lead vocalist ripped his vocal cords, so it has the old Avenged Sevenfold sound, as opposed to their current sound which sounds a lot like Disturbed. Only with more going on, musically.

Sadly, I only know a few songs by those other bands. But I know there are quite a few music lovers here. They'll help you out. (maybe)

Finally, here's some personal suggestions:

Blink-182 - Enema of the State
Daft Punk - Discovery
Trivium - Ascendancy
Simple Plan - No Pads, No Helmets... Just Balls
Atreyu - The Curse
Something Corporate - Leaving Through the Window

I tried to suggest bands that were similar to the bands you asked about. Except for Discovery. That's just my favorite album.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse and Radiohead. DO IT.

...uh, though, as for albums to listen to by them, I would go with Absolution for Muse, and... well, it depends on your taste for Radiohead Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer are mainly rock-based (and out of those I would recommend The Bends and OK Computer, though Pablo Honey is all right, but that's just me. Very Happy) Kid A through In Rainbows (Kid A, Amnesia, Hail To the Thief, In Rainbows) is their weird experimental style. If I remember correctly, Kid A was the album that Thom said "LETS GO WITH NON-CONVENTIONAL INSTRUMENTS GUYS" and used a lot of other weird stuff for their instruments. I'm slightly bias toward Kid A though, since it's my favourite album. Razz

Here, have some samples.

From Pablo Honey: Just, Ripcord

From The Bends: My Iron Lung, Fake Plastic Trees (absolutely amazing in concert Cool!), Street Spirit (Fade Out)

From OK Computer: Paranoid Android, Karma Police

From Kid A: Everything In Its Right Place (again, another amazing one in concert!), The National Anthem, Idioteque (my absolute favourite song by them)

From Amnesiac: Pyramid Song, I Might Be Wrong, Like Spinning Plates

From Hail To the Thief: Sail to the Moon, Where I End and You Begin

From In Rainbows: Reckoner, House of Cards, 15 Step

BONUS: Videotape (album) and Videotape (Live from The Basement). I adore the song (it's like, right up there with Idioteque), so you get two versions of it. Very Happy

Oh man see what happens when you ask about my favourite band? Sad I go all tl;dr on everyone.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
secondly, since i dont actually listen to any of the bands you listed, i wont be able to help you with those.

same here Very Happy

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:

Trivium - Ascendancy

Shogun!

at least, i think its a better album. fan ratings judge the two to be very close
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
tay120n64 wrote:

Trivium - Ascendancy

Shogun!

at least, i think its a better album. fan ratings judge the two to be very close

Dammit, I still need to listen to it!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an alternative to the over played and (now) corporate poser boys Green Day, I highly recommend anything by The OFfspring. Their third Album Smash has some really great songs, as well as their forth, Ixnay On The Hombre, which includes one of my all time favorite songs, Gone Away.

I'm a Bush fanboy. :p Their debut album 6Teen Stone is my favorite album of all time. It encompasses everything that the grunge/alternative rock era of the early ninties stood for.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
If you want an alternative to the over played and (now) corporate poser boys Green Day, I highly recommend anything by The OFfspring. Their third Album Smash has some really great songs, as well as their forth, Ixnay On The Hombre, which includes one of my all time favorite songs, Gone Away.

I'm a Bush fanboy. :p Their debut album 6Teen Stone is my favorite album of all time. It encompasses everything that the grunge/alternative rock era of the early ninties stood for.

I'll also go with Bush. Bush has got some good stuff. Green Day is... well, I like their older stuff better.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I'll also go with Bush. Bush has got some good stuff. Green Day is... well, I like their older stuff better.

Hence why I only suggested Dookie. I don't care if it is overplayed, or if they did choose to sell out (and can you blame them? It's good money, after all, and they were up front about it) I still love this album! Very Happy

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I'm glad to see there's other Bushie's out there. (No pun intended, I swear)

Some good songs off that particular album;

Everything Zen- typical radio rock, but the lyrics are overly confusing.
Machine Head- Heavier rock song, but one of their bests.
Come Down- A softer rock song, and very catchy.
Glycerine- It's a very slow song, a possible love song.
Little Things- A lesser known song, but one of my favorites off the album.

Also, any older Green Day fans I highly recommend listening to the song J.A.R. It can be found on the International Superhits collection CD, or on the soundtrack to the film Angus. Or, a good ole download'll let you hear it. It's another personal favorite of mine, and a kind of happy secret for early Green Day fans. Definately deserves a listen.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I'm also a fan of Alien, which I believe is on that album as well.

Another good Bush song, though one of their newer ones, is Chemicals Between Us. I really adore that song as it is. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
thefencemaster

Gems 6,011

Postthefencemaster Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, new question for all of you. Is there any interest in following this AotW among this forum. If so, I can post my weekly review type of thing here. I put them up on facebook already, but It wouldn't be a hassle for me to post them here if there was any interest

-The Fence Master
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I'm also a fan of Alien, which I believe is on that album as well.

Another good Bush song, though one of their newer ones, is Chemicals Between Us. I really adore that song as it is. Very Happy

That was off their second to last album, The Science Of Things. One of my favorite songs was off their last album, Golden State. It's originally titled "Speed Kills (The People That We Love)," but, due to it's release shortly after 9/11, the name was changed, simply, to "The People That We Love."

And I can't believe I forgot "Alien." I love that song. And yes, 6Teen Stone it was.

And Mr. Fence; sure, why not?
This User Has Completed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: