TerraEarth Forums

Port-ability
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 pm   Post subject: Port-ability Reply with quote

Okay, so a random question. This is mainly about Soul Blazer, but can also be applied to Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia.

Which modern console do you think these games would best be ported to? Would they have updated graphics, music, etc. or just be ports?

For my end, I love the PSP and think that a DS or PSP release (and upgrade FFIV style) would be kick ass.

However could you imagine how much fun (and potential ass) a Wii release of Illusion of Gaia would be? Very Happy

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

FFIV DS style?

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

PLEASE DEAR GOD NO.

That has got to be one of the UGLIEST looking remakes I have ever seen. I'm praying that if they release FFVI again, they don't go that route. If they're going to graphically update it, I'd rather see an update in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for PSP. Which is arguably the most beautiful sprite-based game I've ever seen.

Although, really, the games don't really need a graphical update. Polish it up and enhance it a bit (like Chrono Trigger DS) and they'll be fine.

Nintendo DS would be the best system to remake them on, despite the extra graphical and processing capabilities of a PSP.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
FFIV DS style?

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

PLEASE DEAR GOD NO.

That has got to be one of the UGLIEST looking remakes I have ever seen. I'm praying that if they release FFVI again, they don't go that route. If they're going to graphically update it, I'd rather see an update in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for PSP. Which is arguably the most beautiful sprite-based game I've ever seen.

Although, really, the games don't really need a graphical update. Polish it up and enhance it a bit (like Chrono Trigger DS) and they'll be fine.

Nintendo DS would be the best system to remake them on, despite the extra graphical and processing capabilities of a PSP.

i quite like the new ff4. although ill admit, some of the models do look kinda ugly and misproportioned (cecil springs to mind, his head is friggin huge). im playing it now and dont have many complaints.

as for the topic, id love to see a terranigma remade anywhere - but id prefer a wii one. full 3d ark with wiimote swinging action would kick so much ass. oh and a ds port (WITHOUT unnecessary stylus movements) would be great also
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see a remake of the Gaia trilogy, rather than just a straight port of it to the Wii or any of the other current consoles.

Could you imagine it in a properly rendered 3D environment, rather than the orthogonal perspective that was so well-used back in the 90s? And of course, using the action of the Wii-mote instead of just pressing the A button to attack, you could really hack'n'slash your way through those dungeons. And it'd give you a good workout at the same time. Very Happy

I'd also improve the ending of IoG; sorry, but that Comet and Dark Gaia battle sucked ass imho. All the building towards a climax and....eh, kinda fell a bit flat really for me.
Shiva Indis
Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Level 5: Sabre Wolf

Gems 366

PostShiva Indis Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
i quite like the new ff4. although ill admit, some of the models do look kinda ugly and misproportioned (cecil springs to mind, his head is friggin huge). im playing it now and dont have many complaints.

I loved FF4DS. I thought the characters were cute just like the developers wanted me to. That's my two cents. Smile I think FF4DS is quite impressive visually, stylistic issues aside, and it would make a great template for any early SNES game you'd like to update to DS.

For Soul Blazer in particular I think something in the style of Ys I & II DS would also work very well. It seems very compatible with Soul Blazer visually, it's really strong on the nostalgia factor, and would be quicker/cheaper to develop than taking the full polygonal approach.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I overreacted a bit, lol.

3D graphics on DS just bother me. I've always felt that if you can't make it look glorious, even if it doesn't look that bad, you should just stick with 2D. The DS has some power behind it, but is it really necessary to have 3D graphics? Won't 2D work just as well?

(sorry for the massively subjective commentary Cool Guy )

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize, tay. We all got our opinions! Very Happy

On that note, how do you feel about Phantom Hourglass and Spirits tracks? Those are 3D DS games.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And I hate them as well. Very Happy

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with playing them on my XBox just as they were. Shhh! Just don't tell anyone.

I'd love to see them ported elsewhere- but why? Their just fine the way they've always been, IMO, so why try to fix something that isn't broken?

Ask Rob Zombie about that and those two horrendous Halloween films. Mad
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
so why try to fix something that isn't broken

Translation.

Hell, I'd be satisfied with a re-translated port if that's all we got. Mainly for Illusion of Gaia. Soul Blazer didn't really have much of a story.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
And I hate them as well. Very Happy

lol i dislike phantom hourglass also. but not for its graphics. the overenthusiastic promotion of the touch-screen's functions is just ANNOYING.

and id have no objections to 2d remakes. 2d games were awesome, and there isnt any reason why games shouldnt be kept as 2d, if the 3d capabilities of whatever they are on isnt as awesome as the latest generation of consoles. even then, it depends on how the 3d is used with the controls
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, as fast as cell phones are evolving, I wouldn't be surprised if our kids started playing these old games on their cell phones, lol. Very Happy

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
To be honest, as fast as cell phones are evolving, I wouldn't be surprised if our kids started playing these old games on their cell phones, lol. Very Happy

i already have pokemon blue on mine. Very Happy and mine is ancient. one of my friends had a gba emulator on his phone, and gba is more powerful than a snes.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding? Man that'd be really cool actually. The only game on my phone is Midnight Pool 2. Good pool simulator, but when I hear people bragging about Final Fantasy Before Crisis and such... Mad

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

Go buy an Iphone. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Soul Blazer All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: