TerraEarth Forums

Is Looking As Bad As Touching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 am   Post subject: Is Looking As Bad As Touching? Reply with quote

This is a sensitive subject, and slightly unfair on a gender level as there are tons of men but only a few women on this board, but I wanted to know if you believe that checking out members of the opposite sex is offensive, if it is cheating if you are with somebody, in short is it as bad as touching?

I personally think if you're single (as long as you don't get carried away), checking out other people is fine. If your with somebody, married or not, I believe that lusting after somebody else is basically cheating. But then I'm a tad on the hyper-religious side.

What do you all think?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a difference between checking out and just staring. staring can be considered harassment, but i think just a casual glance (even if more than once) is fine, its just when you start thinking of what youd do when youre going a tad far
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the looking. A couple glances? Sure. But if you're doing nothing but stare at my boobs while talking to me (a guy was doing this to me last night at Starbucks; and he was old enough to be my dad, ugh) and I can see the "I'm totally undressing you with my eyes" look in your eyes? Just as bad as touching, it skeeves me the hell out, and even if I think you're super cute, you will have just turned me off to you completely.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

in germany there's a saying:

"appetit holt man sich draußen, gegessen wird daheim."

means:

"you work up an appetite outside, but you eat at home." Very Happy
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
in germany there's a saying:

"appetit holt man sich draußen, gegessen wird daheim."

means:

"you work up an appetite outside, but you eat at home." Very Happy

High five to that!
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... checking out the fairer sex is natural. Staring at them is odd behavior, but nevertheless still human nature. Stalking them is when it goes too far. Very Happy

If you're just checking out a girl, no harm no foul. If you're intently staring at her- and have no plan to make any moves- I think that's the crossing the boarder of the comfort zones. Not to say I haven't done it myself- and any guy on this board, barring their own sexual preference, would be lying if they said otherwise.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah. I was a lecherous pervert in high school... and things only went downhill from there. I have learned to keep my eyes on my own work (if you will), but that doesn't mean I won't do a double-take of an especially hot girl.

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Glancing is ok. Staring isn't. I'd say that applies whether you're single or not.

Staring at someone is rude. And if you're with somebody, then you're being rude to them and the person you're staring at.

And it's creepy.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this discussion is the definition of the word "stare". As a general rule, I say under 3 seconds is a "glance" 3-6 seconds is a "look" and 7 or more is "staring".

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
The problem with this discussion is the definition of the word "stare". As a general rule, I say under 3 seconds is a "glance" 3-6 seconds is a "look" and 7 or more is "staring".

I actually see glancing/looking as like, the 1-3 second barrier, and 4 to seven seconds as staring, and 8 and up as creep staring.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking isn't as bad as touching.

Like Raini said, it's okay to look at the new models, as long as you're not drooling all over them.

However, if you have a lady-friend and she's not comfortable with you even looking, then it doesn't matter which is worse, they'll both send you to the dog house.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:

Personally, I'd say that's a very generous estimate.

I'd say if you're single, up to 2 seconds is a glance, and more than that is staring. "Look" could fall in between the two somewhere, but there's a fine line between looking and staring.

And if you're with somebody, the "glance" time gets cut to a second. You turn, notice someone attractive, then turn your attention away. You don't want to make it obvious that you're trying to commit it to memory.

tay120n64 wrote:
However, if you have a lady-friend and she's not comfortable with you even looking, then it doesn't matter which is worse, they'll both send you to the dog house.

That isn't really fair, though. It happens, but it isn't fair.

I think if you're that bothered with your partner so much as looking at someone else, it speaks to your own insecurity more than anything else. It reeks of jealousy.

If you get married, you're still going to find other women attractive. It's hard-wired in to your brain. It's completely unreasonable for someone to expect their partner to never look at or find someone attractive just because they're together. The important thing is to not stare, and even more importantly, to not act on it.

Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm not religious, but I think lusting for someone else while you're involved with someone isn't on the high end of the moral compass.

However, I don't find it offensive unless it's like, a really long obvious look. Like, to the point of rudeness. Other than that, I don't care.

Then again, if he really wants to get into her pants, he can have her, lol.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan, the Dark Knight wrote:

If you get married, you're still going to find other women attractive. It's hard-wired in to your brain. It's completely unreasonable for someone to expect their partner to never look at or find someone attractive just because they're together. The important thing is to not stare, and even more importantly, to not act on it.

/signed

I don't stare at other girls that much, except ones with a very huge chest Wink I love how my girlfriend facepalms when I loudly say "oh my god, look! look! what massive breasts!" Very Happy but if I see a guy on the urinal next to me with a huge dick, I immediately tell my gf "do you see this guy on the table? he has an extremely huge penis, amazing!".

means: as long as you don't see another person as a whole more attractive, it's alright. another good german saying (damn, recently a lot of them come to my mind : ):

"you have the bigger penis, but mine SMELLS WORSE!"

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

"you have the bigger penis, but mine SMELLS WORSE!"

...ehm...aha?
We're so not getting on your side at the next World War Scared

(sorry for posting nonsense stuff on Debate Island, I just can't helpt it)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: