TerraEarth Forums

Child Discipline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:24 am   Post subject: Child Discipline Reply with quote

I believe that teaching Discipline at an early age is paramount to raising a respectful child. I believe in corporal punishment, but only to the extent of spanking. Punching or whipping your kids with a belt is a tad far.

Your views?

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with that.

Too many kids have no respect for their parents or anyone else because their parents aren't allowed to discipline their kids. I mean actually discipline them. None of this "time out" bullshit.

Now, kids have learned that if their parents lay a hand on them, they can call child services. They have no real consequences to face for their actions, so they're free to do whatever they want.

Then, when they're 16, having grown up with no respect for rules or authority, they do something criminal and get themselves sent to jail until they're 21. And we all know what a haven of positive learning that is.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

raising a child does not need violence, if done correctly. I remember my dad threatening, but never even slapping me. I had enough respect as a child that this was more than enough. can't speak of any of my friends who experienced violence as children, and we're all a bunch of middle to upper middle class sons & daughters with good jobs and stuff.

slapping could be ok, if done by the mother if you're in puberty and anger her. maybe once in 2 years or so. but a father shouldn't need violence, he should have built up enough respect by beeing your role model.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't need physical hitting, but a good swat on the butt does wonders for a "DON'T DO THAT AGAIN." sort of ideal. It doesn't need to be brutal, but enough to sting to let the child know that what they did was wrong. It usually only takes one or two times before the kid stops doing it (I was spanked ONCE as a kid, for that exact same reason.)

I also believe that shoving a bar of soap in a kid's mouth does wonders too. When I hear 8 year olds dropping f-bombs in my store, I want to do just that to them Neutral Bad enough when I hear 12-13 year olds doing it, but I hate it when kids younger than that are doing that. They're usually the brattiest children in the store, too.

Of course, outright beating the children with a belt/switch/blunt object is Not All Right, and that is child abuse. I don't condone that, but I condone the use of letting a kid know that their actions aren't right.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that it depends on the situation. disciplining is a good way to let the child know theyve done something wrong, but it needs to go hand in hand with praise. too much of one and they grow up with interesting personality issues
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Rainichan: Actually, I don't condone the mouth-soap thing. That is a much more forceful process. You've got the kid under the sink, running cold water, and a nasty tasting bar in their mouth. That's pretty damned traumatic if you're 6!

I think spanking is a good all around discipline, and I think it should be used as a "last straw" punishment. If reason and revoking of priveleges doesn't work, then that's the only left a child will respond to.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
@Rainichan: Actually, I don't condone the mouth-soap thing. That is a much more forceful process. You've got the kid under the sink, running cold water, and a nasty tasting bar in their mouth. That's pretty damned traumatic if you're 6!

I think spanking is a good all around discipline, and I think it should be used as a "last straw" punishment. If reason and revoking of priveleges doesn't work, then that's the only left a child will respond to.

Haha, nah. My mom did that ONCE to me for either backtalking her or something. All she did was give me one of those Mom Is Angry looks, dragged me to the bathroom, grabbed the bar of soap and said "Open your mouth." No water involved. I remember bawling with a huge bar of soap in my mouth and damn did it work when she went "Do you want to have your mouth washed out with soap?" as a threat.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit] (oh god this post.. can't do my old comment anymore. )Disciplining, so long as it's done correctly, can be effective. Just not over the top, and it does depend, really

Last edited by Mantaray on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:29 am; edited 4 times in total
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad used a wooden paddle on me, and boy did it work.

My parents have been divorced since I was 2, but all my mom had to say was, "Do you want me to call your dad?" and I started behaving immediately. I got whipped up until I was around nine, then after that I just got grounded. I most definitely believe in corporal punishment, and you can bet I'll be implementing it when I have children of my own. It taught me restraint and respect, but only because my dad didn't just yell at me, hit me, then walk off. He always explained why he had to do it, and always reminded me that he loved me.

Adversely, my step-dad would whip me for ridiculous things and think nothing of it. Probably one of the reasons he was only my step-dad for less than a year.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: