TerraEarth Forums

Health Care Reform Bill Passed In House!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:07 am   Post subject: Health Care Reform Bill Passed In House! Reply with quote

Washington (CNN) -- The House of Representatives passed a sweeping health care bill Saturday night with a tight vote of 220-215, making it the biggest expansion of health care coverage since Medicare was created more than 40 years ago.

The Affordable Health Care for America Act, or H.R. 3962, restricts insurance companies from denying coverage to anyone with a pre-existing condition or charging higher premiums based on gender or medical history. It also provides federal subsidies to those who cannot afford it and guarantees coverage for 96 percent of Americans, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

However, turning the bill into law remains uncertain.

The bill barely squeaked by in the Democrat-controlled House, with just one Republican voting for it -- first-time lawmaker Joseph Cao who holds a seat in predominantly Democratic New Orleans.

One hundred and seventy-six Republicans opposed it, as did 39 Democrats.

The Senate must now pass its own version of the health care legislation.

Senate lawmakers are also having a hard time winning over Republicans and conservative Democrats. It is unclear when the Senate will vote on its version.

Even if it passes, lawmakers in the House and Senate will have to reconcile their respective versions into one document and vote again.

President Obama said he was "absolutely confident" the Senate will follow suit in passing its version of the bill.

"I look forward to signing comprehensive health insurance reform into law by the end of the year," he said.

With eight seconds left in the voting period, Democrats began counting down, erupting in roars when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi declared, "The bill is passed."

Democrat Sheila Jackson-Lee from Texas waved a copy of the bill while her colleagues pumped their fists.

"Democrats voted for the bill and a Republican voted for the bill. That equals bipartisan," Pelosi said later.

Republican lawmakers stood silently across the floor, some with their arms folded across their chest.

"Well, it was about what I thought it would be," said House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio as he quickly exited.

Later, he issued a statement where he said the $1.2 trillion legislation would add to the country's "skyrocketing" debt. Democrats have said the bill will cut the deficit by $104 billion over 10 years.

"I came here to renew the American Dream, so my kids and their kids have the same opportunities I had," Boehner said. "I came here to fight big-government monstrosities like this bill that dim the light of freedom and diminish opportunity for future generations."

Michael Steele, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, released an equally tersely-worded statement.

"Nancy Pelosi and her liberal lieutenants made a lot of promises today to get the votes they desperately needed," he said. "Make no mistake -- the Democrat leadership's assurances were based on political expediency, not principle. Anyone receiving a promise from Pelosi is guaranteed to be disappointed in the end when their votes are no longer needed."

Earlier in the day, Obama met behind closed doors with Democrats to shore up support for the bill, calling it a chance of a generation.

In the run-up to the vote, Republicans and conservative Democrats joined forces to pass an amendment to the bill to prohibit federal funds for abortion services.

Its consideration was considered a big win for them and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, which used its power, especially with conservative Democrats in swing congressional districts, to help force other Democratic leaders to permit a vote that most of them oppose.

The prohibition, introduced by Democratic members, including Rep. Brad Ellsworth of Indiana and Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan, would exclude cases of rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger.

The GOP accounted for 174 of the votes in favor of the amendment, with one Republican voting "present."

On the Democrat's side, 64 voted for the measure, and 194 voted against.

A second amendment, introduced by Boehner, would have substituted several sections of the health care bill dealing with insurance. Legislators voted against the amendment 258-176.

Rep. John Dingell of Michigan, the longest-serving member of the House, presided over the debate. Since joining the House in 1955 to replace his father, Dingell, 83, has introduced his father's health insurance bill every year since.

"The nation will be grateful to us all," he said, urging the House to pass the bill.

It did, after a lengthy contentious session. Later, the Democrats made it clear they are braced for a fight if one awaits them in the Senate.

"Today, Congressional Democrats put opponents of reform on notice: the status quo is unsustainable and inaction is not an option," said Tim Kaine, the chairman of the Democratic National Committee. "This vote doesn't mark the end of this process -- we still have a ways to go -- but it is a critical milestone on the road to passing health insurance reform.

"The American people want reform -- they need reform -- and Democrats will not rest until we pass comprehensive health reform legislation."

Read the bill

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Mr. Green I'm really, REALLY hoping the Senate won't pass that bill. I don't need my paychecks taxed more to pay for everyone else's health care when I barely make $80/week.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jebus, raini. You only make 80 bucks a week? Surprised
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. You know the lamest excuse I heard for the people who are anti-public health care:

My sisters friend, Joe Hazelwood, bitched out my dad for being anti-public option because he was a soldier. Soldiers when they retire get government health care for life. Joe's argument was "it's easy for you to be against it when you won't be affected."

My dad said: "If you want to go out and serve your country and earn free health care, by all means do it."

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, meant to further elaborate/edit my last post, but now that there's another post...

This is good for me. I cannot afford health care- I live paycheck to paycheck, and between all the bills I pay, I can't afford it. The Target Corporations' healthcare system sucks- they've effectively destroyed co-pays, which would've been great. Their copay is something like 200 every paycheck (Every two weeks) and 35 bucks per doctor visit, 85 for emergency room visits, and 35 on medicines. That doesn't even include a dental plan or anything else!

So something like this is what I need, and I'm glad their trying to get it, but I apologize it's at the expense of others. Sad
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SBF: You un-American bastard! Don't you know anything? If somethings too expensive, just don't pay the bills. And forget "In God We Trust" our national motto should be "Your Check Is In The Mail". Laughing

Blade

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*stays in Europe* V Smile V
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

australia has had an organised medical system like this for quite a while now. i couldnt imagine having to pay a separate fee for private health insurance
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

the u.s.a. has one of the most expensive health care systems (for the state) and also one of the worst health care for their people. you really need a reform!
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

recession troubles comin'

and you know it'll be passed since people tend let things happen even when they know it's a stupid thing.

Last edited by Mantaray on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:
Jebus, raini. You only make 80 bucks a week? Surprised

8 hours a week, one day a week is all I work because my boss is a bitch.

@psychokind: We may need a reform, but not this one. Again, I don't need my paycheck dropping further because I'm paying for assholes on welfare who can work just fine but don't want to because they're lazy fucks, excuse my language. Why the hell should I pay for their health care when they're doing jack shit to earn it?

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Why the hell should I pay for their health care when they're doing jack shit to earn it?

Hear, hear.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
rainichan wrote:
Why the hell should I pay for their health care when they're doing jack shit to earn it?

Hear, hear.

Good, I'm apparently not the only one sick of watching people roll up in their expensive as hell cars with their expensive as hell sound system bumping the parking lot, only to find them come into the store to use their food stamps for food. Neutral

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Raini: No ma'am. My friend Josh is an able-bodied young man more than capable of working. But he's on food stamps. All he does is hangs out with us and plays WoW all day (his mom pays for his account). When he's not with us, we constantly rip into him (and sometimes we do it when he's around).

i.e.

Us: Hey Josh
Josh: What?
Us: You got a job yet?
Josh: Aw shut up guys.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me the whole point of moving out on my own was to prove that I could be completely self-relient. To be honest, it wouldn't bother me if I were still living with my mom, because I would be helping with bills if I were, but there's a very good-feeling pride about having your own apartment and supporting yourself. Granted, without my parent's initial support, I might not have been able to do it, but then that's what government institutions like Food Stamps are supposed to be for; getting you on your feet.

Now, America, it's time to stand on your own.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: