TerraEarth Forums

Mary Sue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:40 am   Post subject: Mary Sue? Reply with quote

i didnt quite know where to put this, so i chucked it here.

since a fair number among you have tried their hand at story writing, i figured id ask this. did you ever run your characters through the Mary Sue litmus tests?

as fanfic writers (original or not) im sure you'd be aware of what a Mary Sue character is.

ive put one character ive come up with (made an appearance in the soon[ish] to be cotinued fic i started on here, RP board, and another place i think) through these tests, and the results vary from borderline to not at all. so im fairly impressed with that. if i do post the fic up anywhere, it shouldnt get that much Mary-Sue related hate.

so yeah... ever seen the test?
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have! I roleplay as well, so any original characters I have, I run them through that test to make sure they aren't raging special snowflake Mary Sues who are the most gorgeous women in the land. When I make my own roleplay, any original characters will be highly recommended to be run through that before applying. Smile

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Trainstation? What is Mary Sue'ing a character?
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

a Mary Sue character is a character that is clichéd to the point of pointlessness. kinda like most of the Twilight characters.

for a better definition,

"A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as wish-fulfillment fantasies for their authors or readers. Perhaps the single underlying feature of all characters described as "Mary Sues" is that they are too ostentatious for the audience's taste, or that the author seems to favor the character too highly. The author may seem to push how exceptional and wonderful the "Mary Sue" character is on his or her audience, sometimes leading the audience to dislike or even resent the character fairly quickly; such a character could be described as an "author's pet"."

-wikipedia
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, like the Postman in Twilight Princess? ^^

You learn something new every day!
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me demonstrate by shitty purple prose roleplay writing at 5am (dear god I'll want to kill myself) what a Mary Sue is:

*ahem* "As the girl walked into the bar, the first thing one might notice about her was her perfectly crafted body: her curves were perfect and her skin pristine. Speaking of her skin, it was pale in colour, but it seemed to glow when the dim lights in the bar hit it. In fact, it was glowing, seeing as Samantha Kitty Misha Branbul was the child of an angel and a human. She inherited many things from her mother, which included long golden hair that could bring back a certain nostalgia in people about the fields in which they may have played in when children, and deep blue orbs (note: hur hur almost used eyes here, what was I thinking?) that changed colour depending on her mood.

Of course, that's not including her body, which again was perfect in any way and could get any man she may have wanted. In fact, no man had ever turned her down when she asked for something; it was a blessing and a curse to be this beautiful."

On that note, I'm going to go commit seppuku now. Sad

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

now I understand that too Very Happy

I don't write fan fics, but I'm playing pen & paper. can I make the test for my "the dark eye"-char too?

although I don't think I fit the stereo-type of my "black magic demon summoner" - mage. I like to rape and torture elven females, but on the other hand I'm the prime minister of our country. and I rule with a fair hand, unlike certain warmongers in my group Laughing

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

lol thats certainly an interesting character. there are a few tests out there, this one being one that you do online. the rest ive seen involve pen and paper, and tallying numbers. then again, if you RP with that character, pen and paper should be easily accessible too.

and @raini. lol. that completes like 2 of the categories flawlessly. maybe more, even. very much worthy of sueicide (oh god help me, that one made me want to borrow your katana after youd finished)
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

link pls Very Happy

tay... NO!
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
link pls Very Happy

tay... NO!

WHEN YOU TELL ME NOT TO IS WHEN I DO IT.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
and @raini. lol. that completes like 2 of the categories flawlessly. maybe more, even. very much worthy of sueicide (oh god help me, that one made me want to borrow your katana after youd finished)

It's sad when I can do that. I've been doing the roleplay thing for a long, long time. AOL had some of that kind of stuff going on way back in the day, so I saw it on a constant basis. Guess it sort of ingrained itself into me. Razz

Edit: And I realized I forgot to add that she had some traumatic childhood that probably involved her dog dying in her arms after a bull stampede. Damn. Next time, though.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
link pls Very Happy

tay... NO!

there was a link in the message i posted. this one was a link.

http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

50+
Kill it dead. Or make sure you read the instructions properly (some people don't do this, which causes freakishly high scores) and take the test again.

total of 71?!...

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
50+
Kill it dead. Or make sure you read the instructions properly (some people don't do this, which causes freakishly high scores) and take the test again.

total of 71?!...

did you fill in both the original character AND the rpg insert sections? coz u choose one of them.

otherwise, OUCH.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

only part 1, 4 and 5. well, maybe I am playing a stereotype. I still think my roleplaying behaviour is very reasonable, I play myself with the possibility to torture, kill and rape everyone who gets in my way Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: