TerraEarth Forums

Power Player is ILLEGAL product.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ocie Denver
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:24 pm   Post subject: Power Player is ILLEGAL product. Reply with quote

Quote:
From GameInformer.com - April 15, 2005
The FBI has arrested four Chinese nationals in New York for allegedly distributing video game consoles that contain Nintendo game software. With approximately 40 FBI agents, they seized more than 60,000 illegal products during five raids on April 13. The illegal products, marketed under the brand name "Power Player," contain dozens of pirated versions of popular Nintendo games like Donkey Kong, Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt.

Authorities say that between September and December 2004, the defendants imported 27 cargo containers holding more than 280,000 counterfeit video game systems. After several meetings, the defendants revealed to the undercover FBI agents the locations of their warehouses and provided information about their distribution network. On April 13, the undercover agents, posing as toy distributors, arrested the four defendants and confiscated illegal products, computers and business records. The FBI conducted accompanying searches in Queens, N.Y.; Brooklyn, N.Y.; and Maple Shade, N.J., near Philadelphia.

"Nintendo applauds the actions taken by the FBI. U.S. law enforcement authorities have played an instrumental role in attacking piracy in the U.S. and abroad," says Jodi Daugherty, Nintendo of America's director of anti-piracy. "Nintendo will continue to work with local, state, national and international authorities to combat the growing problem of product piracy around the world."

The New York raids are just the latest in a long line of criminal actions that Nintendo is currently supporting. For more than a decade, Nintendo of America Inc.'s anti-piracy team has led the charge against video game piracy around the world. During the first quarter of 2005, the team reports that more than 80 seizures of counterfeit Nintendo products were conducted, resulting in the confiscation of close to 180,000 products globally. In another FBI action earlier this month, a defendant in a Minnesota case pleaded guilty to copyright infringement and faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

I had seen Power Players in local malls but I dont fell into that cheap devices. They're come in modified N64 controllers and plug to TV to play the games. Also, they come with light gun and sega controller (or different kind of controller such as PS1 or Dreamcast). Or they also come in as GBA consoles.

Dont mess with Nintendo!

*hide my rom collection* Scared
Previously known as Aoiga

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 1,121

Postblueisalive Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Scared

Scary!

Don't worry though, you wouldn't be arrested if you bought one anyway. It might be taken from you at most but you couldn't have been charged with anything if you bought one.

That would have been a great buy if it was cheap, considering my nes is completely not working anymore and I get tired of the whole messy side of roms.

Yay! I won something!
Thanx raini for the great sigs!
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Always funny to see people get what they deserve. Cool Guy

And yeah, they won't punish anyone who bought this stuff. They don't punish people for unknowingly buying stolen material.

Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got few reasons for not purchase the Power Player: it had bad controller (mostly lagging), not organized in alphabet list, and dont have premit from Nintendo themselves. So I avoid them. But it's nice to have whole nes collection in a device at once.
I tried the demo at local mall, I noticed some games were licensed by other companies such as Konami, Atari, and others are still in active today. So, power player's developers now in BIG troubles!

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's truth on what's threating Nintendo company:

Quote:
From ign.com, April 14, 2005
Nintendo reps said the company loses millions of dollars every year to software pirates, who bootleg copies of popular titles and sell them worldwide

I dont like those ppl at all.... Mad

I know it's old thread but please read the topic from Nintendo Forums about Power Players: Power Player - Another Rip-off Alert
If you see any of Power Players in somewhere in United States, it's important to report them to Nintendo anti-piracy group by email because they do BREAK the copyright law and destroy the Nintendo.

From what's I heard on Nintendo forums, many Nintendo fans reported those power players to law enforcers and Nintendo took it serious.
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I remember those in my mall too. After Christmas though, they were gone, and I thought it weird, since they sold really quickly and they were obviously making a profit from them.

I wish they'd do something about the GBA "games" I see in Chinatown too. 300+ old NES-SNES games on ONE GBA cartridge doesn't seem right.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
I wish they'd do something about the GBA "games" I see in Chinatown too. 300+ old NES-SNES games on ONE GBA cartridge doesn't seem right.

Why not report it to Nintendo agents so they will do something with illegal 'nes library' GBA cartridges if they're in United States?
Report illegal products to Nintendo agents via email: piracyscene@noa.nintendo.com

Also, I found information about GBA scam occured before christmas time. They use cheap materials, clips, and roms to make GBA products look real but they're still illegal copies. That's what happens to Zelda Minish Cap and other popular games.

I wish security and justice need serious attention in Asia. They gone too far.
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

still ... you can't really say one thing is more illegal than another ... if you've ever decided to record a tv show on a video tape thats just as illegal as what they're doing ... or any copied software at all etc
Ocie Denver

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Record the tv show or movie isnt illegal less you plan to sell the copies to public. Long time ago, my mom record hundred of pay-per-view movies on tapes so I could enjoy them when I stay at her house. But I buy classic movies on DVD if they're available. A month ago, I finally bought Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD since mom got those on tape. I'm so happy about get them.

One question: I kept find some GBA roms out somewhere in internet or P2P programs while they're really on shelves? But no Xbox, PS2, or GC ISO/roms?

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

well from what i heard it actually is illegal to record tv shows ... doesn't matter about distributing it ...
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Muerte wrote:
if you've ever decided to record a tv show on a video tape thats just as illegal as what they're doing

Only if you sell it for profit. They usually put that in some kind of disclaimer, saying reproduction and distribution is illegal.

Axe Kazama

Resident

Gems 3,005

PostAxe Kazama Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathpit wrote:
Record the tv show or movie isnt illegal less you plan to sell the copies to public. Long time ago, my mom record hundred of pay-per-view movies on tapes so I could enjoy them when I stay at her house. But I buy classic movies on DVD if they're available. A month ago, I finally bought Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD since mom got those on tape. I'm so happy about get them.

One question: I kept find some GBA roms out somewhere in internet or P2P programs while they're really on shelves? But no Xbox, PS2, or GC ISO/roms?

are you aware how BIG Xbox, PS2 or GC iso/roms are?
and if they were available, any good emulators to play them on the first place?
Dark Samurai
Level 8: Amarante

Level 8: Amarante

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think emulator-zone.com is a good site for them, them emulators at least.

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Axe Kazama wrote:
Deathpit wrote:

are you aware how BIG Xbox, PS2 or GC iso/roms are?
and if they were available, any good emulators to play them on the first place?

Of course, I know about those sizes but there's few emulators available to use in modded xbox to play all kind of games. Expect modded xboxs are not allowed in Xbox Live since it scanning for specified parts. From what I heard, few persons start to work on DS emulators.

I downloaded lot of N64 roms but I found no emulator to play N64 roms in 100% images. Goldeneye 64 and Perfect Dark look crap on my computer. I have trouble with video settings... So I went out and grab REAL N64 cartridges with cheap price tags. I enjoy them more than roms and emulators. BTW, I dont have problems with zsnesw does fine with roms. If it's GB or GBA games, I'll buy them after try out them as roms. That's I do with N64 roms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: