TerraEarth Forums

The best defense is a good offense is a good defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:29 am   Post subject: The best defense is a good offense is a good defense Reply with quote

Not really intended much as a serious discussion, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. And meh, maybe it could get some actual thought. Meh/Worried

I've heard it said that the best defense is a good offense. And also, that the best offense is a good defense.

So which one do you go with? Suppose you're in a fight; do you focus on defense (thus improving your offense), or on offense (favouring defense)?

Or do you take a third option, where the best offense is the other guy having a shitty defense? That could work. Meh/Worried

No, I don't know what I was thinking when I made the thread. I'm operating on a lack of sleep.

And also, Batman on a cake.

arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why choose? It's all about balance. You gotta know the right time to attack and defend, and you'll do fine.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tactics should be your offense and defense.

in a direct fight however, it's all about the bigger "aggression potential".

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
tactics should be your offense and defense.

in a direct fight however, it's all about the bigger "aggression potential".

Not always true. Being aggressive doesn't mean you'll win. I've been in alot of fights in my time, and I was never the aggressive one. I also wasn't the one on the ground with a broken nose and missing teeth either. You just gotta be smart about it.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this video online of this skinny-ass white guy, all up in this fat guys face. He's pushing him around, yelling and screaming. Finally, white-trash decides to throw a punch. Fat guys raises both hands in a martial artist pose. Next you know,white trash is on the ground.

Doesn't honestly matter between either. It's what you know, and how hard you work at it, that wins a fight. All the strength in the world can't stop one well placed blow to the nose.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Nurdof
Level 10: Dark Bat

Level 10: Dark Bat

Gems 71,096

PostNurdof Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of this, I was threatened one time by a friend, and he accused me of hacking his account on this popular game we play. I told him I didn't do anything to hack his account; of course he didn't believe me.

He's a boxer, and I'm a yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do. Now, who would you think is more likely to win in a fight? Probably him. But him and I are friends again, so everything is fine now.
Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

being on the attack gives you the advantage in most situations. yes it can go wrong but a GOOD attack is definetly a great defense as well. specifically in RTS games, if you get a strong attack going they struggle to survive and chances arise for you such as map control, building a better economy and knowledge of what the enemy has. also in chess i find attacking is a + for similar reasons. just dont fail ><
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd concentrate on the defense. i'm practicing aikido and it's way different to the other stuff i did before (tae kwon do and jiu jitsu).

of course, beeing in a real fight its always about who has the better reflexes. it doesnt matter if you can deal out devastating punches if you hit the ground first because the other guy was faster.
also, its mostly not a one-on-one thing. there're also his friends and suddenly, you are facing like 3 to 7 guys. what the hell do you do? standing you ground? run? trying to talk things out?

my old jiu sensei always told us: "dont be stupid enough to set the first blow. you already lost that way." i guess he means that if you keep your temper and try to avoid physical contact as much as possible (you know what i mean), you'll hardly be in the position of a beat-up. well, nowadays there are situations like "hey i dont like your face, lets fix it". there's no talking right there.

next thing: a few weeks ago i was told the legal situation of who-sues-who when one of the guys knows any martial art. my current sensei told me a story about one of his disciples. this guy was at a bar and 3 skinheads were fooling around (badly) with the waitress. he went up to them and told them to stop. what happens? one pulls a switchblade and the other a chain.
so this guy sees himself facing 3 skinheads, 2 of them armed.

a few weeks later, he's at the courtyard, almost getting imprisoned because he sent all of them flying over the bar. he escaped the sentence very closly because he had like 4 other guys testifying that he told the skinheads that he knows how to defend himself and that attacking him would be a very bad idea (and he told them more than once).

WTF? THREE FUCKING SKINHEADS! ARMED! AND I AM ALONE! AND I CANNOT DO SHIT TO THEM BECAUSE I KNOW A MARTIAL ART AND THEY DONT?

... ahem. i got a bit sidetracked... anyway, to sum things up: go for the defense Very Happy

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Dark_Gaia

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess it varies as both methods do work in different situations. i suppose there is no right or wrong answer on such an open generalised theory.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken wrote:
my old jiu sensei always told us: "dont be stupid enough to set the first blow. you already lost that way."

my friends old father, a lawyer, always told us: "don't be stupid enough to set the first blow. you're already in prison that way." Laughing

I still think aggression potential and expirience is the most important. I had a friend once, who was very small, and often had fights when he was drunk. he seemed weak, so many provoked him, always ending in him instantly beating them ruthlessly with all force he could bring up. he almost always won, and was considered very dangerous. I once asked him how he does that, and he answered: "I just think about killing my opponent. the whole time, I just think, "Die!"".

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a nice guy! haha..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: