TerraEarth Forums

The popularity of vampires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 am   Post subject: The popularity of vampires Reply with quote

I honestly don't understand it.

With the Twilight movies and whatnot, vampires seem to be enjoying a massive surge in popularity, especially among women. Well, that is to say, teenage girls.

But I don't get it. Confused

I'll be honest, I've never seen anything related to Twilight (nor do I have the interest to do the research), but it's my understanding that their take on vampires is generally spray-on-tan teenage guys without shirts. And something about them sparkling? Anyway, a much more.... I guess 'effeminate' version of vampires than I remember learning about as a kid.

Do vampires not suck people's blood and kill them? Repelled by garlic, killed by daylight, stake in the heart, and all that? What makes these new vampires so alluring (other than the obvious 'teenage guys with no shirts' thing)?

Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

haha your observations are right except for the spray on tan theyre still uber white. but they just made all the vampires all these pretty boys. i saw a good shirt once, bit rude so dont read on if u will get offended lol. edit if u want mods. it said i like vampires that suck blood not di** ahhaha made me lol
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Twilight. Ew.

Anyway, I have no idea what the allure is anymore, but I think it's got to do with OMG VAMPIRES ARE LIKE EDWARD CULLEN! now. I'd love to show them Nosferatu and go NO YOU BIMBOS.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal is mostly in irony. The fact that these mythological beings are living ordinary lives.

Now don't get me wrong, I love that sort of irony. But with Twilight, I think they took it a bit too far. They tried to make a teenage romance out of a vampire story. And while that isn't immediately bad, it seems that the classic threat to vampires, the Catholic church, has been removed entirely.

Suddenly, no one is hunting these creatures. The climactic threat that they face is whittled down to daily stress and awkward moments. That's the problem I have with it. What any good vampire story needs is one of the following: Van Helsing, Blade, Belmont, or Alucard.

Twilight is missing that.

Oh, and the sparkle thing? Apparently when a vampire is hit directly by sunlight, he solidifies into crystal rather than bursting into flames. Which is kinda cool, I guess, but makes much less sense than the whole spontaneous combustion bit.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tay120n64 wrote:
The appeal is mostly in irony. The fact that these mythological beings are living ordinary lives.

Now don't get me wrong, I love that sort of irony. But with Twilight, I think they took it a bit too far. They tried to make a teenage romance out of a vampire story. And while that isn't immediately bad, it seems that the classic threat to vampires, the Catholic church, has been removed entirely.

Suddenly, no one is hunting these creatures. The climactic threat that they face is whittled down to daily stress and awkward moments. That's the problem I have with it. What any good vampire story needs is one of the following: Van Helsing, Blade, Belmont, or Alucard.

Twilight is missing that.

Oh, and the sparkle thing? Apparently when a vampire is hit directly by sunlight, he solidifies into crystal rather than bursting into flames. Which is kinda cool, I guess, but makes much less sense than the whole spontaneous combustion bit.

Oh no, they have the Vampire Order after them because Edward DARES to love a human girl and they don't drink human blood.

They don't solidify into crystal, they just sparkle. Sad They're free to move around in the sun, but instead they ~*sparkle*~.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Oh no, they have the Vampire Order after them because Edward DARES to love a human girl and they don't drink human blood.

They don't solidify into crystal, they just sparkle. Sad They're free to move around in the sun, but instead they ~*sparkle*~.

So...

The vampires are after their own kind? No Holy War?

Yeah. Fuck that.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, pretty much! "Oh you're not doing what vampires should! WE MUST KILL YOU."

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

the shirt made me lol.

and it is all about twilight and how OMGROMANTIC edward cullen is. lets face it - he's a bloody stalker. and the girls love it.

which prompts the question, if a guy were to break into a girl's house and watch her sleep, and she woke up and called the cops, would 'edward did it' be a good enough excuse?
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe its something different:

some of you guys may know what YAOI is... for those of you who dont: its a manga with male, homosexual characters.

now this edward guy does not have the straightest appearance ive ever seen, does he? and yes, i did see the first movie. i didnt know anything about the story i just saw it was hyped so i thought "meh, why not".

so where was i? oh yea, yaoi...

these yaoi were especially made for girls (well, surprise, surprise). and from what i saw, they were pretty much popular among manga reading girls.

also, all this vampire stuff has such an affection to the wallflowers. staying up all night, doing whatever you want, nobody will be mean to you or youll kill him, ... you get the point.
and lets not forget about the gothics or wannabes. depressed girls who need a new hero of their dreams: TADA, i present to you, TWILIGHT!

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

economy sucks: vampires
economy is good: frankenstein

heard someone talking about this phenomenom on TV. something about people longing for eternal beautiness along with an absurd amount of weaknesses as seen in vampires. didn't watch to the end, so don't ask me why frankenstein is popular when the economy works Confused

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
economy sucks: vampires
economy is good: frankenstein

heard someone talking about this phenomenom on TV. something about people longing for eternal beautiness along with an absurd amount of weaknesses as seen in vampires. didn't watch to the end, so don't ask me why frankenstein is popular when the economy works Confused

because with a booming economy, it becomes easier for mad scientists to buy the materials needed to build their own zombie.
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha so theres only ever been 1 boom in an economy since the begginning of time i guess. i hate the girl off twilight shes such a bitch. i watched the movie n she just ignores all her 'friends' the entire time yet they still try to be her friend. yeah right
Mantaray
Level 14: Chariot

Resident

Gems 6,635

PostMantaray Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

well the whole story is just one big mary sue, and that is what usually suckers people into liking it. and i guess another thing is that a lot of things that happen there is stuff that a lot of readers can relate to, like moving in with various relatives that live far away and childhood friends n stuff. dont ask me why the rest is all "OOOOH BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE LIKE ON FRUITS BASKET!! :O OOOOH CHILDHOOD FRIENDS WITH SEXUAL TENSION THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!"

the only thing i like about twilight is that bella is from arizona. and i live there. GO ARIZONA!!!!! xD
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

sora-mage wrote:
well the whole story is just one big mary sue

+1

its what happens when someone with little artistic creativity tries to write a book... or 4. generic characters who are all too perfect for their own good, and people who dont like them very much for it.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken wrote:
maybe its something different:

some of you guys may know what YAOI is... for those of you who dont: its a manga with male, homosexual characters.

now this edward guy does not have the straightest appearance ive ever seen, does he? and yes, i did see the first movie. i didnt know anything about the story i just saw it was hyped so i thought "meh, why not".

so where was i? oh yea, yaoi...

these yaoi were especially made for girls (well, surprise, surprise). and from what i saw, they were pretty much popular among manga reading girls.

also, all this vampire stuff has such an affection to the wallflowers. staying up all night, doing whatever you want, nobody will be mean to you or youll kill him, ... you get the point.
and lets not forget about the gothics or wannabes. depressed girls who need a new hero of their dreams: TADA, i present to you, TWILIGHT!

Well of course yaoi is popular. It's two really hot guys banging. It's why in roleplay people get slashed together so they can have hot guy sex. It's what two chicks banging is for girls, only with guys.

Twilight and the whole vampire thing is just... I don't even know, though. :/

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: