TerraEarth Forums

Old News is New News to me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Spam Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm   Post subject: Old News is New News to me Reply with quote

Here's some food for thought;

"On August 5, 1987, Broderick was in Northern Ireland, vacationing with Grey, when his rented BMW veered into the wrong lane on a country road in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh and smashed head-on into a car driven by Anna Gallagher, 30. She and her mother, Margaret Doherty, 63, died instantly.

Broderick spent four weeks in a Belfast hospital with a fractured leg and ribs, collapsed lung and concussion. Grey suffered minor injuries.

Broderick told authorities he had no recollection of the crash and did not know why he was in the wrong lane. "I don't remember the day. I don't remember even getting up in the morning. I don't remember making my bed. What I first remember is waking up in the hospital, with a very strange feeling going on in my leg," he said at the time.[15]

Broderick was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and faced a prison term of up to five years. He was later convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving and fined $175. The victims' family called the case "a travesty of justice.""

...175 dollars is all two lives are worth compared to Ferris Bueller? Jeez.

Anyone esle here have stories of celebrities who've committed crimes and merely got a slap on the wrist? OJ Simpson comes to mind.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

At least OJ was sentenced this time.

The first time, he had quite a few people defending him, saying he was framed. When he got in trouble again (armed robbery), people could see him for what he is. Now he's generally seen as the criminal that got away the first time.

33 years for armed robbery (though a chance for parole after 9, which he'll probably get).

Here's a little something taken from Lindsay Lohan's Wikipedia page (important details bolded):

Wikipedia wrote:
On August 23, 2007, Lohan pleaded guilty to cocaine use and driving under the influence and was sentenced to one day in jail and 10 days community service. She was also ordered to pay fines and complete an alcohol education program, and was placed on three years probation. "It is clear to me that my life has become completely unmanageable because I am addicted to alcohol and drugs," Lohan said in a statement.[163] On November 15, 2007, Lohan served only 84 minutes in jail. A sheriff spokesman cited overcrowding and the nonviolent nature of the crime as reasons for the reduced sentence.[164] The probation was extended with an additional year in October 2009, following several instances of Lohan failing to attend the court ordered substance abuse treatment classes.[165]

That is bullshit.

One day in jail, a week and a half of community service, a few fines, and probation. For drunk driving and cocaine possession. If that had been any of the non-famous, unwashed riffraff, what would they have gotten? A few years in jail? At the very least.

And when she does report to jail (for her ONE DAY sentence), she's released in less than an hour and a half. "Overcrowding", they said. What a waste of time. A one day jail sentence, and she gets it reduced.

And to top it off, she doesn't show up for her substance abuse treatment classes. Any regular shlub would have been sent back to jail for that. She gets an extra year of probation tacked on.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not when they can pay a shit-ton of money to the state. Very Happy

And I think OJ forced his hand when they were two minutes away from publishing his book "If I Did It." Karma is a bitch. And I doubt he was convicted for that crime, anyway. Guarantee half that jury put him away for the murders.

Here's one;

"One of Canada's most infamous female convicts, Karla Homolka, was released from prison after serving a short 12-year sentence for her involvement in drugging, raping, torturing and killing young girls over a decade ago. The dead teens included her own young sister whose innocence was offered by Homolka to her boyfriend as a gift."

I read this story years ago. From what I remember, they got together, and were going to get married. She told him she was a virgin, but she lied. So he told her she needed to make it "Right." She had worked at a vet, and stole some tranquilzers. Tranked, the sister, and offered her up to her boyfriend. She didn't have a pulse. She was pronounced dead. This was Christmas morning.

They went on a raping spree for a few years- grabbing girls getting off a bus. A few of them remember someone with a video camera taping the rape. This is important later.

Two seperate girls were kidnapped and held, and repeatedly raped. Both were also video taped. Both went missing- presumed murdered by these nuts. This is where the story gets fuzzy- somehow they are both captured by the law. The wife takes a plea deal- twelve years for the crimes, claiming she was a battered wife, with a controlling and domineering husband.

The husband called his lawyer, told him to go to his home, get these videoes, and destroy them. The lawyer struggled hard with this decision- his client, or the law. Better judgment prevailed. He watched one video, and turned the rest over to the prosecution. It featured vile acts so horrible and disturbing, after the initial trial was over, the tapes were destroyed.

However, they did reveal one major clue; they had made a deal with the devil. The wife not only participated in the acts, as shown in the video, she did so willingly. She got off with essentially a slap on the wrist- 12 years for multiple rapes and two homicides?

She went to a minimal security institution for women, became a lesbian. During her tenth year, photos surfaced on the internet. They featured her, and other inmates, partying at the prison with champange. She was sent to a "real" prison for the duration of her sentenced. She has since been released, and is in hiding from "persecution."

Is it fair to give someone a deal, later find out they were involved, and then keep to the deal? I think it's bull, and if you ask me, they both should've received a needle for their depraved indifference for human life. If you're interested, look up her name. There's other sites with more details on the crime.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You want travesty of justice. Look at American politics. Mr. Green

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone in Canada knows the names Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.

Bernardo, at least, is unlikely to ever be released. He was designated a 'dangerous offender'. Personally, I think a few bullets are cheaper than keeping him in prison.

Homolka, on the other hand, is free as a bird.

She got out after 12 years for a plea bargain, where she testified against Bernardo. People weren't happy about that to begin with.

When she was released, she had several restrictions against her; she couldn't change her name, she had to report to police every so often, she couldn't associate with certain people, etc.

Then a judge overturned all of that, because she "probably" won't reoffend. Last I know, she left the country (she would never get a moment's peace in this country) for the Caribbean with her new husband and son (yes, the vile creature had a baby).

Two possibilities: either the child grows up, learns who his mother really is, and comes to despise her as a normal person does, or we have another generation of rapist/murderer offspring.

SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured you might have heard about that. Not alot of people in the States here too much about crime in Canada- me, on the other hand, had a good six months where I got hardcore into criminology, read up on several different crimes, including this one, some more famous serial killers, like Zodiac, BTK (Dennis Rader) and so on. I'm not sure why, but criminology is so facinating to me.
This User Has Completed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Spam Central All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: