TerraEarth Forums

The Marvelous Text Adventure: 1st Arc
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 pm   Post subject: The Marvelous Text Adventure: 1st Arc Reply with quote

So I have this idea for a new game involving Text Adventures. For those unaware, a Text Adventure is an older style of Adventure game in which everything that happens is described via text, and you make decisions and perform tasks by choosing between text options or typing your own response. So what I am essentially proposing is a Text Adventure in which you, the community, choose how the story progresses. Sometimes there will be only a few choices, other times you can suggest anything your wildest imagination can dream. There will also be occasional puzzles which will award GEMs to the poster with the correct response.

So I'm going to go ahead and get things started, and if it takes off it does, if not then, "oh, well."

The Marvelous Text Adventure!

1st Arc: The Legend Begins!

Long ago in the land of TerraEarth there existed a Kingdom with a King who was just and true. In his benevolence, the land prospered and many people were very happy. Years passed and as the King grew older he decided it was time to name a successor. Having no sons and only one daughter, he needed a man who was strong and honorable. It was decided then, that a Knight's Tournament would be held, the victors of which would be given an opportunity to prove their honor and succeed the King. After months of preparation the victors stood before the King and a throne room full of people. The King spoke:

"You ten that stand before me are among the strongest knights in the land. You have proven your strength, but now you must prove your honor, and in addition, your wits."

The Knights looked at each other, bewildered as to what he meant by wits.

"As you spend the next year journeying across the fair land of Kingdom, not only will you be charged with helping its citizens, but you must also avoid traps along the way that my aids will set for you."

Just then, a noise could be heard coming from the ceiling. Looking upward, one of the Knights noticed the chandelier shaking violently.

"The chandelier is about to fall!"

The Knights scrambled out of the way, save for one lone Knight, who was busy tying the laces on his metal boots. As he stood up, he looked over at the other Knights who were several meters away from him.

"What are you all...?"

*CRASH!*

The King addressed the audience in the throne room.

"So! Who wants to take his place?"

The Princess whispers in her father's ear, pointing at a rather squalid man standing at the front of the audience as she does. The King addresses him:

"You there! The squalid man standing at the front of the audience! Step forward and speak your name!"

The man, rather nervous, steps forward.

"My name is Text, your majesty."

Though the man is nervous, he speaks with a firm voice. Straightening himself out, he looks the King directly in the eyes. This pleases the King. The King motions the Captain of the Guard to come to him.

"Give this man a sword. Then see that he is outfitted for his journey."

The King turns back toward the Knights, who are now joined by Text.

"You are now ready for your journey. One of you ten will succeed me as King. Good Luck."

As the Knights turn, the King signals for Text to step forward. The King presents Text with a sword, and dubs him Temp Knight Text.

Exclamation Text has just received a sword. It can cut stuff, stab things, and is also good for killing. It would be wise to thank the King for such a useful gift. But then again, it is a sword. And his mission is to succeed the King. What should Text do?

A) Thank the King and follow the Captain to the Armory for supplies.
B) Thank the King and leave the Castle
C) Thank the King and go fight a Dragon
D) Pick Text's nose with the sword
E) Stab the King

Whichever choice gets the most votes will determine how the story progresses! Exclamation

Last edited by tay120n64 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

one quick question. are we voting via pm or posts. im assuming pm so thats where my first vote is going.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, its just reply based. Got your PM, though, so that's one for "Stab the King"

I'll let some other people voice their opinions before I continue on, though.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Kurtless
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 43

PostKurtless Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I want option A, please Very Happy

My comics site! Check it out!
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

stabbing the king seems like a one-way road to ending the story.

so ill do the passive thing and vote A) for now.
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as I'm seduced to stab the king, I'm a world of warcraft player, so let's go to the armory and greed epics Very Happy

A)
Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 12,559

PostOcie Denver Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Option E seems too sinister and hell going loose if a knight did it. So, I take the Option A.
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I say E! Very Happy

EDIT: And hey, it's good to see someone do sth. like this apart from Jason Wink

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as of now the votes are tied:

3 - Stab the King

3 - Follow Captain to the Armory

Oh, and just so everyone is clear, Option E will not end the story, but both of these options will progress it in completely different directions, naturally. Don't worry about killing Text and ending the story abruptly. Even really stupid choices may not necessarily lead to his death. Wink

@Blade: Thanks. I was thinking about taking over his Hang-Man game, but then I thought I'd just do something new.

I'll let it sit for two more hours so the tie can be broken, and if not, I'll choose between the two myself. Very Happy

EDIT: Well, I misread that and the votes are in fact majority for Option A, so I'll post the second part within the hour.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marvelous Text Adventure!

1st Arc: The Legend Begins!

Chapter 2: The Armory

No. It would be no good to stab the King. He is a King after all. He'll probably stab back. And it would be difficult to be a strong King with holes in you. Text thanks the King for the beautiful sword and follows the Captain to the Armory.

"Welcome to the Royal Armory, Pseudo-Sir Text! Please look around and pick out anything you think you may need."

Text looks around the room. There are daggers, throwing knives, a mace, pouches of money, various types of armor, a lucky rabbit's foot, parchment and ink, an owlery, books, and more. Text is rather overwhelmed by it all and decides to ask the Captain for help.

"Though I have some training in the way of the sword, I am afraid that adventuring is not one of my strong points."

The Captain looks at him and grins.

"As to be expected from a Temp Knight. Allow me to suggest some things then."

Text is outfitted with light, but sturdy clothing, new leather boots and gauntlets, and chain-mail.

"The chain-mail here is the finest Kingdom has to offer."

Indeed, the mail is sturdy yet light. Text feels a bit more confident now and decides to grab a dagger and a money pouch filled with 100GEMs. As he walks away he notices the Rabbit's Foot again and decides to grab it as well. Though Text is not the superstitious type, you never know when a lucky rabbit's foot might come in handy. Text returns to the Captain.

"Very well then. I see you are modest and responsible, taking only what you feel you need. Allow me to provide you with a horse. I will meet you at the edge of town when you are prepared to depart."

Text thanks Captain and makes his way out of the Castle and into the Castle Town. There are merchants lining the main street.

Exclamation Text, being modest and responsible, is outfitted for his journey at last. But perhaps there is more he can do. You never know what sort of peril one might meet on an adventure. How should Text spend the remainder of the morning before he departs?

A) Purchase supplies from local merchants
B) Inquire about a Squire
C) Have a drink at a local Pub
D) Make bold proclamations in the center of town
E) Take a nap at the edge of town until Captain arrives

So! What should Text do? Exclamation

Last edited by tay120n64 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

B) we might need support Very Happy

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

C. All kinds of interesting folks gather at the pub.

EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

C, lets all have a drink
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to vote with the crowd but c really does sound good
Blade
Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 8,496

PostBlade Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

A), maybe the merchants have some interesting stuff the armoury didn't have.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Contests and Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: