TerraEarth Forums

Why would someone do that?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:44 pm   Post subject: Why would someone do that? Reply with quote

I was going to put this in another forum, but thought maybe the debate forum would be best, since there may be some actual discussion about people's motivations.

Have you ever seen anyone do something that you just can't wrap your head around? It may not be objectively stupid, but to you, it's something that no rational person should be doing. This won't be limited to just actions, but beliefs as well.

NOW: I'm allowing beliefs to be included (as much as I can 'allow' anything) because I think we're all responsible enough to not take cheap shots at the easy targets, like religion and whatnot. There are enough threads in this forum discussing that already... I just didn't want to limit what people can talk about. If you have a legitimate point, be sure you can back it up (though it may be best to avoid it altogether).

Anyway, my first question:

Why would someone willingly smoke cigarettes? I realize they provide a means of relaxing, but the negative effects are hardly a secret any more, so why would someone start in the first place?

A few days ago, a co-worker of mine showed up to work having forgot his cigarettes at home. Within 4 hours, his hands were shaking, and he couldn't focus on his work (he wound up making up some bullshit excuse to leave early).

I couldn't imagine living like that; so dependent on something that you literally can't function after a few hours without it. And you would think the fact that it kills you would serve as some kind of deterrent, but it doesn't. People are all too happy to start.

It's a massive money-sink that will send you to an early grave. What's the payoff? Is there some other positive that I'm not seeing?

What can you just not understand?

Lenc
Art Monkey

Level 11: Worlock

Resident

Gems 8,348

PostLenc Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a smoker for one. It isnt because I actually enjoy it. Many may claim its for enjoyment or that they smoke willingly.

But its neither of that. Once you start and your body gets used to it it will eventually start demanding it. Therefor its an addiction (which of course is caused by nicotine). The problem lies with the fact that once you are addicted the hardships that come with stopping are not easy. Also if you had been addicted to smoking it can only take 2 to 3 cigarrettes again to restart your addiction.

And how peope start with smoking is quite easy. They are either curious, wanted to be cool (which it was back then for some stupid reason), peer pressure or maybe liking the taste (which I find hard to believe. I never heard of someone actually enjoying smoking the first time).

This together does make me understand I did something stupid. But then again quitting isnt really a walk in the park mentally and physicly. (some tests have even proven that quitting makes you go through the same progress of quitting a harddrug; which I doubt) I have never found myself a good relaxing week or 2 to quit.

STEAM: Lenc Chroso
BNET: Blindeduif#2260
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenc wrote:

And how peope start with smoking is quite easy. They are either curious, wanted to be cool (which it was back then for some stupid reason), peer pressure or maybe liking the taste (which I find hard to believe. I never heard of someone actually enjoying smoking the first time).

those are the main reasons i can think of why people would start smoking.

i dont smoke cigarettes (never have, never intend to), but i will enjoy the occasional cigar. i dont know if they are addictive, but ive only ever smoked twice. and they were far apart. thing with those, the taste of them is actually pleasant, and you dont inhale the shit.

the thing that i like least about smokers are the insensitive of the lot who decide its a great idea to smoke outside in public places and blow the smoke right out where a large mob of people have no choice but to walk through it and breathe it. one of these days i had a throat infection, and walked through someones cigarette cloud, i literally found it difficult to breathe.

yes, i dont know what would make people smoke (one of my friends went through a phase where he was heaps into soldiers, guns and whatnot, thats how he got started on them), but i know plenty of people who are considerate and do their best not to exhale the smoke into a crowd of people, or someones face
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand the smell. I've actually got a nasty cough that will not leave due to my ex's parents smoking a pack a day and it just filtered through the house and it's now all caught in my lungs. Smile But the smell makes me vomit after a while, it's disgusting. I scold my dad a lot for smoking, too. I mean, smoking might be a good stress reliever, but so is a lot of things (and no, I don't mean alcohol. >|).

I'm addicted to caffeine (haha what a surprise, right?) but I only get a nasty headache the first two days I don't drink it, and then it's back to normal. I can't drink it while I'm sick (and when I had my wisdom teeth out) so it was hell those first two days, but I'm not so hard up for it that I start shaking. o.O

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Miss Prime Blue
Prime Blue

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 3,213

PostMiss Prime Blue Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate cigarette smoke. Absolutely hate it. The way it looks, smells, and all of the wonderful health benefits that go along with it.

Why would they smoke? well, it's addictive, and for the same reasons why people engage in other addictive behaviors. It's relaxing, a way to relieve stress, a bad habit, all of the above.

There are many other things I cannot wrap my mind around. Sometimes, I try not to, for fear i'll just get a massive headache from the stupidity.

People live on because they forget about unpleasant things.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand how people can think 9/11 was an inside job. Or any other conspiracy theory for that matter.

South Park said it best:

"Is wrong of me to ask questions?
Is it wrong to seek the truth?
I can't blindly accept their version.
I can't base my logic on proof."

There is overwhelming evidence pointing out why these conspiracy theorists are wrong, I just can't get it. (And no offense to conspiracy theorists on the board, I'm sure we have a couple).

Rest in peace, old avatar.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, I don't understand anything just now, I'm still so absolutely wasted

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:

nice! maybe ill be within range of a computer next saturday, and ill drunk-post too
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

haha funny u made this post freedan. my cousin whos 24 just recently took up smoking. for no reason
he just said oh i smoke now. theres no logic to it lol its just like u say, something u cant wrap ur head around. why do it? theres no reason and its deadly. i dont get it.
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
psychokind wrote:

nice! maybe ill be within range of a computer next saturday, and ill drunk-post too

I'm not / wasn't drunk, just totally destroyed. carnival hit me hard, and I was unprepared
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh 2 bad alcohol is fun
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i once heard about a book, written by a former chain smoker and uni professor. on the first pages, he writes something like "i dont think smokers are weak-minded persons. actually, they are the most strong-minded persons i can come up with. think about your first cigarette. it was horrible. and yet you are still smoking. you pulled it through."

the guy who told me about the book also said that while reading it, you feel like a complete idiot. furthermore, the author tells you not to try to quit smoking before or while reading. he advises to keep smoking like normal. you will stop after finishing the book anyway.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Lenc
Art Monkey

Level 11: Worlock

Resident

Gems 8,348

PostLenc Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

How does he do it? Confused

STEAM: Lenc Chroso
BNET: Blindeduif#2260
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
I can't understand how people can think 9/11 was an inside job. Or any other conspiracy theory for that matter.

I was coming home from work once, and someone was standing on a street corner holding a sign "9/11 truth now".

If I hadn't been in a hurry to get home that day, I would probably have stopped to tell him he was batshit insane.

chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, step down a little, would you?

i also am one of those who listens to conspiracy theories (though i do not believe all of them). its just... well, fun, somehow. it gives you another POV and eventually, its always up to you what you believe and what not.

around here, its quite hard to get any information about 9/11 at all. well, we had that moore film "fahrenheit 9/11" on tv (once) but yea, thats about it. i saw "loose change" like 4 times (we also watched it as part of a lecture at university) and another german movie called "under false flag".

but i never came across information that really explained why the theories about an inside job should be wrong. so, please, give me information. otherwise you should rethink how you talk about people who believe in such stuff. i dont actually count myself to those people (because apart from the official story, i never saw or heard anything that would state that the conspiracy theories are wrong), but i think it could be possible. i dont know what really happened and you dont know what really happened. its just about which side comforts you more.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: