TerraEarth Forums

What do people say that drives you crazy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

sry tay but i rarely use grammar. im actually really good at english/spelling/grammar, im just lazy ><
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i try to use proper grammar, to the point where i use unnecessarily long words in sentences that could have otherwise been very simple. however, i do write some words in shorthand. and i only use capitalisation when i have to. which is only when i have to write a report, a job application or something else for uni or somewhere important. the way i see it, no meaning is lost in a lack of capital letters for proper nouns or the first word of a sentence.

also, on this note, i really hate it when people type lyk dis cuz its so kewl.

it drives me insane to no end. honestly, is it really worth broadcasting to everyone on msn and facebook that you have the intelligence of a 10-year-old, just to save typing one extra letter?

another thing, poor use of apostrophes and your/you're irritates me. although it does amuse me sometimes when i see a post somewhere "OMG YOUR STUPID". my stupid what? or "there are cat's on the roof" Duh!

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I find it takes more effort to type like that (using shortforms and such) than it would to just type out the word. I have to focus so much on typing the word 'properly' with missing letters, that it would just be faster to do it right. Meh/Worried

Dark_Gaia

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont. in heated conversations i often cut my words down, such as dont turns into dnt and 'and' turns into 'n'. i dont think its fair to categorise people as unintelligent because they dont type in proper english. thats a bit pompus.
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark_Gaia wrote:
i dont. in heated conversations i often cut my words down, such as dont turns into dnt and 'and' turns into 'n'. i dont think its fair to categorise people as unintelligent because they dont type in proper english. thats a bit pompus.

id say its more when they go out of their way to type like retards. nothing wrong with shorthand, as long as its easily decipherable.
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,507

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark_Gaia wrote:

I'm cool with it usually, as long as I know what's said. It could be worse, it could be the ALL CAPS ALL THE TIME BECAUSE I CAN'T TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK. It's fine for shits and giggles (I do it a lot, I'm sure you've noticed), but I think I'd go bonkers seeing a full post with nothing but caps. Sad

I think what they mainly mean is when it delves into net/text speak. I usually only do the "no capitalization" in IMs, because I get lazy. What you say has the intelligence in there (I have no doubts you're damn smart), it's just... everyone else that "talks liek this 4 evry1" sort of deal. Cutting down words is fine, but I can't stand the other one. Sad

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Dark_Gaia

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough then. i guess its just somethin that never really bothered me lol. i reaaaly hate it when people send me annoying animation winks and stuff over msn but. especially when im in the middle of playin a game and it glitches and u can see a ghostly apparition of a wink appearing through the game screen lol
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally remembered the verbal slip that gets to me.

When people say "I could care less" when they really mean "I couldn't care less".

arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

People who complain how their life is SOO terrible due to trivial things, and then get mad at me when I "couldn't care less" (ah,ah, see what I did there Wink)

Let me put this into perspective.

I am 20 years old. I was kicked out of my house when I was 17. I lived on the streets for a week. I graduated from high school when I was 19, while living in an emergency shelter. And none of that GED (General Education Diploma, I don't know if they use the same name in the US or whatever) crap, I got my actual High School Diploma. I was waking up at 5 in the morning every day, because it was a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to get to my school. This wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact I wasn't even allowed in my room until 11 pm. Even with all this, I was maintaining a mid 80 average.

So you can imagine how many times I wanted to kick kids in the teeth for complaining about something trivial. But ooh man. Nothing is worse for me then having to hear about some grade 9 or 10 complain about how their parents are oppressive nazis (yes, they call their parents NAZIS) because they had a curfew of like 11pm.. on a SCHOOL DAY. I did get a degree of satisfaction for telling off a bunch of grade 9 kids once, to the point where whenever I passed them in the halls they were visibly afraid of me.

I could go on forever, but I think I'll stop here for now. I have a lot of issues with people, let's just leave it at that.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, new one.

For the love of God people, it's "Hara Kiri" (pronounced "HAR-a-KEER-ee"), not "Harry Carry". Biting

Just call it 'Seppuku', it's easier to pronounce.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,507

Postinferiare Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Ok, new one.

For the love of God people, it's "Hara Kiri" (pronounced "HAR-a-KEER-ee"), not "Harry Carry". Biting

Oh good christ THIS. I think the only Japanese word that doesn't make me RAEG every time I hear it mispronounced is "karaoke" since... well, by default I say "kareyokey". But the Hari Kiri thing does irritate me.

By extension, the stupid anime fanbrats who have to insert every Japanese word they know into sentences need to die in a fire. "OH LOL THAT WAS SO KAWAII (THAT MEANS CUTE IN JAPANESE)" yfusgyaf JUST SAY "CUTE" THEN, IT WILL NOT KILL YOU. God I want to beat them upside the head with a Japanese grammar book.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what really grinds my gears? People who call you out on something to embarass you, that do the same thing, only worse. Say, for instance, achievements on Xbox. I had some friends help me out on some I had some trouble with, and calls me out on it- the same kid I had to do achivements for in games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero because he lacked the skill to get them.

Thats what Grinds my Gears.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
chicken
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

my roommate recently came up with something that made me go up the wall:

the present my parents gave me for my birthday was some canned food from a low-budget supermarket (revenge for what i gave them for christmas: a sack of potatoes Very Happy). i found that pretty funny because all this is some kind of inside-joke so i happily told her that story and she was like "well, doesnt change anything for you, does it? i mean, your nutrition mostly consists of canned food anyway."

and THAT is a straight LIE. she never sees me cooking because she's always out and stuff so she concludes that i NEVER cook. i honestly was stunned for a few seconds because i couldnt believe what she just said. damn.

well, so the get to the point: people telling you what you do (which is actually not correct).

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Freedan wrote:
Ok, new one.

Oh good christ THIS. I think the only Japanese word that doesn't make me RAEG every time I hear it mispronounced is "karaoke" since... well, by default I say "kareyokey". But the Hari Kiri thing does irritate me.

By extension, the stupid anime fanbrats who have to insert every Japanese word they know into sentences need to die in a fire. "OH LOL THAT WAS SO KAWAII (THAT MEANS CUTE IN JAPANESE)" yfusgyaf JUST SAY "CUTE" THEN, IT WILL NOT KILL YOU. God I want to beat them upside the head with a Japanese grammar book.

mispronounciations tend to irritate me quite a bit. although, i dont tend to correct people too much. if someone mispronounces something, i tend to overlook it pretty quickly.

to be fair, i have never had someone say something like "that is so kawaii" around me. (i do know what means, despite my severely limited knowledge of japanese.
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken wrote:
well, so the get to the point: people telling you what you do (which is actually not correct).

God I hate this. Parents accuse me of always eating every half an hour or an hour, yet I only eat 3 small meals a day while trying hard not to forget the third, with a snack every once in awhile of fruit. Not the healthiest eating habit, but just annoys me that they say and actually believe that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: