TerraEarth Forums

Total BS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Square-Enix still thinks of the fans like they used to or have they changed for the worst?
I think they have changed and do not show as much interest in the fans anymore.
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
I think they have changed but for the better.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I think they are still the same.
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
I'm so mad about this that I'm going to work for them and destory them from the inside!HAhahahahahaha.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I never liked Square-Enix.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Moo?
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

Dark Samurai
Level 8: Amarante

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:54 pm   Post subject: Total BS Reply with quote

Check this out
http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

Some of you may have ran across this, but I thought I would do this for those of you who might be interested and not know anything about it.

I really hate SE for doing this and I no longer want to work for them. The game is totally non-profit but SE is just being childish, they have forgotten the fans and are too focused on demographics and money.

And before anyone starts I know that some mistake will be found in this some where and it will be exploited.

PostGuest Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me Crying or Very sad . I hate SE for that! I have one of the songs they were going to use and its amazing.
Willow
Level 2: Whisp

Level 2: Whisp

Gems 1,000

PostWillow Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that whole project was quite an amazing bit in the works. It's a shame that SE had a royal stick up their asses. That is not the first fan project that's gone under thus far...they don't seem to give too much of a crap about DW/DQ fanprojects thought:

http://www.dqshrine.com/%7Elcrystal/

This is a fan project that I've been working on for...years now (hopefully it'll actually come out this summer, heh). Granted, it's not exactly a REMAKE, but there are a number of Dragon Warrior fangames out there that haven't been silenced by SE for some reason. =/

~ Willow ~

The Original MIDI Archive
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hearing about this. On one hand, SE is out to protect their property. When it comes down to it, SE is just a company out to make money, like any other company.... and if a remake IS ever made, SE would want to be the ones to do it. For money, of course.

On the other hand, this obviously wasn't intended to steal anything from them. Just a game made for the fans.

So I'm conflicted. Confused

Edit: I voted for Moo, by the way. Cool Guy

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for them being the same. I heard about the project, and I was at first pretty mad about it. Then, when I thought about it, while it's not against the law to do things like this in Japan (doujinshi's are a good example) since it's a compliment to the company/person who thought of it, here in the states it's stealing property. SE still has the rights to Chrono Trigger whether we like it or not, and they still own the intellectual property to the game.

While so many fans would have loved this, and I do understand that the people involved in the project were doing this to show how much they loved SE's games, SE still saw it as "They're stealing our game which they don't have the rights to!" so they sent them a cease and desist order. They didn't slap them with a lawsuit, they simply told them "Hey, we know you like the game, but we still own all the rights and such to it. We're not gonna sue cause you haven't done anything quite wrong, but we'd like you to not touch the game like this." type of thing.

Just my opinion, of course. Very Happy

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
blueisalive
Previously known as Aoiga

Level 13: Blood Skeleton

Resident

Gems 1,121

Postblueisalive Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A company's gotta do what a company's gotta do.

I wish the game got remade, really sad it couldn't have, but you have to admit they aren't money makers like they used to be.

I am dissapointed that this happened, but RPG's are out of style and remakes are risky investments.

Yay! I won something!
Thanx raini for the great sigs!
Muerte
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray for Moo!

anyway ... yeah ... i heard about this ages ago ... like most people i was pretty annoyed when i first heard it ... but like they all say ... it is their game, they can choose what they want to do with it, who can remake it etc
arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have lover to see this game 3D. And with a game like this, a remake would be the best thing to do, I would so pay for this game.
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

They are mean.
Dark Samurai

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that SE could of at least tried to work out a deal for the fans, but NOOOO they had to act childish and throw a temper tantrum and there is no one to send them to the corner!
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Samurai wrote:
I feel that SE could of at least tried to work out a deal for the fans, but NOOOO they had to act childish and throw a temper tantrum and there is no one to send them to the corner!

How are they acting childish? They're protecting their property. This is America, not Japan. In America, it's stealing when you do something like this. The copyright license is still in effect for Chrono Trigger (from the remake for the PS1), so SE could have done a lot more than just a cease and desist letter for infringing copyrights.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to say so, but if you were in their place, I'm willing to bet there's a good chance you'd do the same; protect your property. Even if there's no malice intended, you'd want it to stay your property.

I'm sure you're thinking that's not true.... ok, maybe it isn't. But they haven't really done anything wrong. They're looking out for their best interests. If people can use their property to remake games, gamers would have no need to buy their games in the first place; they can get the new version for free from someone else (since the group is non-profit, they won't sell them for cash).

Muerte
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 1,872

PostMuerte Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

a solution to make everyone happy, hire the dudes and let em finish the remake Very Happy
Dark Samurai

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Muerte, that's what i was trying to say. I feel that they could of worked out the deal or something, maybe sold the game to SE, or hired the guys, or something. What I meant by acting childish is the fact that they just put up the cease and desist order.

If some one remade an old game of mine I would of considerd the idea and had a meeting with them. If i liked what I saw then I would make some kind of offer or a deal. If it was bad then a cease and desist order. Point being I would have meet with the guys first and seen what they had to offer.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

SE saw what they had to offer too (sans meeting), and decided to go with the cease and desist. If they were interested, I'm sure they might have considered offering to get involved too, but they decided against it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: