TerraEarth Forums

Canada kicks ass (you too, America)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:13 pm   Post subject: Canada kicks ass (you too, America) Reply with quote

Allow me to brag about my country for a few minutes.

The Winter Olympics are now drawing to a close. From the beginning, Canada's mission was to "own the podium". That is, to win more medals than any other country.

About halfway through, it became obvious that that wasn't going to happen. That honour goes to the U.S., who led the medal count with 37 (setting a record for most medals won by a single country in a Winter Olympics).

But while Canada didn't own the podium, we did own the top step. Canada flew through the last few days of events with a rush of gold medals (including 6 in two days), culminating in a gold medal finish for the final event, men's hockey. In the end, we've finished with 14 gold medals, also setting a record... first, by winning more gold than any host country in Winter Olympics history (the previous record belonging to Norway in 1994 and matched by the U.S. in 2002 with 10), and then by winning the most gold by a single country in a Winter Olympics, with 14 (the old record was 13, set by the Soviet Union in the 1976).

Canada swept the hockey tournaments - men's and women's (which is probably what most Canadians were most interested in). The U.S. took silver in both cases, and in a bit of a twist, the same country (Finland) took bronze in both cases. So the medalists in each tournament were all the same.

For all the petty differences between the two countries, and for all the jabs they may take at each other, it's cool to see them both clean up so well at a global event like this.

Hat's off to you, North America. And to Germany as well, for your 30 medals (second overall). Cool Guy

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of this beeing hellishly exciting. didn't watch it though Very Happy

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of medals! Nice to hear that the event went well despite a couple of horrible setbacks.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Like NBC cutting off the ending ceremony for a new Seinfeld show. What the hell was that about? Mad

The USA has always boasted top athletes, but there were some tight spots this year.

And not to sound too stereotypical, but any American knows we can't hold a candle to you guys on the ice. Very Happy (hockey)

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, I'd be happy to agree about that, and maybe brag a bit too. But things were pretty damn close this year.

In the early rounds of the tournament, the U.S. actually did beat Canada. That forced Canada to play an extra game in order to qualify for the elimination rounds of the tournament. And when they met again in the finals, the U.S. came within inches of spoiling our party.

It wasn't the runaway victory everyone expected by any means. We had a few close calls that very nearly resulted in us going home early.

For the men, anyway. The women, while still challenged by the U.S., generally had an easier time throughout the tournament (but women's hockey isn't as big in most of those other countries).

Russia, once again, showed their usual lack of class throughout the Olympics. They would complain whenever they didn't win something (in one case, complaining because they 'only' won silver), and in one nasty case, one athlete was caught on camera celebrating after a Canadian athlete flipped their sled upside down, taking them out of the running. An athlete flips their sled, they're sliding down a frozen tunnel upside down with the thing on top of them, and this asshole is cheering. Until he realized he was on camera; he tried to save face, and didn't do a good job.

They complained about "only" winning 15 medals, and the country's performance was insulted by their own president. They have the next Winter Olympics in 2014, and just because they regularly show a lack of class on the world stage, I hope to see them embarrassed.

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Russia, once again, showed their usual lack of class throughout the Olympics. They would complain whenever they didn't win something (in one case, complaining because they 'only' won silver), and in one nasty case, one athlete was caught on camera celebrating after a Canadian athlete flipped their sled upside down, taking them out of the running. An athlete flips their sled, they're sliding down a frozen tunnel upside down with the thing on top of them, and this asshole is cheering. Until he realized he was on camera; he tried to save face, and didn't do a good job.

OMG! Can you find a video of that? I have to see that! Eek!

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

http://deadspin.com/5480239/russian-bobsledder-a-little-too-pleased-by-canadian-wipeout

The Russian's reaction is in the last 8 seconds or so.

He goes from "awesome!" to "oh shit, I'm on camera" in about two seconds.

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez what an asshole. Mad
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I understand the russian Very Happy fairness in sport sucks anyways, except soccer Smile

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

psychokind wrote:
haha I understand the russian Very Happy fairness in sport sucks anyways, except soccer Smile

lol, theres so much dodgy stuff in soccer, it's really amusing. gotta love it when entire leagues at a time are rigged.

then again, ive never cared for soccer minus playing it, so all i am aware of is through a couple of my friends with a more than healthy interest in it.
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sensing deja vu for some reason. I feel there was a similar tread like this in the past... where Freedan was speaking about something, and then someone said " Eek! I want to see that video!"

Anyone else get that?

I missed all of the olympics myself. Not my thing, really.
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulBlazerFan wrote:

I missed all of the olympics myself. Not my thing, really.

same here. I'm one of the guys who asks "so do you actually know in which country and city the winter olympics are held?"

a) "no I don't" - Answer: "uneducated fool!"
b) "vancouver, canada" - Answer: "haha faggot, you're watching winter olympics" Laughing

I know, I'm always the only one laughing, but therefore I lough out loud Smile
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

....So was I the only one excited about the Curling medals? Gold for Men's and Silver for Women's... not to shabby for Canada's OTHER other national sport (after hockey and lacrosse)
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to find curling absolutely unwatchable. Right up there with golf.

Then I actually sat and watched a couple of games, and it's really not so bad. It's a slow, deliberate game, and not for everyone, but I can actually watch a game now.

That kind of sucked for the women... a harder shot might have done it for them. But silver is silver.

Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

erm.. did i just hear new seinfeld show?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Interests Board All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: