TerraEarth Forums

B-Game OSTs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 pm   Post subject: B-Game OSTs Reply with quote

I write this as I'm in the process of downloading the OST to Dark Cloud and Ehrgeiz, and I'm wondering what some of your favorite B-Game OSTs are.

You know games that weren't insanely hyped and got only mediocre reviews or some combination thereof.

For me some OSTS that really standout:

1. Dark Cloud- Formulaic, yes, and thematic ad naseum, but I think it had a very refreshing sound, compared to the stuff you usually hear. Like the arabian overtones.

2. Threads of Fate- This game, having two separate stories, showed two faces musically. Cheery, bouncy upbeat music for Mint, and somber, melodic tones for Rue.

3. Star Ocean: The Second Story- Not as much a B-game as these two, but certainly no Final Fantasy. Incredible score.

4. Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy- The game was incredible and the music was doubly so. Too bad the sequels messed it all up. Sad (though Jak II certainly had its moments such as "this baby will put a smile on your face" and the self-referencing joke when they capture the flag).

5. Extermination- Extermination is a game (as my sister puts it) that you can't wait to play... until you start playing it. Then you put down the controller and go "that's such a great game!" The reason is that the gameplay is mediocre, but the ambiance is incredible. And a huge part of this is the music.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Lufia II count? because most people i ask have no clue what it is. although, those who do know what it is generally worship it.

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond the beyond was a pretty mediocre game, but the music is awesome.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:

Oh my god yes THIS. I was fond of the battle theme, but by god that game itself... >:O

Uh... lets see.

The Ar tonelico games (not the Hymmnos Concerts) and Gust games in general. Mana Khemia had some AMAZING music, including one of the BEST final boss fight songs I've ever heard. Even more epic than One-Winged Angel. Yes, I just went there.

Some good music from Gust games I've played recently:
- STIGMATA from Mana Khemia (final boss fight) Sung by the amazing Noriko Mitose. She's known for her vocals in the Ar tonelico series (singing for Shurelia, Jacqli, and the final boss in the third game) and she sung the ending to Chrono Cross (Radical Dreamers ~Without Taking the Jewel)

- Nefertiti from Mana Khemia. This is one of the final story boss fights you encounter (won't spoil it for anyone) and the music is absolutely amazing. There's a vocal version as well, but I like the original the best.

- Blooming Flowers in the Empty Sky from Mana Khemia.

- Wails of the Rain from Mana Khemia.

- Peaceful Song from Ar tonelico. I like this one. Smile Plays in one of the town areas.

- Tick-Tock Man from Ar tonelico. IT PLAYS WHEN LYNER IS BEING A DUMBASS.

- Scars from Ar tonelico. It plays... in one of the Cosmospheres (I think it's Misha's?)

- The Other Side of Memories from Ar tonelico. It plays a lot.

- The Azure Sky from Ar tonelico. Plays when you're on the world map past Platina and nearing the Blastline. I REALLY like this one.

- Dual Voices of Life from Ar tonelico.

- Festival of Faraway Lands from Ar tonelico 2. Plays when you start up Dive Therapy. Very Happy I did Dive Therapy a lot so I could hear it.

- Boy in the Crowd from Ar tonelico 2.

- Like a Clear Sky from Ar tonelico 2.

- Overflow from Ar tonelico 2. Plays in some really terrible parts of the game. Sad

- Emotions from Ar tonelico 2.

- Waterdrop Waltz from Atelier Iris.

- Two Funny People from Atelier Iris. Usually when Klein and Lita are bitching at each other. And come on, best use of a squeak toy in a song. Very Happy

- Eternal Ground from Atelier Iris.

- Sleeping Reality

Non Gust Games:

- Parting Forever from Lost Odyssey. It's composed by Nobuo Uematsu (!) but the game, from what I understand, didn't do very well in Japan. This track makes me very Sad a lot of the time. The scenes associated with it make me sob like a baby. Very Happy Lost Odyssey has some amazing music as it is.

Wild Arms! The original game had some really amazing music, and it got updated in the Alter Code release.

- Alone in the World. The Alter Code: F version is really good too.

- Wh-what? ZED IS AMAZING. YOU SHOULD AGREE.

- Into the Wilderness (or To the End of the Wilderness). The opening music. It's one of my favourite themes from any game. It sets the tone and the mood of the game.

- Lamenting and a Promise (Prologue 2). It had a really nice update in Alter Code, but this is from the 9 minute prologue showing what happened two years prior to the game with Artica burning to the ground and Elmina saving Jack's ass from death. Her speech is really Sad-inducing.

- Oh, Abbey Maiden....

- Warrior's Whistle Boomerang's Theme. Boomerang is just amazing. Alter Code version.

- Determination, and.... One of those tracks... Sad The piano arrange from Feeling Wind is upsetting.

BONUS: Windward Birds, a la Rocking Heart arrangement. I can't find Determination and... on youtube, soooo you get Rocking Heart instead.

SHADOW HEARTS. The music is just. gyasfdsjghkf YES.

- near death experience is one of my favourite battle themes. Played in the first game.

- Vicious Battle in Europe from the second game, normal battle theme...

Dead Fingers Talk from the third for a trifecta of amazing normal battle themes.

As for other Shadow Hearts music...

- Old Smudged Map from SH1.

- Transience ~The Miracle~ coupled with...

- Alice in the second game makes me cry every time. Sad

- Lady Tears I is really pretty too. From the third game.

...and that's that for a while. :')

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. I knew you'd mention Ar Tonelico. Very Happy

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
Lol. I knew you'd mention Ar Tonelico. Very Happy

Lol well... I'm usually listening to the Hymmnos songs so you know. But the soundtrack music proper is really good too.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

rainichan wrote:
Valerie Valens wrote:

Oh my god yes THIS. I was fond of the battle theme, but by god that game itself... >:O

Beyond the Beyond tried though, most of the shittyness comes from the nintendo hard level of difficulty it has, and this is not a good thing in traditional style RPGs like this since it is not short, nor is the gameplay intense.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
rainichan wrote:
Valerie Valens wrote:

Beyond the Beyond tried though, most of the shittyness comes from the nintendo hard level of difficulty it has, and this is not a good thing in traditional style RPGs like this since it is not short, nor is the gameplay intense.

You want the complete 180 opposite of that? Have you ever played the PSOne game Heart of Darkness? It is insanely difficult, VERY LONG, there are NO save points and you can get through a third of the game and then make one bad decision which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to proceed!

I am not a fan...

Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret Of Evermore - The game got average reviews, apparently didnt live up to secret of mana with poor dialogue and even poorer music. What a load of crap!!! omg that game has a great sound track! some of the music is ambient noise admittedly, but some of that is great and makes the stages seem so much cooler, and there are alot of actual music tracks which me n alot of my friends love. Opening credits music is a great example.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:
rainichan wrote:
Valerie Valens wrote:

Yeah, the difficulty is what I rage at. I liked what I played through, but the difficulty was insane.

@D.G: Evermore was hard, but I liked the music.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Dark_Gaia
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,560

PostDark_Gaia Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

heh i can speed run that game so fast now. me and a couple mates have an evermore race each year, 3 tvs, 3 snes', 3 cartridges, n we set all challenges like no items, only use one weapon etc. heaps fun! but yeah when i played it thru the first time it was really hard, and i got stuck alot. but i was youngg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: