TerraEarth Forums

Thank God We Have Sensible People Here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:46 pm   Post subject: Thank God We Have Sensible People Here Reply with quote

Oh jesus.

I was just on the Genesis Awards Forums last night and I expressed two viewpoints:

1. My views against the health care bill pandering to people who won't work.
2. My belief that people coming to the US should learn English (for their own good, not because I'm for institutionalizing English as the sole language).

Boy I got barked at by everybody. I'm a close-minded, offensive idiot apparently.

This is why I like our forums the best. The people on here actually have a brain. I've vowed to not bring up any point of politics on those boards ever, because it's not worth it. That's my "let's talk about fanfiction" board, and that's it...

Jeez.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....

Why is this on Debate Island? (lol)

And yeah, some people are pretty dense and don't understand the difference between presenting a topic for discussion and calling everyone ignorant/naive/flat out stupid for having an opinion different than your own.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the ad hominems start flying, I stop debating.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
SoulBlazerFan
Crisis Historian

Level 18: Earth Spirit

Resident

Gems 10,267

PostSoulBlazerFan Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Thank God We Have Sensible People Here Reply with quote

I don't care much for getting into the health care bill. Seems like boring jargon to me anyway.

As for learning English, I agree that it should be learned by anyone that comes here with the intention to live and work. I would hate to be a manager anywhere and have employees I can't communicate with- we had someone like that at my job, and it was very frustrating to see someone slacking off simply because they didn't understand the language.

On the other hand, at least here in Jersey, Spanish has become a required language for anyone in Elementary School, so instead of having immigrants come here and learn our language, they are going with the opposite; forcing us to learn theirs. Not that I'm against that, but shouldn't parents have the same choice to not force their kids to learn a language if others are choosing not to learn ours?
"...at first it's fine and you think you have a dark side – it's exciting – and then you realise the dark side wins every time if you decide to indulge in it. It's also a completely different way of living when you know that...a different species of person." - Lana Del Rey
This User Has Completed

SBiF: Uppercutting cats since '09
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

about the english language, i agree. we have a similar problem here. if someone wants to live, work (or even just live) in an english-speaking country, i think they should make a serious effort to learn the language.

i also think a similar idea should apply to religion. if they are of a different religion, by all means practice their religion. but laws/rules of the country take priority. and, they shouldnt be trying to impose their religion on anyone. if, for example, they are required to pray 5 times a day (ie islam), they shouldnt expect their manager to give them a specific prayer room just because of that. if the majority of workers were muslim, sure. but for the sake of a couple of people? no.

//i dont mean any disrespect to muslims at all, its just that i know more about islam and its expectations than i do about any other non-christian religion. hence me using that as an example

anyway, back on topic...

as for the health system, i dont know too much about what is proposed in the US, but if its anything like the australian system, i believe that anyone who wishes to use it should at least be trying to make a living.

yeah, some people are idiots. they cant see the difference between a debate topic and a flame.

EDIT: ok, im disabling terrasense. it causes me more irritation than good.
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Health care: everyone is forced to pick something up for insurance or else we fine you! Also, this only applies to citizens, not to your government. Have fun, American citizens!

Love,
Your pals on Capital Hill.

Anyway...

This is mainly why I don't say anything on politics except for here, no joke. I'd be called names, told I'm a terrible human being, etc. Hell, I got shit for saying JESUS GOD ALMIGHTY WE'RE ALL HUMAN WHY THE HELL SHOULD IT MATTER WHAT COLOUR WE ARE WHEN WE'RE ALL HUMAN BEINGS, WE SHOULD BE TREATING EACH OTHER LIKE HUMAN BEINGS. I shit you not. "Bawww but that would be discrediting their culture and their history!!!" no it wouldn't, it would be acknowledging that they're a human being LIKE ME so I have no reason to be racist. I said NOTHING about their culture/history how the hell did that get brought into the argument?!

...Very Happy yeah, I still get annoyed by that one.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Flamez
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Im all for your new American health care bill; Australia already has a system like it and it works fine for most parts (all health systems are flawed with out ridiculous funding at the expense of other services)

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into the health care debate again. There's a lot of stuff that slipped in to get passed through the senate/house packaged into the bill that had nothing to do with the health care bill. Also, see above with the fact that we HAVE to have insurance or else they fine us for not paying them.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: