TerraEarth Forums

Real places in Terranigma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverPhoenix
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken wrote:
Blade wrote:
Another awesome thing was: naming all the planets of the solarsystem by thinking of Sailor Moon ^^

+1 Very Happy

+10 Very Happy

...what, dont you people know binary?
Level 15: Bloody Chariot

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
chicken wrote:
Blade wrote:
Another awesome thing was: naming all the planets of the solarsystem by thinking of Sailor Moon ^^

+1 Very Happy

+10 Very Happy

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who know trinary,
Those who mistake it for binary,
And those who don't know either. :p

All very enlightening information. Smile I had figured that Mosque was meant to be Moscow anyway, as there weren't any actual Mosques shown anywhere in the game (and let's face it, Beruga doesn't appear to be the religious type). Also, while Beruga's cult seems to be an analogue for Stalinism, the outfits that his followers wear remind me more of the Ku Klux Klan, what with their believes on human purism....

or was that only my interpretation of events?

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yomi's Evil Twin Intern wrote:
EverPhoenix wrote:
chicken wrote:
Blade wrote:

+1 Very Happy

+10 Very Happy

Those who know trinary,

All very enlightening information. Smile I had figured that Mosque was meant to be Moscow anyway, as there weren't any actual Mosques shown anywhere in the game (and let's face it, Beruga doesn't appear to be the religious type). Also, while Beruga's cult seems to be an analogue for Stalinism, the outfits that his followers wear remind me more of the Ku Klux Klan, what with their believes on human purism....

lol@ trinary. after computer systems, its pretty easy to think in base... well, almost anything. 2, 8, 10, 16 the favourites.

and yeah, the Mosque thing was proved with wikipedia. i think it might have even been this topic, but im too lazy to check.

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
YOMI wrote:
Those who know trinary,

lol@ trinary. after computer systems, its pretty easy to think in base... well, almost anything. 2, 8, 10, 16 the favourites.

and yeah, the Mosque thing was proved with wikipedia. i think it might have even been this topic, but im too lazy to check.

I had to learn the theory behind number bases in primary school (they ran out of material to teach me and three others in maths class, so they started pulling out the secondary school syllabus XD). We were taught how to do arithmetic in any base system.
I like the interesting ones along with the others - base phi (phinary? lol), and base 2i (I can't remember what that was called). XD

Last edited by Yet One More Idiot on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, we never did anything like that. we just got taught bases of integers. and really just how to add and invert. because computers are stupid, thats really all they can do. so why should we be any better? Cool Guy

Resident

Gems 8,720

PostYet One More Idiot Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
oh, we never did anything like that. we just got taught bases of integers. and really just how to add and invert. because computers are stupid, thats really all they can do. so why should we be any better? Cool Guy

Because.....we are better? Cool Guy

Very Happy

We did addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, generalising it to all integer bases. The base phi and base 2i I mentioned above were ones that I just found out about a couple of years ago, while I was Wiki-surfing. :p
Level 4: Living Statue

Gems 82

PostReshi Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Beluga's Lab
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyuleniy_Archipelago_(Kazakhstan)

might be Smile
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.

Gems 82

PostReshi Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Include the part with the brackets
subjectnamehere
Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 6,064

Postsubjectnamehere Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I posted here... Missed me? :3

I don't think Storkolm is Sweden. While the name is an obvious allusion to Stockholm, Sweden's capital, it's located in Norway and the game doesn't contain any references to Sweden or famous Swedish people aside from Hedyn, who never refers to Storkolm as his hometown.

I'd say it's more likely that Storkolm is a reference to Scandinavia in general (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland).

Also, that's a very interesting theory Reshi.
rayim
Legend shall speak

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:56 pm   Post subject: About Astarica Reply with quote

About Astarica (アスタリカ): I do think it is inspired by Machu Pichu, but the position is different from the real world one. The connection to it is more imaginative than other places, say Ayers Rock.

Here is the location of Astarica and Machu Pichu:

Machu Pichu is a lot souther. Quito is the best match – the most northern part of the Inca Empire. Astarica is where the letter "c" is.

In the Jap version the goblet they drink from in the alternative dimension (or the time of the Light Ark as some Japanese fan-sites say) is called 聖杯 which means ... HOLY GRAIL! This is very interesting as there were many expeditions sent by the royalty of Europe (Bloody Mary maybe? Laughing) to find the blessed fountain of youth! The most famous is the search of Ponce de Leon who found about the legend from... Puerto Rico (rica/rico=plentiful in Spanish). Costa Rica, another place connected with the legends of the Fountain of Youth is a bit more to the north from our "Astarica".

As for the name, it probably means "rich/plentiful in stars" (as those pyramids were use for sky observations too) because Astarica = Aster (アスター) + Rica (リカ).

Later Edit: There's something I missed, but remembered after playing Trickster: Japanese write "Astec" and not Aztec (they write it with ス and not with ズ) – so it could be a suggestion for the Aztecs, although they are on the eastern side of the continent...
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

now that is something new! good work Very Happy

Gems 82

PostReshi Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

subjectnamehere wrote:

I think so too. Since it is at a very similar location like Beluga's Lab in the Caspian Sea.
And Seal Hunting might be considered as evil Wink
rayim
Legend shall speak

Gems 131

Postrayim Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Reshi wrote:
subjectnamehere wrote:

I think so too. Since it is at a very similar location like Beluga's Lab in the Caspian Sea.
And Seal Hunting might be considered as evil Wink

The location suits it perfectly, but as real life inspiration I think the creators considered Nargin Island which was used as a military (and who knows what) base during the Soviet Union (source).

~~~

Now, about the original poster's opinion that Indus from Terranigma is not the actual Indus. It really is Indus River. Tigris or Euphrates have their terminus point in the Persian Gulf. Which is not the case with Indus River (which has it in the Arabian Sea, exactly like in Tarranigma).
Look at the picture: with red is Indus in Terranigma and with blue the real-world Indus.

~~~

Exclamation Later Edit: About Yunkou. The Chinese version of the game states that this city is Nanjing (南京) and I think is a better localization than Shanghai which is a port-city.
Also, now that I've seen the city's name on a building in the game, i'm 100% it's Nanjing. Gotta visit it when I go to China XD

Huball
Level 3: Cadet

Level 3: Cadet

Gems 63

PostHuball Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice findings rayim!

I will update the list!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Terranigma All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: