TerraEarth Forums

TerraEarth: Absolute Final Release
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

you will hear your cool theme in every storyline. the good and two neutral storylines fight against you, and in your storyline you fight raini and freedan.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Tandro wrote:
you will hear your cool theme in every storyline. the good and two neutral storylines fight against you, and in your storyline you fight raini and freedan.

...so now this begs the question: does Freedan get all NOOOOO MY QUEEEEEEN if I die? Laughing

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so, I haven't really been following the production of this or anything (for shame), but I'm just unziping it now and maybe having no prior knowledge of the game will make things more awesome. I'll try to review it for you once I'm done :3.

EDIT: So first issue; it seems like half the soundtrack is missing, and it exits the game everytime it can't find a song.
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to download RPG Maker and install the RTP. There's a link to that in the first page.

arkisdabomb

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that, but it's still telling me that audio files are missing.
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that Hammerit's sprites lack transparency around the borders.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got around to starting on it.

Haven't been playing long, but it really seems improved. The battle system in particular. The ATB system makes things hectic, but perfectly manageable; after a few battles, you're flying through menus, assigning actions, and the action on-screen almost never comes to a stop.

I'm interested to see how the rest of this plays out. Cool Guy

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

arkisdabomb wrote:
I did that, but it's still telling me that audio files are missing.

Some times when you are unzipping a .rar file if the process gets interrupted it can screw up. Try re-installing everything and if that still doesn't work, send me a print-screen of the error messages you get.

@Valerie: Probably not just Hammerit to be honest. I had a bit of trouble with some of the sprites (this is why I need an experienced spriter).

@Freedan: Thank Valerie for that. She pushed and pushed me to get an ATB and I finally found a decent one, so I threw it in.

Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've put in a few more hours, and it's a blast. I've mostly been doing sidequests, but kind of hit the wall on some of them until I've leveled up a lot. The end of the Brewmaster's quests, the expert fisherman achievement, the fight club.... I've had my ass handed to me in each case, being woefully underleveled.

I like the occasional lampshade hanging. There's some references that only TE trilogy fans will get, some that only TE members will get, and enough humour for everyone else. But there's not too much of that stuff going on at once; it's reserved for punchlines, and the occasional non-sequitur in the story, which lets it stand out more. Even professional developers sometimes throw a bunch of stuff in and figure "well, some of it is bound to be funny".

I've already put in about 4.5 hours, and I've only gotten past Malizzo in the first scenario. I can't imagine how much playtime the whole package will give me.

Don't skip the sidequests, fellow players. There's a lot to do, and it's fun. Nothing is too complicated, nothing is too time-consuming.

Learning techniques from the weapons was a good idea. It gives you an incentive to not give two people the same weapon. Even if one is weaker than the other, their techniques will be different, which will give some variety in battle. And the techniques are balanced, too. Everyone on the team (Raini, Freedan, SBF, Coz) has a specialty. Raini is the Kween-of-all-trades (healer, decent damage), Freedan is the tank (slow ATB recovery, but strongest ATK/DEF, and hits hard with techniques), SBF is learning elemental techs, and Coz recovers MP for the entire party to keep them going. A lot of games saddle you with a load character that doesn't seem to contribute enough, but everyone is necessary here.

This game will keep me going for a long time. Awesome stuff. Cool Guy

And:

spoilers wrote:
Riverson has 225000 HP?! Jesus Christ! It's so high, the numbers are all squished together, you can hardly read it!

Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
So I've put in a few more hours, and it's a blast. I've mostly been doing sidequests, but kind of hit the wall on some of them until I've leveled up a lot. The end of the Brewmaster's quests, the expert fisherman achievement, the fight club.... I've had my ass handed to me in each case, being woefully underleveled.

I like the occasional lampshade hanging. There's some references that only TE trilogy fans will get, some that only TE members will get, and enough humour for everyone else. But there's not too much of that stuff going on at once; it's reserved for punchlines, and the occasional non-sequitur in the story, which lets it stand out more. Even professional developers sometimes throw a bunch of stuff in and figure "well, some of it is bound to be funny".

I've already put in about 4.5 hours, and I've only gotten past Malizzo in the first scenario. I can't imagine how much playtime the whole package will give me.

Don't skip the sidequests, fellow players. There's a lot to do, and it's fun. Nothing is too complicated, nothing is too time-consuming.

Learning techniques from the weapons was a good idea. It gives you an incentive to not give two people the same weapon. Even if one is weaker than the other, their techniques will be different, which will give some variety in battle. And the techniques are balanced, too. Everyone on the team (Raini, Freedan, SBF, Coz) has a specialty. Raini is the Kween-of-all-trades (healer, decent damage), Freedan is the tank (slow ATB recovery, but strongest ATK/DEF, and hits hard with techniques), SBF is learning elemental techs, and Coz recovers MP for the entire party to keep them going. A lot of games saddle you with a load character that doesn't seem to contribute enough, but everyone is necessary here.

This game will keep me going for a long time. Awesome stuff. Cool Guy

And:

spoilers wrote:
Riverson has 225000 HP?! Jesus Christ! It's so high, the numbers are all squished together, you can hardly read it!

Man, this is a great review, Freedan! Thanks!

And regarding the spoiler... hahaha.

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Raini is the Kween-of-all-trades (healer, decent damage), Freedan is the tank (slow ATB recovery, but strongest ATK/DEF, and hits hard with techniques), SBF is learning elemental techs, and Coz recovers MP for the entire party to keep them going.

Very Happy Damn straight I am. I mean, what use would I be if I didn't do damage with my hammers of doom?

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now at the forest quest with the Goblins and the Poison Plants on the Revenge Storyline. The ATB Certainly helped to keep things interesting! Though a lot of the battle effects are still sadly missing.

No worries, perhaps for TE:B I'll see what I can do to push for a more complete RTP-Free experience.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I've taught you the syntax of RPG Maker VX, your pre-existing knowledge of game design should prove to be invaluable. Very Happy

How goes Lesson 2, by the way?

And I'm hoping you don't mind, but TE:B is going to have only one soundtrack, and it will be entirely comprised of original music, with a few exceptions (basically just real music tracks that I want).

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, I always preferred the Original/Integral soundtrack in TE:A. Very Happy

Perhaps I could contribute some extra compositions, but with the onus on you to arrange and master the audio.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a particular way to get Riverson to appear? The first time I found him, I was nowhere near prepared; I'm 'tying up loose ends' before heading to Shia, and thought I'd try again. But I'm not getting the warning I got the first time, with the cat falling in the water. Meh/Worried

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Fan Made Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: