TerraEarth Forums

First Annual Draw Muhammed Day
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arkisdabomb
Level 9: Sabre Dog

Level 9: Sabre Dog

Gems 2,148

Postarkisdabomb Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 pm   Post subject: First Annual Draw Muhammed Day Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ok4njJXI8&feature=popular

What are your thoughts on this? As much as I'm all for free speech and all that jazz, I think this is just going to start a shitstorm that the cons will heavily outweigh the pros.[/url]
Manibrandr System
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the the cons if there happens to be one, will be quite negligible in the face of the sheer magnitude of the pro. Anything that takes society a few steps away from a theocracy is a good thing, and a cause worth dying for.
The Undying TE Fanatic

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Gems 8,090
Location: Tiptoeing the line between confidence and arrogance.

PostJason Tandro Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Insulting and berating those with religion is not a step away from theocracy. It is a step towards making religious people second-class, and victims. 5% of the world is atheist. They are the minority. So with all due respect to my atheist friends: you do what you want and I'll wear crosses, display the ten commandments in my courtrooms post nativity scenes on public property and freely express my religion and if you all don't like it you're free to not look at it.

Nobody has explained to me how posting religious texts in courthouses violates anybody's rights? Does it annoy you? Too bad. The rights of the majority should NEVER bow to the whim of the minority if the minority rights are not being violated.

Rest in peace, old avatar.
Freedan

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is it? This is what our soldiers are fighting and dying for? They lay down their lives so we can use our right to free speech like some idiot kid taunting others on the playground?

Freedom of speech is something to be valued, since we're fortunate enough to live in a country that allows it. It's not something to be abused just for the sake of stirring shit up for kicks.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a pretty big fan of free speech. I think the shrieking and death threats over the smallest slight are bullshit, and are pretty hypocritical for a religion that claims to be all about peace. But what is deliberately antagonizing people further going to accomplish? Other than strengthening their resolve, that is.

Petty, childish bullshit.

tay120n64
The Koholint Knight

Gems 7,572

Posttay120n64 Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Petty, childish bullshit.

+1.

A religion that condones violence = Deliberately trying to provoke asinine behavior

There's nothing justified about this sort of thing.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Windows Live Messenger
EverPhoenix

Resident

Gems 8,804

PostEverPhoenix Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

this is as good as sticking a metaphorical fan right in front of the shit that is islam extremism. nothing good can come of it.

sure, itll be wrong of them to react in a violent manner - but this is equivalent to drawing an insulting picture of God and sticking it in the face of a serious Christian without a sense of humour.

seems like, as freedan said, something childish. just further angering those who think they have reason to cause violence on religious grounds.
Hail to the King baby!

Level 16: Cursed Armor

Resident

Gems 7,228

PostFlamez Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

EverPhoenix wrote:
this is as good as sticking a metaphorical fan right in front of the shit that is islam extremism. nothing good can come of it.

sure, itll be wrong of them to react in a violent manner - but this is equivalent to drawing an insulting picture of God and sticking it in the face of a serious Christian without a sense of humour.

seems like, as freedan said, something childish. just further angering those who think they have reason to cause violence on religious grounds.

The difference being people have drawn insulting pictures of god, and have not been murdered because of it. People who have drawn Muhammad have.

Im all for this, as I said in another topic, Im sick of Muslims and their 'peaceful' religion of hate and discrimination.

Joined TE on May 30, 2002, 2:26am!
Yeah, beat that.

I'm hot stuff.

http://terraearth.proboards.com - Original TE forums.
http://www.facebook.com/lochy - I gots facebook! yay for social networking?
psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

my my, this is boring
manifested spam

Level 17: Jealous Spirit

Resident

Gems 7,352

Postchicken Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

what... the... shit...

i cannot believe somebody came up with such an idea... so freedom of speech should be the outcome and/or the cause of why doing all this? pft.

i dont think its okay to mock ANY religion and thus, you cannot fight fire with fire.

winner of the following awards:

Biggest Spammer
Most Annoying Poster
the Pie Award Very Happy
Funniest Poster

posting more than one exclamation mark is a sign for mental disturbtion...

yay for jase Very Happy
inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of torn on the issue. Note that I haven't watched the linked video, but:

On one hand? Yes, I'm all for it. Islam is not the PURE SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE OF THE WORLD in terms of religion. All religion gets made fun of at some point, and they are no different. My religion doesn't get pandered to, and neither does Buddhism, the LDS church, Shintoism, Hinduism... why should you guys be any different? Oh right, the rest of us don't claim to want to kill everyone because someone did something you don't like. If you don't like it, go back to your country and ignore the rest of the world.

On the other hand... it's childish and petty, like the others have said. It'll probably spur an attack on us again, and I'm not really for that. I don't feel like the South Park debacle should be made even bigger since that's essentially what this is probably a spin off of.

Doing this is like waving a red cape in front of an already angry bull: it's already charged at us once, but this time it's getting ready to charge into the bystanders who are watching the bullfight and those who aren't but are unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, again, I'm slightly torn. They need to be told GROW UP AND GET OVER IT, but not in this way.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Jason Tandro
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my moral credo's has always been Apathy is the best medicine. So Islam want's to say "you draw our prophet, we kill you."

Let the babies (who wear their diaper on their head to prove what shitheads they are) have their bottle and ignore them.

Manibrandr System

Gems 6,953

PostManibrandr System Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to ignore someone who already has an excuse to bomb our first world nations anyways. These terrorists don't care about the collateral, be it lives or property, they only care about instituting changes that favour them exclusively, and violence is only a vehicle to that end. We cannot afford to lie down and ignore the problem, hoping it will go away, because as far as I see it, there's only 2 possible outcomes from this apathy. Either the nations fall one by one into the dark ages of Islamic theocracy, or the sleeping giant is awakened, unleashing retribution unlike the world has ever seen, it will make operation shock and awe seem like child's play, the collateral would be far greater than if we stood up and told them in unison that we WILL not be intimidated and we WILL fight back if we have to.

I still have yet to hear a sound argument as to why it is not right to mock religion that doesn't sound like an argument from a persecution complex. You say that it will make them second-class citizens, I find that frankly ridiculous, especially in the face of the fact that atheists are already treated as such in the US, with them being the least trusted minority despite being statistically the least prone to being criminals.

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the collateral would be far greater than if we stood up and told them in unison that we WILL not be intimidated and we WILL fight back if we have to.

Fighting the extremists, dismantling their network, and instituting a government that doesn't reign by terror is how we stand up and tell them this.

Mocking their religion doesn't hurt them. If anything, it only serves to strengthen their resolve. All it does is make a few people on the internet feel better.

psychokind
fuck yeah!

Resident

Gems 10,444

Postpsychokind Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedan wrote:
Quote:
the collateral would be far greater than if we stood up and told them in unison that we WILL not be intimidated and we WILL fight back if we have to.

Fighting the extremists, dismantling their network, and instituting a government that doesn't reign by terror is how we stand up and tell them this.

too bad we haven't accomplished anything of that yet Very Happy
The Undying TE Fanatic

Gems 8,090

PostJason Tandro Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie Valens wrote:

I still have yet to hear a sound argument as to why it is not right to mock religion that doesn't sound like an argument from a persecution complex. You say that it will make them second-class citizens, I find that frankly ridiculous, especially in the face of the fact that atheists are already treated as such in the US, with them being the least trusted minority despite being statistically the least prone to being criminals.

And pray tell what sources are you quoting here, because I can guarantee you that in America the least trusted minority is more likely based on a racial quality than a religious quality.

And you say there is no sound argument not to mock religion that doesn't come from a persecution complex? How about common decency? I know this is a foreign concept to many people who don't believe in religion, but being decent to other people ACTUALLY WORKS.

Do you think you and I would get along if I were to attack and demean you and the minorities to which you belong? If I was out there saying "fuck the faggots, commies, niggers, spics, hebes, etc." would anybody take me seriously?

Now what you are doing is exactly what you accuse religion of being notorious for: being a bigot. You are going to mock and insult a religion simply on the basis that it exists. How does that make you a moral standard around which we should rally?

[Edit: And it's NOT ridiculous, Val. Christian teachers are being banned from schools for wearing crosses, cities are getting sued for displaying the ten commandments in court houses (which as I've said does not violate anybody's rights), the whole nativity scene falderal. It seems like WE have to bow down to whatever YOU want or else you punish us with legal retribution. How is that not terrorism?]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> Debate Island All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: