TerraEarth Forums

Xbox 2/Xenon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedan
Level 19: Soul Blazer

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:56 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That first quote is right. Last I heard (it was a long time ago though, may have changed), Microsoft was eating $150 or so on each system it sold. They were hoping to cover their hardware losses with software sales.

The second quote is half right. Nintendo has generally stayed away from all the extra bells and whistles, and their games have usually been more about the gameplay (to me, they're just more fun.... that's why I'm a Nintendo diehard at heart). But they're no less of a profit-whore than the other companies. They've released about half a dozen variations on the Gameboy alone, squeezing as much money out of it as they can.

They focus on the gameplay more than the extras, but they're still a company out to make money.

Rom Manic
Level 6: Stone Golum

Level 6: Stone Golum

Gems 1,000

PostRom Manic Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate both quotes.

For the first one, Microsoft has only made ONE Video Game console. And for the record, they probably don't care because they own the biggest market in the world. You think Xbox is their biggest source of income? Get real. How many people do you think even HAVE the greatest console on earth? Not many, but let me tell you that there are more people with Windows opn a PC by an exponential factor.

And for the second quote, thats only one side of the freakin coin. And Freedan is right, they only go halfway on it. It's not just about the arts of the game, it's also about appealing to the biggest audience possible. You gotta take the whole cookie rather than take a bite from it.

NoA needs to shut it's mouth if it wants to avoid having a foot put in there again.
Coz
Level 12: Soul Knight

Resident

Gems 6,017

PostCoz Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

What they meant with every system they sell, it's that they take into account every XBOX sold. They aren't saying that they have more than one console.

Also, while that might be true, to everyone's(even Microsoft) surprise, they had profits. How? Well the combination of Halo, online gamming and monthly fees. The 'small' constant monthly fees for online gamming in the end pay more than a one time fee for a game.

And last, I know that many of the people at Nintendo, even it's president, are gamers too. I think that what they are trying to say is "yes we are a company who wants your money. But hey, we like making games, so why not get your money by making games instead of something more profitable?", seeing as how they have lately been behind in sales with Microsoft and Sony, and that they are behind Sony in profits, this might be true for the home consoles they have released.
Dark Samurai
Level 8: Amarante

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Rom Manic wrote:

How many people do you think even HAVE the greatest console on earth?

I have three of the greatest consoles on earth (in my opinion) PS2, Game cube, and the super nintendo. I mean I have an xbox but I'm questioning if it was worth even buying. I'm actually going to take it apart here in a couple of months and install the good parts in my computer...mainly the hard-drive.

Rom Manic wrote:

It's not just about the arts of the game, it's also about appealing to the biggest audience possible.

sad but true... wasn't that a great song?... well anyway, you got to have money so you can make the games that you like, and hope that the fans like it too... Well that's my hope. But they mainly make games for the demographics which just means "for the money."

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally (only opinion, I can't really back it up with any facts), I think Nintendo connects better with gamers because, like it was said before, a lot of people at Nintendo are gamers themselves. They probably make games that they'd find entertaining themselves, and figure gamers would probably get in to the same thing.

X-Box guys are mainly businessmen and not gamers. They're out to make a quick buck (more so than the other companies, I'd say), which is why they've put out so many sports games; they see the numbers that buy them, so they continue to make them.

Not to say that X-Box developers don't consider the gamers too, but I would imagine that Nintendo is run by many more (hell, Miyamoto himself is a huge gamer).

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Level 20: Guardian of Pandora

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... most of the games I've seen for X-Box, save a VERY small few, were just generic games you'd see on a PC (generic shooter games, generic action games) with little to no plot involved. They really are just out to make Bill Gates even more insanely rich than he already is.

And I agree with Samurai, the best consoles on the earth are hooked up to my TV at the moment; my PS2, my SNES, and my Sega Genesis.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Dark Samurai

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with classics that's when they were still trying to find the market
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, all the old school gamers (like me Very Happy ) are still trying to find the games their parents wouldn't get them, or that are now almost impossible to find.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Windows Live Messenger
Dark Samurai

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an old school gamer too. and yes i am looking for the games my mother never got me... but that was because we had little money to spend on that stuff... or at least that's what i was told lol

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*Old school gamer*

16 - 17 years, I've been playing. Ever since I was old enough to hold and use a controller. Cool Guy

We don't have much old stuff around where I live, so I'm forced to turn to emulation. But some of the best stuff came on the SNES.

Dark Samurai

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 19 and I've been playing games since i was around 4 0r 5 well as long as i can remember

Resident

Gems 10,167

PostFreedan Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember a time when there wasn't video games around here. Even when I was really young, we had the old Sega system. When I was 3, I started playing the NES (I don't imagine I did too well, but I remember my first game was Super Mario Bros. Cool Guy).

Then I moved up to Dragon Warrior when I was 4. First RPG. Cool

20 years old now, and my love of games shows no sign of dying. Very Happy

inferiare
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing for a good 16 years. First ever game was Chip n' Dale for the NES. Cool

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Dark Samurai

Gems 500

PostDark Samurai Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to say but my first rpg was FF3 lol Laughing Crying or Very sad

but I remember my grandfather renting games when I was just starting so he could beat me and he never did, lol
TerraEarth Historian

Administrator

Gems 14,506

Postinferiare Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

First RPG was Mario RPG for the SNES. Cool That game was the shizzle. It came out when I was 9 or so, and in the three days I had it, I could get up to the Volcano and to the bosses of that level. Not too bad for a 9 year old who had never played an RPG before.

Presia firle anw faura,
van futare parge iem...
Melenas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TerraEarth Forums Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: